Who Will Have The Momentum Going Into The Vote?

Soaring

"General" seems to be the hot place...

If Obama shows up, and Michelle puts together a very "heart-felt" presentation (along with tag team Obama/Oprah lobbying), do you think Chicago will have the momentum going into the vote?

Will Rio win the day with the best presentation again?

Can Madrid or Tokyo pull a rabbit out of their hat?

Without a crystal ball I can't be sure, but I can say Rio have the momentum and based on its previous presentations can boost it in Copenhagen.

Based only on momentum and presentations, Rio is the frontrunner.

Who knows Soaring. I suspect if Obama turns up the percieved momentum will be with Chicago. But, as has been mentioned before, many thought Chirac had a better tactic than Blair by speaking directly to the IOC whilst Blair was only there a few days before. The perception can often differ from the reality.

As for the presentations, one thing I'm very interested in from a London supporter's perspective is how many of the presentations will follow London's template. Would it be too obvious an approach?

Rio, for their part, need to be careful when using the 'new frontier' selling point. Going back to 2005 again, the main difference between the winning presentation and the losing one was the tone and emphasis of the message. Will Rio, like Paris, conclude their presentation with "South America wants the games, South America NEEDS the Games" or will they talk about what South America can do for the Olympic movement. The latter is a winning tactic, the former whilst still playing the universality card has its emphasis in the wrong place and will not win over the IOC.

Madrid and Tokyo's best chances, I suspect, lay behind closed doors. That's not to say anything dodgy is going on, just that if they make the right connections before the vote, they may have a chance of upsetting the Obama/new frontier front-runners.

Another interesting point actually? Do we expect, just because they are the supposed front-runners, Rio's and Chicago's presentations to really be a level above the other two?

^^^ No, I expect all of the presentations to be of an excellent quality, but like you said, "What will be their main talking points?"

I have to say that I was quite impressed with Obama's speech at the White House last week regarding Chicago's bid, but I am not so sure he should speak before the IOC.

Do you think Brazil's president will speak during their presentation?

I have no doubt that the presentation from Rio will sell the new frontier aspect with the right tone and wording as they have done before. That has been their trend so far. Lula may use the "need" speech, but I think he would save it for individual talks with IOC members from developing countries. As I said before, Lula is a great asset but it is important to know how to use him. But it is undeniable that he can get away with statements that would be totally inappropriate for others.

Chicago too must be careful with the tone of their speech. Americans are often seen by others as arrogant, like the French. So, a speech bringing up a sense of entitlement by them (especially mentioning their contribution to the movement and their athletic excellence) might be considered harmful to their chances.

I bet that the Rio presentation will be very good. For it not to be the best, the other candidates will have to really make a lot of progress. Every time presentations were held, Rio outperformed its competitors. The evaluation report also indicates that Rio's presentations were superior in that phase of the process. So, there is something going really well for the Rio Committee on this area.

And I guess the momentum now is very difficult to assess, since it is with the bid who is doing the best one-to-one lobbying with the IOC memebers, and not with the ones showing a bunch of things in the news.

I suspect the final message will be similar to this:

http://www.chicago2016.org//our-city/news/...All-Faiths.aspx

As a city of many cultures, Chicago is also a city of many religions, marked by a history of tolerance and inclusion. Chicago 2016’s Religious Leadership Advisory Council is working with the bid committee to ensure all faiths have access to houses of worship during the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, should Chicago be chosen as the 2016 Host City.

“If we were to win the privilege of hosting the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, athletes and visitors who travel here from around the globe will feel at home,” said Patrick G. Ryan, chairman and CEO of Chicago 2016. “We have a rich diversity of faiths, respect for the people who practice them and houses of worship that represent the world’s great religions.”

Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley often refers to Chicago as “a city of immigrants,” a city built by immigrants and one that continues to attract new residents from around the world. Citizens with roots in more than 150 countries call Chicago home today, and they speak 130 languages.

