Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mercator

The World Cups to come.....

The thing about an American bid is most of the stadiums in the USA aren't natural grass.  Qwest Field was hosting the Gold Cup last weekend and they put natural grass over the turf.  So the grass was dead.  They played 4 games on dead grass, by the 4th match between Canada and the USA, everyone was falling all over the place.  They would definately need to fix that up, so maybe more soccer specific stadiums instead of using NFL stadiums.  Im not sure if all the NFL stadiums are using turf or not though, but so far with stadium in Carson and I believe San Jose things are looking better but they need a larger capacity.  Im sure the World Cup will return to the States in the future, I think other countries deserve a chance, FIFA went on a limb and awarded the USA with the 1994 World Cup.  Other countries deserve the chance too.  Share the wealth :)

I think other countries deserve a chance, FIFA went on a limb and awarded the USA with the 1994 World Cup.  Other countries deserve the chance too.  Share the wealth :)

But after, say, the 12 wealthiest countires in the world -- what other sane (sane, being the operative word) nation would spend -- OK, now projecting after 2014 -- at least $7 or $8 billion to host a 1-sport, month-long tournament?  

The argument for the US is that it probably has 90% of the stadia and other infrastructure (hotels, up-to-grade airports, media facilities, etc.) already in place.  Whereas a new nation has to go to poorhouse to host this event.

But hey, if you want Pakistan (BTW, land of suicide bombers) or Nigeria or whatever...to put another generation into debt (instead of building schools and hospitals, or putting food into their people's mouths and bellies, etc.), then go right ahead.  It's NOT my money or future to mortgage...

There is no exception on the capacity - all stadiums must be 40,000 - all of South Africa's venues are equal to or above that mark. The minimum number of stadium is 8.

MCG would definately be used. 100,000 for the final. Plus they can increase the capacity by digging in and lowering the pitch. Even so, part of the new lower tier has been cut in to fit the Commonwealth Games track, so it is even smaller than European and Asian stadiums with athletics tracks around them. And the the Maracana is an oval stadium so if its good enough for the Brazilians, it will be good enough for FIFA. Also Telstra Stadium can be increased to 90,000 as well - this is planned to happen about 10 years down the track when the stadium has enough money.

Australian Bid I think would be;

Sydney - Telstra Stadium (90,000 - 2 Semis), Aussie Stadium (42,000)

Melbourne - MCG (100,000 - final), Telstra Dome (55,000 - quarter)

Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium (53,000 - quarter), Gabba (42,000)

Adelaide - AAMI Stadium (60,000 - after planned upgrade - quarter)

Perth - Belmont Stadium (65,000 - quarter), ME Stadium (40,000)

Newcastle - EA Stadium (40,000)

Gold Coast - Robina Stadium (40,000)

Townsville - DF Stadium (40,000)

Canberra - Bruce Stadium (40,000)

Total - 13 stadiums.

I don't know if NZ and Australia can co-host anymore as we are in different confederations.

But hey, if you want Pakistan (BTW, land of suicide bombers) or Nigeria or whatever...to put another generation into debt (instead of building schools and hospitals, or putting food into their people's mouths and bellies, etc.), then go right ahead.  It's NOT my money or future to mortgage...

Way to put words in my mouth.  And totally disregard what i had written above what you quoted!

The thing about an American bid is most of the stadiums in the USA aren't natural grass.  Qwest Field was hosting the Gold Cup last weekend and they put natural grass over the turf.  So the grass was dead.  They played 4 games on dead grass, by the 4th match between Canada and the USA, everyone was falling all over the place.  They would definately need to fix that up, so maybe more soccer specific stadiums instead of using NFL stadiums.  Im not sure if all the NFL stadiums are using turf or not though, but so far with stadium in Carson and I believe San Jose things are looking better but they need a larger capacity.  Im sure the World Cup will return to the States in the future, I think other countries deserve a chance, FIFA went on a limb and awarded the USA with the 1994 World Cup.  Other countries deserve the chance too.  Share the wealth :)

This was not a problem when they put natural grass over the artificial turf in Giants Stadium for the 1994 World Cup, where prelims, quarter and semifinals were held.

Sounds like the grounds crew at Qwest Field do not know what they are doing?  ???

There is no exception on the capacity - all stadiums must be 40,000 - all of South Africa's venues are equal to or above that mark. The minimum number of stadium is 8.

