FIFA's 2010 Men's World Cup

As most of you know already, the FIFA 2010 Men's World Cup will be held in Africa. The bigger question is this: which nation will have the honor of hosting it? The contending nations are as follows:

Morocco

South Africa

Egypt

Libya/Tunisia joint bid

For what the BBC sports article has to say about these nations and their aspirations, come see it for yourselves below:

Africa's 2010 Contenders

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting post.  It is definately a tough competition. I think that S. Africa will win, but I would like very much to see Morocco.  IMO both nations deserve it.

Just a small correction: Libya and Tunisia were going to do a joint bid but they gave up.  So they are independent candidates now.

I would also like to see Morocco getting the chance to host the World Cup!

I beleive that they too have placed a bid in the past, however they have not come as successful as South Africa has.

A few months ago someone (can't exactly recall who it was) posted future stadiums to be built in Morocco and they look spectacular. Politically Morcco would be sutible as it one of the most Western developed nations in Africa that would possibly by a favoured Europeans due to the fact its a strait away from Spain at one geographic point, so travelling there for viewing as well as for the European media would be most convenient.

It won't be long, as the decision is held next month. If I don't know what day it will be, but I think it will be close to the May 18th. day of the IOC's shortlisting of the 2012 Olympic applicant cities.

It won't be long, as the decision is held next month. If I don't know what day it will be, but I think it will be close to the May 18th. day of the IOC's shortlisting of the 2012 Olympic applicant cities.

To be more precise 15th of May.

To be more precise 15th of May.

Man, just 3 days apart. Looks like the middle of May will be interesting indeed.

I also wouldn't discount Egypt.  It seems the current preferences seem to flow as such -

1. Sth Africa - I dont think they are "owed" anything by FIFA.  If all were present at the final vote for 2006 SA would have drawn with Germany and gone to a recount that may have given the cup to Germany anyhow.  There were big questions (and still are) of SA's ability to finance the event.  Compared to other bidding countries, their soccer heritage looks kind of... crap.

2. Morocco - the majority of the planned stadiums are now under construction.  The rail infrastructure is picking up, and accomodation will not be an issue.  They may upset.

3. Egypt - some of my contacts have been buzzing that Egypt is picking up preference votes.  However they may have to have SA or Morocco exiting very early on to capitalise on those preferences.  Security is a huge issue.  Also actually having their bid book online helps me make a more balanced judgment - Egypt 2010 look slike a realistic prospect.

4. Libya - there was talk of them being a threat due to the huge budget being already secured (oil money I guess) and the Libyan's continuing re-integration with the world.  It would be a nice gesture - but then again SA has came "out of the dark" recently as well.

5. Tunisia - there goose was cooked when the Libya/Tunisia plan went awry.  There are big questions about financing and security.

I'm going to go with Morocco, followed by SA and Egypt.  The furore that erupted around Germany's win for 2006 - while not from the SA soccer federation directly - may make FIFA want to look elsewhere.  However SA will probably get it regardless...

I don't think there really is any doubt that the Cup will be going to South Africa. They are the best choice in terms of money and security. They were also robbed for the 2006 Cup so i think its fitting that they host.

I don´t think, that SA was "robbed" for the WC 2006. Germany had a fantastic bid, that was why we won.

For 2010, it seems to be very clear, that SA is going to win.

By the way, the German chancelor has said, that Germany will support SA for 2010.

Mmm, this is turning out to be very interesting. Naturally I would like SA to win but I have this sneaky feeling that Morocco will. Unlike the IOC it is much easier to predict how FIFA will vote. My prediction is(for the Final round):

The 4 African votes: They should be split up and in the final round I think 2 for SA and 2 for Morocco.

1 Oceania vote: South Africa.

4 Asian votes: Difficult to say, at least 2 will go for Morocco, I think the other 2 will also.

3 South America votes: South Africa

3 Concacaf votes: South Africa:

8 European votes: Difficult, but I'd say 6 for Morroco and 2 for SA.

Sepp Blatter: Not sure if he'll vote, if he does then SA.

That means SA 10 Morocco 12.

BTW thatsnotmypuppy for someone with your "connections" I would expect you to know that in the case of a draw the FIFA president has the casting vote and that Oceania gave Charles Dempsey a mandate to vote for SA. If he did it would have been 12 all and Sepp Blatter would have voted for SA in the tie-breaker. And it's odd that according to your well-connected self there was serious doubts about SA even though the FIFA tech report gave us an A, the same as Germany and one higher than England, who got a B. But of course you knew that being so well connected and all. And just as a last thought what do you know abot our soccer heritage?

BTW thatsnotmypuppy for someone with your "connections" I would expect you to know that in the case of a draw the FIFA president has the casting vote and that Oceania gave Charles Dempsey a mandate to vote for SA. If he did it would have been 12 all and Sepp Blatter would have voted for SA in the tie-breaker. And it's odd that according to your well-connected self there was serious doubts about SA even though the FIFA tech report gave us an A, the same as Germany and one higher than England, who got a B. But of course you knew that being so well connected and all. And just as a last thought what do you know abot our soccer heritage?

I was under the impression that Sepp  would cast a vote if a revote remains at a deadlock - I am sure I read that.  As for the "connections" - they are media outlets - not the FIFA executive board!!!

