The World Cups to come.....

OK. We know that the 2014 World Cup could be in South America but when will it be held in....

....Canada?

....Australia?

....the Middle East?

....The Netherlands or Denmark?

....Poland/Greece/Turkey

....China?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK. We know that the 2014 World Cup could be in South America but when will it be held in....

....Canada?

....Australia?

....the Middle East?

....The Netherlands or Denmark?

....Poland/Greece/Turkey

....China?

To some of us here, a World Cup for Canada would be a "major risk" for FIFA to take.

2018 will be a tussle between China and England with 2022 allotted to the loser, IMO.

2026, FIFA may stick it's neck out and give Australia a chance if that country isn't chasing the Olympic Games again by then.

This is how I see it:

2014 - Brazil

2018 - USA

2022 - China

2026 - Europe/ England or Russia

FIFA won't want to wait 20 years between two European World Cups. 2022 is the latest possible date for the next European WC but I think 2018 should be Europe, as every thid tournament should be in Europe IMHO.

The rotation of the tournament:

2006- Europe (Germany)

2010- Africa (SA)

2014- South America (Brazil)

2018- Europe (England/ Scotland&England??)

2022- Asia (???)

2026- North America

2030- Europe (Spain)

2034- Africa

2038- South America

2042- Europe (Italy?)

CONCACAF and Europe are the next two hosts of the world cup, and CONCACAF will probably go to Canada if the 2007 would youth championships turn a profit. Blatter has hinted many times that CONCACAF's only hope right now is Canada

the next European host will probably, unfortunatly be England, but i would rather it be Denmark-Sweden or Russia

This is how I see it:

2014 - Brazil

2018 - USA

2022 - China

2026 - Europe/ England or Russia

FIFA won't want to wait 20 years between two European World Cups. 2022 is the latest possible date for the next European WC but I think 2018 should be Europe, as every thid tournament should be in Europe IMHO.

It's moved past that 'every 3rd tournament' mindset-- which was never really a World Cup thing but a Summer Olympics thing.  Didn't it always alternate between South AMerica and Europe?  SO how does the every 3rd for Europe rationale hold for the WC TODAY?  

90 - Italy

94 - USA

98 - France

02 - Korea/Japan

06 - Germany

10 - South Africa

I have not seen anything which says 'every 3rd WC ought to return to Europe.'  I strongly disagree.  I read FIFA's intentions as opening it up more to the world and not just Europe.  I say

14 - Brazil

18 - USA (that's 24 years since 1994) long enough for it to return.

CONCACAF and Europe are the next two hosts of the world cup, and CONCACAF will probably go to Canada if the 2007 would youth championships turn a profit. Blatter has hinted many times that CONCACAF's only hope right now is Canada

the next European host will probably, unfortunatly be England, but i would rather it be Denmark-Sweden or Russia

Blatter is like Rogge, in terms of "wanting" Canada to host a World Cup. However, those other guys may differ big time. I don't think we need to put examples here because it has been debated over and over again.

2010 - South Africa

2014 - Brazil

2018 - USA

2022 - China

2026 - England

2030 - Morocco

2034 - Argentina

2038 - Mexico

2042 - Australia

2046 - Russia/Turkey & Greece/Netherlands & Belgium/Denmark & Sweden

2050 - Egypt

2054 - Canada

2058 - Iran/Saudi Arabia

Why should the USA get a world cup every 20 years?

I totally agree with you for once, Robert. Why?

Do you have good football teams in your country like Bayern Munich in Germany, Liverpool in Englad, Real Madrid and FC Barcelona in Spain?? NO! So... I repeat: Why should the USA get a WC every 20 years?

2014- Chile/ Brazil/ Argentina

2018- England

2022- Other part of the world

2026- Chile/ Brazil/ Argentina

2030- Spain

2034- Other part of the world

2038- Chile/ Brazil/ Argentina

2042- Italy

2046- Other part of the world

Why should the USA get a world cup every 20 years?

