Why...?

Tutankamon

U know that they searched smething for apply rotation, a very good bid cant be bad in 4 years, and thefacts is that the problem was a bad understanding of comité and MAdrid and govern have changed a law last week for dedicate to dear comite of evaluation! so if we do that others have to do same or it is not fair cause we wanna games! and we do EVERYTHING

and dont Focus the TOPIC in that focus itin 2018 dont do demagogia!

This post is absolutely hilarious when you read it out loud with a spanish accent :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? Well, continent rotation isn't a rule in IOC, but is a thing they will think before vote in a city. I think a city can win, even in the same continent of last games, but this will happen only if they present a bid "highly superior" than the other cities. This isn't the case of 2016. The IOC Report pointed more problems in Madrid bid for 2016 than the 2012 report, were Madrid chances was higher.

I admit Madrid 2016 is very unlikely because of London 2012 but what I can't understand is why many people say that if Rio finally hosts the 2016 Games, 2020 will go to Chicago or somewhere else in the USA. Aren't Brazil and the US in the same continent? :huh: That would also broke the continental rotation unwritten rule...

That's a grey area. It depends whether you count North and South America as the same continent or not. There's no grey area with Britain and Spain, however.

I personally think a USA Olympics could follow a South American one, but the other way round is a lot more unlikely.

That's a grey area. It depends whether you count North and South America as the same continent or not. There's no grey area with Britain and Spain, however.

I personally think a USA Olympics could follow a South American one, but the other way round is a lot more unlikely.

It seems like America can choose when they want to be one or two continents.

It's like if we divided Europe in North Europe and Mediterranean Europe, for exemple. That would make GB and Spain be in different continents. I find it a bit stupid...

It's like if we divided Europe in North Europe and Mediterranean Europe, for exemple. That would make GB and Spain be in different continents. I find it a bit stupid...

Just like Europe, Africa and Asia, which are part of the same continental mass. Africa is separated from Eurasia by a man-made canal, just like the Panama canal which physically separates North and South Americas. Europe and Asia separation is purely arbitrary and exists only for historical reason.

By the way, despite the Americas typically being separated in 3 continents by geography books: North America (US, Canada and Mexico), Central America (Caribbean and the continental countries south of Mexico and north of Colombia) and South America. They may also be divided in 2 including Central America as part of North America (like most IF do) or by North America (US and Canada) and Latin America (Caribbean and continental countries from Mexico to the South Cone) like companies do.

I don't mind separating North and South America (in fact, they are separated) or even North, Central and South America. But once a division is made, we cannot change it according to our interests.

I mean, if Chicago is in North America and Rio in South America, they should never be considered as cities from the same continent anymore (would you say Lisbon and Bangkok are in the same continent?). However, I guess we've all been said there are only five continents on Earth (or six with Antarctica), so it leaves America as a single continent.

I don't mind separating North and South America (in fact, they are separated) or even North, Central and South America. But once a division is made, we cannot change it according to our interests.

I mean, if Chicago is in North America and Rio in South America, they should never be considered as cities from the same continent anymore (would you say Lisbon and Bangkok are in the same continent?). However, I guess we've all been said there are only five continents on Earth (or six with Antarctica), so it leaves America as a single continent.

It's general consensus among U.S. educated people that the Americas are actually 2 distinct continents - North America from Canada to Panama and South America from Colombia to the tip of Argentina and Chile. And that we count 7 distinct continents - but also note borderline cases like the "Indiana subcontinent," "large northern landmass of Greenland," and "Saudi peninsula." We also note "British Isles" but not as distinct from Europe.

CHItown '16

The two best bids from a technical point of view are Madrid and Tokyo, and that's it. That's technically speaking of course. Chicago and Rio have very good bids, but not as good. However the overall level is very good from all 4 cities. That's the message the report pulls through and that's what IOC members need to know. Full stop.

