Will The Momentum Be With Chicago On October 2nd?

Soaring

By "the" momentum, I assume you mean more momentum than any of the other candidates.

There's no question that Chicago is finishing strong. We are entering the homestretch and Chicago is closing fast. I don't think there's any question that Chicago is showing on an impressive finishing kick. However, even if Chicago has the most buzz, perhaps too many IOC members have already been won over by other cities.

I wouldn't underestimate Madrid. Although I would be shocked if they won, Spain and the Samaranchs have many friends in the IOC. I expect they will have more than a handful of votes in the first round.

The truth is that Rio's greatest strength is the "new frontier" card, but it has been played to the hilt already and it would appear that they may be running out of gas. If the "new frontier card" were off the table, I don't think the contest would be anywhere near as close as it is right now. Of course, the IOC may still choose to look the other way on the weaker aspects of Rio's bid such as transportation, crime, accommodation, no torch or ceremonies at the athletics stadium...

Frankly, if Rio were located anywhere other than South America or Africa, Tokyo would have a MUCH stronger shot. Their bid has many outstanding strengths. The only considerable weakness is low public support. Despite a strong evaluation, I still think Tokyo could be the first city out.

Personally, I think Chicago 2016 and the USOC are timing it just right. They are working extremely hard to demonstrate the heart and sincerity behind the bid. That is key. Yes, the business end of things is important, but the MOST important thing is showing that these Games really mean something to the United States. It matters to us that we have an opportunity to welcome to the world. We want to have the chance to showcase a new spirit of sensitivity and openness -- a spirit of warm acceptance and a celebration of diversity. That is why these Games matter to the U.S.A. That is why the bid is so much more than just a competition of egos.

It's going to be close.

If Obama shows up, and Michelle puts together a very "heart-felt" presentation (along with tag team Obama/Oprah lobbying), do you think Chicago will have the momentum going into the vote?

For real?

What Obama is doing is the best thing for Rio. A leader must show decision, timing, be the one to...LEAD. Sending his wife and Oprah and lobbysts he is hiding himself from a contest he seems to have not that real personal attachment. Even if he now makes the decision of going that may seem too late after Lula and King Juan Carlos.

For real?

What Obama is doing is the best thing for Rio. A leader must show decision, timing, be the one to...LEAD. Sending his wife and Oprah and lobbysts he is hiding himself from a contest he seems to have not that real personal attachment. Even if he now makes the decision of going that may seem too late after Lula and King Juan Carlos.

President Obama is LEADING the country first and the Olympic bid second. But if you want to twist it and see it as an advantage for Rio, suit yourself.

For real?

I'm having trouble following your argument. Obama's first responsibility is to lead the American people. He has demonstrated a clear commitment to do that by focusing on health care. Furthermore, he's at the G20 Summit trying to restart Middle East peace talks. Obama is not perfect, but you cannot fault him for a lack of leadership. It is precisely because he is such a committed leader that he is so busy.

I also do not see Obama as indecisive. He has been extremely vocal and unwavering in his support of Chicago 2016. All along he has said that if he can be there, he will. He is not changing his mind back and forth about Copenhagen. He has made a very firm decision: he has been quite insistent about the fact that he will not make plans until the last minute.

None of this will have a negative impact on either Obama or Chicago's bid.

I'm having trouble following your argument. Obama's first responsibility is to lead the American people. He has demonstrated a clear commitment to do that by focusing on health care. Furthermore, he's at the G20 Summit trying to restart Middle East peace talks. Obama is not perfect, but you cannot fault him for a lack of leadership. It is precisely because he is such a committed leader that he is so busy.

I also do not see Obama as indecisive. He has been extremely vocal and unwavering in his support of Chicago 2016. All along he has said that if he can be there, he will. He is not changing his mind back and forth about Copenhagen. He has made a very firm decision: he has been quite insistent about the fact that he will not make plans until the last minute.

None of this will have a negative impact on either Obama or Chicago's bid.

i agree with this statement. the president's very first job is to lead a nation and make the best decision for his constituents. such convoluted logic applied by the brazilian above is obviously a sign of cockiness for me. a president first and formost has to be a president. president obama had made his support known from day 1.

Archived