FIFA's 2010 Men's World Cup

Ok I just got some interesting news. The FIFA evaluation report that is gonna be released tonight has been leaked to the media according to www.supersoccer.co.za and it ranks SA as excellent, Egypt as very good and Morocco as good(i.e. 3rd place) Libya and Tunisia are non-starters. Sounds promising for SA!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SA has been frontrunner (with Germany admittedly) before - I can't discount the possibility of Morocco winning, or a big upset with Egypt getting the Cup.  I wont be surprised if SA gets it, but I also wont be surprised if they dont...

This is one of the more interesting elections...

Not really - the news section hassome info at times, but there is no 'bidding profiles' area that I have found.  Even some of the official sites (ahem, Libya and Tunisia) have crap info on them.

I dunno why Egypt is the only country to post the bid book on line.  I'd love to see the South African and Morocco ones.

I believe that South Africa will host WC2010, mainly due to its economic potential.

Morocco or Egypt, though, seem more attractive to Europeans, due to the short distance and lower air fares. In these countries the potential to attract tourists is higher. Besides that, Egypt has got some experience when they organized U-17 WC in 1997.

By the way, it is ONE WEEK before the decision is handed down on which African nation will have the honor of hosting the 2010 World Cup.  :love:

Why are people constantly in denial about who will host the best soccer world cup and which country has the best infrastructure. Firstly when people talk about spirit and culture it is clear from my travels and studies while in Africa that South Africa by far has the greatest sense of sport culture and is by far the superior country. Any other bid contries should not even mention infrastructure as they cannot compare to South Africa. I have personally been to all five countries as an American Journalist and South Africa is an amazing country with amazing people. Morrocco promised in 2000 that they were constructing three new stadiums. I arrived in Rabat and made time to travel to the three supposed stadiums under construction and there was absolutely nothing. how can we trust this country who if you read their reasons for why they should host the 2010 soccer world cup do not have any strong advantage. Come on be serious and be real. The only upper hand they invented is to say that they are most central and are quicker to travel to. This is the 21st century a a team will fly to South Africa and train at the best training facilities in Africa as rated by Fifa. Travel is quick. I travelled to each of the bidding countries and the flights are lovely especially Johannesburg International Airport which made flying to South africa even better. Let not even talk about telecommunications . Morroco have boasted abou nothing and the harsh truth was revealed by FIFA's inspection report. Egypt on the other hand also has weak reasons for why they should host the event. But i believe they are much better prepared and suited to host a world cup. If you want to compare countries don't even mention problems in South Africa. I was there for 8 days and the people and country is amazing. I spoke to the security officials who commented that crime is overated in SOuth Africa. He did not say it was not bad but that people have false perceptions about the crime. The 2010 world cup must come to south africa, i love egypt but the best country must host the event and that is SOuth africa. No more fooling ourselves we know who the best country is. SA competed against Germany and was rated better than England. We must realize that it is not how much money you spend that determines which bid is the best. Investing huge amounts of money into stadia only means you have none and looking at the stadia presented by the other countries they do not look good enough. Visit the sa bid site and 7 of he 13 stadiums are already built and look exactly like those in the picture but only need a few more seats and modifications. Egypt have no stadia ready and morroco only have three. It's time we realise SOUTH AFRICA 2010 is almost a reality and if any other country is chosen then FIFA would not have done its job to select the best country. As an objective critic i believe that come 15 may the result should not be suprising that South Africa has won. Morroco and Egypt you have done well to market your bids and to influence people but the foundation of your bids is shaky and unstable if any. I commend you for the great competition for South Africa. If you have enough money visit SOuth Africa and you will see for yourself. Welldone South Africa on your excellent bid and on you TEN YEARS OF DEMOCRACY!!

Welcome to the forums, jlornton.

To continue the topic about the FIFA 2010 World Cup decision, it is now reported that the Egyptians has lost Ghali in their bid team because of political reasons:

Ghali Quits Egypt's 2010 Team

I do nor foresee that Egypt will suffer much from the withdrawal of Ghali. A comment i would like to make is that Egypt seems to be in the middle of the two favourites SA and Morroco. They are neither here nor there. Some have even said that they will win the bid which is highly unlikely. I believe that FIFA members will vote for South Africa to host the world cup whether it is by one of ten votes. They will come to the realization that SA does have the best bid no matter what. Fifa members who vote not according to criteria and rather according to gut or bias shouls not be classified as true members. It was very silly of Sepp Blatter to say that it doesn't matter which country hosts 2010 as long as the world cup is hosted is Africa. Come on he knows and i know that it utter and complete rubbish. If we do something we should do it right and the best place to showcase Africa would be South Africa. Let us get one thing striaght. After my studies and travel nobody should even argue against the fact that South Africa is the best bid candidate and has the best bid. It does not mean they will automatically win the right to host 2010 but nobody should then say the Morocco, Egypt and that other silly place have the best bid. Rather show support and say " Morocco is going to win/Egypt will host the cup" but do not dare say they have the best bid unless you have travelled to southa africa.

Thats my say for the day!!

While you are entitled to your opinions, do not assume even for a minute that you are the only person on these boards who has been to Africa.

My fiance and I between us have been to all bidding countries apart from Libya - and while I agree South Africa is the best equipped country for the World Cup, I can say from a first person perspective, Egypt and Morocco could also host the WC.  Egypt's tourism infrastructure is far advanced to South Africa's.  Hotel capacity, and the new airport link to central Cairo will make them a formidable challenger.  Morocco is difficult to get around in a car, but the trains are great.  Hotel wise, Morocco is well placed.  The planned stadiums are an issue in Morocco - but I guess their financial state will dictate whether or not they are a viable project without a WC on the horizon.

I dont think they could do a better job than SA - but they could stage a great WC.  

As for FIFA members not voting for SA - there are many who have valid reasons to back the Northern African nations.  Thir votes are no more or less valid then anyone elses.

I've noticed a lot of web stories on Sth Africa and Morocco - but apart from some line up changes Egypt seems to be very low key...

I'm hoping for Egypt, expecting SA and wont be surprised by Morocco.

If it's Libya or Tunisia I will fall off my chair in shock.

2 more BBC sports articles. One talks about Morocco and the other talks about the election process of the 24 votes up for grabs to decide the host nation of the 2010 World Cup:

Morocco: Fourth Time Lucky?

Saturday's Election Procedure

The time is almost upon us now!!! This is now the eve of the 2010 World Cup host nation decision! As such, more BBC articles about this upcoming decision in Zurich:

Egypt: A Matter Of Pride

Bidders In Final Push

Who Will Host The 2010 World Cup? (Your Comments Here)

Africa Set To Profit As World Cup Hosts

TUNISIA have just pulled out

I can't see LIBYA getting it

I would like to see MOROCCO or SOUTH AFRICA get it. Both World Cups would be good. Some of Morocco's proposed new stadiums look fantastic!

Again, I will have South Africa as the projected winner of this one. You can shoot me if Morocco/Egypt/Libya wins it.

Archived