“I believe that if Chicago were given the privilege of hosting the Games in 2016, athletes from the Muslim world and others would feel like they were competing on their home turf, given the diversity of this city, and would be welcomed by our many wonderful houses of worship,” said Dr. Zaher Sahloul, chairman of The Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago, an organization representing more than 400,000 American Muslims and more than 120 mosques in Chicago.

I'm surprised it's taken until now to say this, though.

CHItown '16

The only thing I'm really expecting is that Madrid will have worked hard enough to leave the whole "missing the point" note they got on the evaluation comitee report behind them.

As for the momentum, who knows? Maybe Obama not showing won't have the demolishing effect on Chicago's bid people tend to believe it'll have.

As for Rio's presentation, I believe we have good enough planners to not over emphasize the new frontier aspect of the bid. As Rob said, the whole focus of the presentation should be on how bringing the summer games to SA for the first time would benefit the Olympic Movement, opening doors to other frontier city bids in the future. Saying we need it, we deserve it and so forth sounds tremenduously self-centered and being so isn't generally favored by anyone.

By the way, since I'm kind of a newbie in this olympic bid thing, I have to ask, how is the election conducted? Will they announce the results after each round, they'll wait for the final results to release the whole thing, will the speeches and presentations be made available for the general audience and etc? I know that on Oct 2 there will be jumbo screens on Copacabana beach broadcasting the session, at least it said so on the newspaper today, but I don't know any other details

Each city will have 45 minutes to present followed by a Q&A.

Then there will be a vote. The votes are anonymous but it's not done behind closed doors; I watched most of the 2012 vote on TV, and I'm sure there will be online feeds. For each round where there is no majority winner the city with the least votes will be knocked out.

You know exactly who'll be be competing in each round, and an announcement is made, if no city has an outright majority in a particular round, as to which city won't compete in the next round.

There's normally 15 minutes or so between each round as votes are tallied etc.

When a round is reached (it could be the first, it could be the third) where a city has more than half the IOC's votes, an announcement is made that a winner has been chosen, though the winner isn't announced at that stage. The room is set up ready for the announcement of the winner, which usually takes place an hour after the vote has finished.

Thanks, Rob!

It's amazing how millions of dollars, extensive planning, costant lobbying and dreadful periods of uncertainty can be resumed in a 5 hour voting. I hope things stay the same as you described, Rob. It seemed pretty straighforward to me.

You've hit the nail on the head. The 2012 vote was honestly the most tense thing I'd watched on TV for ages. Posting on here for two years before the vote, following every nuance of London's bid and it comes down to a 45 minute presentation, a vote in one afternoon and an incredibly nailbiting announcement.

That might sound silly, sentimental or overexaggerated to some, but wait till your home city is on the verge and your heart will be beating hard, trust me. Even my Dad jumped up and cheered when London won and he hadn't been following London's progress especially.

Chicago too must be careful with the tone of their speech. Americans are often seen by others as arrogant, like the French. So, a speech bringing up a sense of entitlement by them (especially mentioning their contribution to the movement and their athletic excellence) might be considered harmful to their chances.

The USOC is not going to make that kind of blunder, & it would be pretty naive for anyone here to think otherwise. Not even New York 2012 did that. Those arguments are just used here on these forums by some of the overzealous. The USOC & the Chicago 2016 Bid delegation, along with Obama (as addressed in his letter to the IOC last week) know that this is an opportunity for helping improve international relations with the rest of the world after 8 years of Bush, & those such comments have no room in such an endeavor. Chicago is no more going to play that card than by saying Rio is going to play the "it's time to finally give South America the Games, & we 'deserve' & are 'owed' the 'right' to do so" card.

You've hit the nail on the head. The 2012 vote was honestly the most tense thing I'd watched on TV for ages. Posting on here for two years before the vote, following every nuance of London's bid and it comes down to a 45 minute presentation, a vote in one afternoon and an incredibly nailbiting announcement.