MCG would definately be used. 100,000 for the final. Plus they can increase the capacity by digging in and lowering the pitch. Even so, part of the new lower tier has been cut in to fit the Commonwealth Games track, so it is even smaller than European and Asian stadiums with athletics tracks around them. And the the Maracana is an oval stadium so if its good enough for the Brazilians, it will be good enough for FIFA. Also Telstra Stadium can be increased to 90,000 as well - this is planned to happen about 10 years down the track when the stadium has enough money.

Australian Bid I think would be;

Sydney - Telstra Stadium (90,000 - 2 Semis), Aussie Stadium (42,000)

Melbourne - MCG (100,000 - final), Telstra Dome (55,000 - quarter)

Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium (53,000 - quarter), Gabba (42,000)

Adelaide - AAMI Stadium (60,000 - after planned upgrade - quarter)

Perth - Belmont Stadium (65,000 - quarter), ME Stadium (40,000)

Newcastle - EA Stadium (40,000)

Gold Coast - Robina Stadium (40,000)

Townsville - DF Stadium (40,000)

Canberra - Bruce Stadium (40,000)

Total - 13 stadiums.

I don't know if NZ and Australia can co-host anymore as we are in different confederations.

The lowering of the MCG pitch would never happen.. It is possible but the AFL and MCC would never allow it. The Victorina governmnet would have to be preety corrupt before that eve happens.

The only porblem with that is that FIFA requires a fair share of rectangular stadiums. Do you think FIFA will allow semi finals and quater finals to be held on oval shapped pitches (ie; Telstra Dome, Perth Stadium, AMII, Telstra Stadium and the MCG?)

I dont think the AFL would be to happy about the FFA using its 6 largest stadiums.

That's the problem with this country - the AFL act like god - tough titties is all I can say - this is the world cup for crying out loud - they should be honoured such a sporting event will grace their stadiums. They have changed the competition to fit around Sydney 2000 and Melbourne 2006, so they can bloody well do it again.

I don't see the problem with oval stadiums as a number of stadium including those hosting the final match, have had athletics tracks and most australian oval stadium can't fit an athletics track. FIFA will just have to like it, or lump it. We're not going to go building massive rectangular stadiums when we have perfectly good and modern oval ones.

Do you think FIFA will allow semi finals and quater finals to be held on oval shapped pitches (ie; Telstra Dome, Perth Stadium, AMII, Telstra Stadium and the MCG?)

I think this wouldn´t be a problem, since the stadium capacity and pitch measurements match FIFA requirements. For broadcasting, it could be even better, with more options to  place cameras safely.

Im sure the World Cup will return to the States in the future, I think other countries deserve a chance, FIFA went on a limb and awarded the USA with the 1994 World Cup.  Other countries deserve the chance too.  Share the wealth :)

It´s a certainty that USA will get the WC again in the future, I just don´t agree  this second Cup coming so early. i´d like to see a WC in China and Australia before coming again to the USA. Definetely, there´s a lot of potential in these 2 countries for football development.

That's the problem with this country - the AFL act like god - tough titties is all I can say - this is the world cup for crying out loud - they should be honoured such a sporting event will grace their stadiums. They have changed the competition to fit around Sydney 2000 and Melbourne 2006, so they can bloody well do it again.

I don't see the problem with oval stadiums as a number of stadium including those hosting the final match, have had athletics tracks and most australian oval stadium can't fit an athletics track. FIFA will just have to like it, or lump it. We're not going to go building massive rectangular stadiums when we have perfectly good and modern oval ones.

Yes the AFL is a bit of a hitler when it comes to some stadiums (ie; Gabba, Subiaco, Telstra Dome) though like you said, its time to move on.

Though if Australia was to host, there could be a lot of value in upgrading many of our smaller rectangular stadiums. After the World Cup, obviously there is going to be more support for the sport and local leagues could well do with the larger venues (mainly in Perth, Adelaide, western Sydney and Melbourne) and with Rugby also expanding, many clubs could find new homes at rectangular grounds rather then playing at an empty Telstra Stadium each week.

How many countries can really host the World Cup nowadays?

With or WITHOUT going into debt and mortgaging a whole generation of the unborn?   ???

With or WITHOUT going into debt and mortgaging a whole generation of the unborn?   ???

Most likely without. But, one can never know about FIFA here.  :P