I didn't say every 20 years.  Like was it there before 1994?   :rolleyes:  

And why should it go back to Europe every 3 Cups?  The World is so much bigger than it was 20-25 years ago.  

Funny, they haven't played the Women's FIFA (notice that is says) WORLD Cup in Europe the last 2 times.  

Also, see this link: 50 Years Ago...

And back to your original question: why shouldn't it?  The Winter Games which the Europeans have thought they own, return to the US/North America every 20 years: 1960, 1980, 2002 (Canada, 1988 and 2010).  So why do you think that the WC is a European purview?

i wish the location of the host wasn't important, i wish that one day the winning host for any sporting event is the one that has the best bid.

I tend to agree with the European's here, if CONCACAF is to host in the next little while it should not be the USA, and should not be Mexico, i think Canada is a logical choice, but it would also be good if it could be something Canada and the USA share, you know as a sign of friendship

And why should it go back to Europe every 3 Cups?  The World is so much bigger than it was 20-25 years ago.  

Funny, they haven't played the Women's FIFA (notice that is says) WORLD Cup in Europe the last 2 times.  

The football world isn't that much bigger than it was 20-25 years ago in terms of the countries who are enthusiastic about the sport. There are probably 20 countries in Europe whose passion for football is greater than the USA's. That is why Europe should get every third world cup.

And the same goes for South America. They should have every third world cup as well. I stand by my belief that, if there is a set rotation policy it should be:

1. Europe

2. South America

3. Other

Women's football, however is a very different beast. The USA have one of the best teams as do China. European teams and European support, is, by comparison, tiny so it is perfectly reasonable that there haven't been many tournaments here.

The football world isn't that much bigger than it was 20-25 years ago in terms of the countries who are enthusiastic about the sport. There are probably 20 countries in Europe whose passion for football is greater than the USA's. That is why Europe should get every third world cup.

And the same goes for South America. They should have every third world cup as well. I stand by my belief that, if there is a set rotation policy it should be:

1. Europe

2. South America

3. Other

Women's football, however is a very different beast. The USA have one of the best teams as do China. European teams and European support, is, by comparison, tiny so it is perfectly reasonable that there haven't been many tournaments here.

Well, they've also opened up the number of slots from as few as 24 teams (the last time being the US tournament), to the present, larger 32 teams in France in 1998 -- thereby allowing more of the non-European countries a greater chance to participate in the WC.  

While I admit passion is part of it, but I think marketing AND ability to stage the damn thing on a financially sound, safe and sensible basis accounts for the other considerations as well.

Here's a link to a story which details the unsurpassed attendance figures at the 1994 World Cup:

Fantastic attendance figures at 1994 World Cup

I will even quote the definitive paragraph:

"In terms of attendance, the event was a rousing success. The average attendance of nearly 69,000 shattered a record that had stood since 1950. The total attendance for the final tournament of nearly 3.6 million remains the greatest in World Cup history, despite the expansion of the competition to 32 teams in 1998. The overall attendance record will not be broken until at least 2010, as the maximum possible attendance for the 2006 World Cup is less than 3.5 million.    The 1950 Football World Cup is the only one which never had a single final match. ...      The 1998 Football World Cup was held in France. ...     The 2010 Football World Cup will take place in South Africa. ...      The final stages of 2006 Football World Cup are scheduled to take place in Germany between 9 June and 9 July. ..."

So there is no passion there?  And the home team didn't even reach the semi-finals.  What if it did?

i wish the location of the host wasn't important, i wish that one day the winning host for any sporting event is the one that has the best bid.

I tend to agree with the European's here, if CONCACAF is to host in the next little while it should not be the USA, and should not be Mexico, i think Canada is a logical choice, but it would also be good if it could be something Canada and the USA share, you know as a sign of friendship

Didn't you also just state that CONCACAF should be in line for one of the next prospective hosts?  