I have been told by other South Africans that while soccer is a growing sport popularity wise, it is far from the level of cricket or rugby.   There were concerns then as there are now that the audience just isn't there to fill the proposed stadiums, and financial expectations sponsorship wise may be unrealistic.

To be fair, this point about finances has been made about every 2010 bid.

If I am way off the mark, I'm not alone!

No Sepp gets to vote all the way through (if he wants to) and if there is a tie he gets to decide who wins.

With regards to finances, I guess it is fair to have one's doubts about that. I'm not too worried. The bid has been VERY well sponsored - surprisingly maybe but SA does have big companies and if we do win then international sponsors will come on board.And we may not be the richest country in the world, but government can undertake big projects. For full details regarding finance see the bid website. The big thing is though that financially SA is the best bet - we need to undertake the least amount of infrastructure projects and stadiums of all the other bidders and our economy dwarfs the other bidders.

And finally our soccer heritage, the thing is in SA football is still a 'black' sport, rugby and cricket being 'white' sports. We managed to fill up stadiums for the CWC(ok not as big capacity but still I think it shows that if we have a big event we can go out in full force and support) We did very well attendance-wise for the 96 African Cup and Ellis Park was packed (65 000) for a club game when the FIFA inspection team was here. Our league is the biggest in Africa (also pulling the biggest crowds) and domestic football has got the same amount of money behind it than rugby and more than cricket. Point is just - ask a white/indian/coloured person and they'll tell you rugby is biggest, ask a black person and he'll say football. Officially football is biggest though.

But all in all I still think Morocco will win. :down:

Ok something very very odd just happened. I went to Morocco's website www.morocco2010.com and there is this message "Congratulations Egypt" and this domain for sale. Mmm, omen of things to come?

The official m2010 website is www.morocco-2010.org

I think that this was an Egyptian joke  :D

No Sepp gets to vote all the way through (if he wants to) and if there is a tie he gets to decide who wins.

With regards to finances, I guess it is fair to have one's doubts about that. I'm not too worried. The bid has been VERY well sponsored - surprisingly maybe but SA does have big companies and if we do win then international sponsors will come on board.And we may not be the richest country in the world, but government can undertake big projects. For full details regarding finance see the bid website. The big thing is though that financially SA is the best bet - we need to undertake the least amount of infrastructure projects and stadiums of all the other bidders and our economy dwarfs the other bidders.

And finally our soccer heritage, the thing is in SA football is still a 'black' sport, rugby and cricket being 'white' sports. We managed to fill up stadiums for the CWC(ok not as big capacity but still I think it shows that if we have a big event we can go out in full force and support) We did very well attendance-wise for the 96 African Cup and Ellis Park was packed (65 000) for a club game when the FIFA inspection team was here. Our league is the biggest in Africa (also pulling the biggest crowds) and domestic football has got the same amount of money behind it than rugby and more than cricket. Point is just - ask a white/indian/coloured person and they'll tell you rugby is biggest, ask a black person and he'll say football. Officially football is biggest though.

But all in all I still think Morocco will win. :down:

Thanks for clarifying that - as for the soccer heritage - I didnt want to word it as a'black' sport - but as you haven't any problems with it, that was how I was diplomatically trying to explain it!!

I wouldn't be surprised if SA gets it - maybe FIFA would feel more comfortable giving the Games to a more modernised country, then a percieved riskier one as the North African countries can be at times.

I think Morocco has the momentum - but FIFA will probably go for SA.

Morocco is the best venue to hold a successful 2010 FIFA World Cup and would be an excellent platform to promote global peace and harmony, said Saad Kettani, head of the country`s bid committee, yesterday.

"Morocco is a country of hospitality and tolerance, where people of all races, colors and religions have lived together in harmony for centuries," Kettani said.

"This land of peace and security will bring together all the people of the world around the universal values of football," said Kettani, who is in Seoul to seek South Korea`s help for the North African country`s bid.

In a meeting with reporters, he also cited Morocco`s infrastructure advantage.

Morocco has established itself as a telecommunications industry leader in Africa and boasts world-class accommodations as one of the leading tourism destinations in Africa, he noted.

Kettani, an influential Moroccan businessman, said Morocco is aiming to attract 10 million visitors in 2010 under a tourism development program named "Vision 2010."

Morocco, which was the first African country to have participated in the World Cup, currently has three stadiums ready to host the event and is building three new ones with construction work on three more to begin later this year.

"This (Morocco) is a land where football is more than a pastime, but rather a way of life," Kettani said.

Kettani met with Chung Mong-joon, president of the Korea Football Association, Tuesday to ask for South Korea`s support for Morocco`s bid attempt.

The host country for the 2010 World Cup will be decided in a vote when FIFA executive committee members meet in Zurich, Switzerland, on May 15.

Five African countries - Morocco, South Africa, Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya - are vying for the right to stage the event, which is allotted to the continent under FIFA`s rules of continental rotation.

"I`m convinced that Morocco will be able to offer FIFA and the entire football family one of the best World Cups ever."

a_106909_106834_101522_160X220_L.gif

Moroccan Head of 2010 world cup host committee visited Korea.

Archived