That might sound silly, sentimental or overexaggerated to some, but wait till your home city is on the verge and your heart will be beating hard, trust me. Even my Dad jumped up and cheered when London won and he hadn't been following London's progress especially.

how you feel it Rob? Like England score a goal or like England win the world cup?

Don't be sad, Rob. England in the finals is bound to happen again sometime. Just have a little patience and you'll see. In the mean time, you can always boast that your contry is in the McDonald's special world cup menu as "McInglaterra", a savory filet-o-fish style sandwhich with a delicate lemon flavored sauce (at least it was something like that in 2006 ^^)! I mean, not everybody can say that, you know? XD

Somewhere inbetween I think. :D

Maybe like England reaching a final, though I don't really know as that's never happened in my lifetime :(:P

I was about to make a joke about it when I saw your post. Like "You wouldn't know because you've never seen England win a WC."

But don't be sad. Argentina, much more celebrated, only made to the top 4 on 4 occasions. The WC is dominated by 3 countries: Brazil, Germany and Italy.

Anyway, if those Chicago groups keep making noise, the Americans might lose some momentum.

The USOC is not going to make that kind of blunder, & it would be pretty naive for anyone here to think otherwise. Not even New York 2012 did that. Those arguments are just used here on these forums by some of the overzealous. The USOC & the Chicago 2016 Bid delegation, along with Obama (as addressed in his letter to the IOC last week) know that this is an opportunity for helping improve international relations with the rest of the world after 8 years of Bush, & those such comments have no room in such an endeavor. Chicago is no more going to play that card than by saying Rio is going to play the "it's time to finally give South America the Games, & we 'deserve' & are 'owed' the 'right' to do so" card.

I expect an outstanding presentation from all four cities.

Obama ran one of the most brilliant presidential campaigns in history. His team knows what to emphasize and what needs to be downplayed. Because the White House has taken such an active interest in the bid, I think it is safe to say that Chicago's presentation will pack quite a punch.

There has been so much talk about how Rio is the only bid that offers an alternative to the "rich" "high-society" candidates. I suspect you will see some of Chicago's inner-city in the presentation. Yes, there are lush parks, a spectacular lake and skyscrapers, but Chicago is a very diverse city. It is home to a great many people who have worked and are still working hard to rise from difficult circumstances. I think this will be represented in some way.

But will the IOC members be led to believe that the opinion of these No-Games groups is the opinion of the majority of the chicago people? I don't recall the exact figures, but Chicago support on the evalution report wasn't something one would consider small. It was near 70% locally, wasn't it?

Each city will have 45 minutes to present followed by a Q&A.

Then there will be a vote. The votes are anonymous but it's not done behind closed doors; I watched most of the 2012 vote on TV, and I'm sure there will be online feeds. For each round where there is no majority winner the city with the least votes will be knocked out.

You know exactly who'll be be competing in each round, and an announcement is made, if no city has an outright majority in a particular round, as to which city won't compete in the next round.

There's normally 15 minutes or so between each round as votes are tallied etc.

When a round is reached (it could be the first, it could be the third) where a city has more than half the IOC's votes, an announcement is made that a winner has been chosen, though the winner isn't announced at that stage. The room is set up ready for the announcement of the winner, which usually takes place an hour after the vote has finished.

They should have the vote at the Vatican. With smoke from a chimney! and all and all

Chicago is on the rise. It has the momentum.

I think the "nogames chicago" and "chicagoans for rio" will take some votes. chicago can win, but if they lose, these groups can be one of the reasons.

Not really. I think they came along a little late and are really just a fringe group. It would'e even been stranger if THERE was no opposition at ALL to the Chicago bid. At least it shows that the democractic process is present in Chicago's bid.

And the IOC's been around long enough to know that there'll always be a small vocal group in opposition. As I said...been there, done that. Next.

Archived