If it were up to me and plan the next WC North American hosting chores, I would allow Montreal, Torinto and Vancouver -- being Canada's big 3 urban markets with over 1,000,000 residents -- to host in the qualifying rounds; and of course, the rest in the States.

Didn't you also just state that CONCACAF should be in line for one of the next prospective hosts?

Only three countries in line??? :D

In Europe there are more than 25 countries, if you don't know that I tell you that in the world there more countries that the USA!!! :sleepy:  :glare:

In Europe there are more football passion!!! Apart from the WC we have the Eurocup each four years, do you have something like that in the CONFACAFA (I don´t know if it's correct)??

And don't talk about Southamerica: there are also a lot of countries like Colombia or Venezuela that have more football passion than the USA, the problem is that they haven't got the money :verysad:

Only three countries in line??? :D

In Europe there are more than 25 countries, if you don't know that I tell you that in the world there more countries that the USA!!! :sleepy:  :glare:

In Europe there are more football passion!!! Apart from the WC we have the Eurocup each four years, do you have something like that in the CONFACAFA (I don´t know if it's correct)??

And don't talk about Southamerica: there are also a lot of countries like Colombia or Venezuela that have more football passion than the USA, the problem is that they haven't got the money :verysad:

Each cofederation has its own cup: Eurocup, Copamérica, Gold Cup of Concacaf, Asian Cup, African Cup of Nations and the Oceania Cup... but you can't compare the Eurocup and the Copamérica with the Gold Cup...

Europe can host the WC in: Portugal, Spain, France, Ireland/Scotland, England, Sweden, Denmark, Holland/Belgium, Italy, Switzerland/Austria, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, CzechRepublic, ex-Yugoslavia, Greece, Turkey, Russia...

South america can host the WC in: Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Colombia/Venezuela.

Northamerica... Mexico and  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: well, I suppose US.

I know US someday will host again... but first are other more important countries to host... US will host again after Brazil, England, Spain, Argentina and Uruguay host again.

And about money... FIFA will be rich if they made the WC in USA, Germany, Southafrica or Tuvalu...

Each cofederation has its own cup: Eurocup, Copamérica, Gold Cup of Concacaf, Asian Cup, African Cup of Nations and the Oceania Cup... but you can't compare the Eurocup and the Copamérica with the Gold Cup...

Europe can host the WC in: Portugal, Spain, France, Ireland/Scotland, England, Sweden, Denmark, Holland/Belgium, Italy, Switzerland/Austria, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, CzechRepublic, ex-Yugoslavia, Greece, Turkey, Russia...

South america can host the WC in: Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Colombia/Venezuela.

Northamerica... Mexico and  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: well, I suppose US.

I know US someday will host again... but first are other more important countries to host... US will host again after Brazil, England, Spain, Argentina and Uruguay host again.

And about money... FIFA will be rich if they made the WC in USA, Germany, Southafrica or Tuvalu...

R u kidding, Kratk?  :rolleyes:  No wonder Chile can't even mount a credible Winter Games bid.  Ireland?  Denmark? Czech Republic & Slovakia?  I guess, yeah, if people there didn't eat or buy medicines or go to the hospital for 15 years, they could stage the most lavish World Cups ever.

Columbia?  Uhmmm...they couldn't even handle it for 1986 when it was their turn and there were only 24 nations; what more now with 32 teams?  

Don't be ridiculous.  Hosting a 21st century-World Cup is even more cost-intensive and impractical than it is for a Summer Olympics.  As rich and advanced as Korea and Japan are, FIFA saw it fit that 2 rich nations should share the hosting burdens 3 years ago -- what more the tiny nations that you mention?  You can bet South Africa will do another Athens and go into debt as it prepares to host in 2010.  People here are good at throwing out the names of nations (whom FIFA would not even consider in a heartbeat) but they don't realize what it really and actually takes to host an event of this magnitude.  :rolleyes:

Archived