And The Money Goes To...

Pablo

Pablo, really, it's people like you and a few other Brazilian forumers here with no respect that ruin my perception of the city. The more I visit the forums, the more I hope Rio doesn't win because it seems to have the most rude and ignorant citizens of all the cities bidding. I guess the fact that the United States team and others got booed at during the 2007 PanAm games backs this up.

I am not scared. I think I was blind.

R u blind? I mean we can't see you...so we can't tell??

But hey, Pablo, I believe Obama IS going to Copenhagen. So that blows your dubious connection there RIGHT OUT OF THE WATER!

And do you think Rio/Brazil will not have similar shenannigans come 2014? (I won't even speak 2016)?? If you don't think so, then you've got a lot of growing up to do. Those are the ways of the world, Pablo, since time immemorial.

Pablo, really, it's people like you and a few other Brazilian forumers here with no respect that ruin my perception of the city. The more I visit the forums, the more I hope Rio doesn't win because it seems to have the most rude and ignorant citizens of all the cities bidding. I guess the fact that the United States team and others got booed at during the 2007 PanAm games backs this up.

Kyle, may I disagree you?

The Americans were booed in Rio? I didn't know that. It is really upsetting to me.

Yes, USA, Cuba, Argentina, Venezuela and Lula (more than the previous combined) were booed in Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony...

In a soccer stadium people booes everything. One more reason for me being against Maracana in opening ceremony... The aura of football will be present... always...

Pablo, if you want to help the city you support (I think it's Rio), please don't start useless discussions here...

Try to focus on valid discussion...

Sometimes people here are reasonable to say newbies are annoying...

Just a quick question for you Pablo, are you from Chicago? It seems that you're trying to post bits and pieces of news that may seem negative to the Chicago bid. Unfortunately it's not really working especially if you don't really know the behind the scenes of the bid process or even the overall business of the city. If you're relying on just snippets from Chicago Tribune, try reading more and understand the bigger picture. If you're not from Chicago then let me explain to you that the Eastgate Village, which was mentioned in the article was planned way before Daley decided to bid for the Olympics. Real estate developments' lifetime, especially planned communities like Eastgate take about 2 to 3 years of conception, which means that plans for the development may have been made in 2002. The Phase II of IV was just completed last year. Fogelson has also expressed to continue the development of the South Loop, including the area where McCormick Place is located after the success of Central Station. He had made an announcement about 3 or 4 years ago to develop a billion dollar planned community near Lake Shore Drive/Soldier Field area over the Illinois Railroad tracks. I don't know if that's still feasible since the economic recession though. As for Scott, if I remember correctly, he was born, grew up and now a community member in the West Side. I think it's a lot more fitting for someone who has known the neighborhood his entire life to invest in his own neighborhood, don't you think? Especially if the Olympic Games would be the catalyst for development in such a depressed area. My point is, is that the Committee and Daley are not hiding the fact that they want the Olympic venues to be located in areas that may gain the most when it comes to more infrastructure developments.

Patrick Ryan and the Committee has reapeatedly said that the Olympic Village is a billion dollar project that will include many well-known developers and therefore risks would be a lot more distributed. If your intention is to post something that implicitly say that many well-connected developers are taking advantage of the opportunity to develop the Village for their own gain, well maybe I guess it's a good thing. It's a sign of confidence. At least we're taking a different approach to developing the Village rather than Vancouver's.

Plus, many of the movers and shakers in Chicago happen to be real estate developers, who are reliable when it comes to civic duties, ie. charities, fundraising, and the quest for the Games.

Oh if you wish to provide us more perspectives of the Olympics, especially from the Chicago Tribune, why don't you post the news article about some recent shootings in Rio that had to shut down a highway stretch that connects the city from the airport. If I remember correctly, the Trib pointed this out as a problem that may put off the IOC members.

Archived