Enter lobbying. Now here is where 90% of the decision is made. If the US can pull Obama, it will throw Chicago up a lot, even though Obama alone won't win the games for Chicago. If Brazil plays the sentimental role properly, without over-victimising it they will do fine and they will keep their momentum. Madrid has two very big lobbying arms as well: one is Samaranch and the King and the other is the excellent performance of Spanish sports people lately, with the Eurobasket tournament of Poland being the most recent triumph (smashed Serbia in the final by over 20 points). If Madrid brings Pau Gasol and maybe Nadal (along with a paralympic sportsman or women) , it will definitely help since do not forget, many IOC members are former sportspeople and they do keep updated with what happens in the sports world. And, with Spain being on top in football, basketball, tennis (playing the Davis cup final for second year in a row in December) etc. they will tend to think good of Spanish sport, and hence of good games. On the other hand Tokyo has lobbying really, really complicated. I do not know who they will bring, but their message is not as good as that of the other 3 cities. Plus they've already hosted them.

So that's that. Will Obama pull enough European and Asian votes for Chicago? Will Lula and Rio's appeal be good enough to drag European interests for 2020? Will Madrid be able to convince a sizeable deal of Latin America, Europe and Asia to vote for it? How will Tokyo handle it's eventual lack of votes from America and Europe? We could say Chicago gets the vote of some European countries with future interests in the SOG plus some African, Rio gets part of Latin America, some from Europe and maybe Asia. Madrid would get African votes, a good chunk of Latin America and parts of Europe. But.....nobody can predict this.

People, really, there's no point discussing this any longer since all the cards are on the table. Only a last minute surprise such as Obama turning up can really do something but for now, the race is tight and lobbying is on its way. Continental rotations and technicalities are nicely forgotten once you get to talk to a global leader, a famous sportsman or a royal family member. IOC members will vote to whoever they want and they do not care if the report said this or that if they personally think it's their best choice. It's not the first time there cases of bribing have appeared regarding SOG voting, and there will be more no doubt about that.

So the only thing to do now is sit back, watch any last minute events, see who's taking who to the IOC meeting and wait for the voting to begin.

And, I want to make clear that regardless of my preferences, whoever takes the games, I will be happy for them since I believe that they will be organised beautifully by any of the 4 cities.

North America and South America are two separate continents on separate tectonic plates. Period. Nothing gray there. If there is a gray area anywhere, it is where in Russia is the Europe-Asia divide. The Urals and Caucasus by convention.

It is only the IOC and Olympic officiandos that seems to have fused them into one continent. And that is likely just an urban myth about the red ring on their logo representing "the Americas".

The winter games are different. Just that. Sochi is in that Russian Eurasian gray zone. But beyond that, there are are only 3 continents that are in line to host the Winter Olympics, so there are thus fewer choices.

The winter games are different. Just that. Sochi is in that Russian Eurasian gray zone. But beyond that, there are are only 3 continents that are in line to host the Winter Olympics, so there are thus fewer choices.

Would you also include Oceania? I think New Zealand could also host the Winter Olympics... That would be 4 continents...

We have discussed the hosting of the Winter Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere innumerable times. New Zealand and South America are severely disadvantaged because their winter season is completely opposite and out of synch for 96% of the athletes that compete in the Winter Games.

And for the Winter Olympics, it is the mountain ranges that play a big role...so far the IOC has only selected Alpine/Central Europe (11 times), Norway (2 times), North American Rockies/Coast (4 times), North American Appalachians (2 times), Japan (2 times) and Russia's Caucasus (1 to come) to host the Winter Games.

The two best bids from a technical point of view are Madrid and Tokyo, and that's it. That's technically speaking of course. Chicago and Rio have very good bids, but not as good. However the overall level is very good from all 4 cities. That's the message the report pulls through and that's what IOC members need to know. Full stop.

Enter lobbying. Now here is where 90% of the decision is made. If the US can pull Obama, it will throw Chicago up a lot, even though Obama alone won't win the games for Chicago. If Brazil plays the sentimental role properly, without over-victimising it they will do fine and they will keep their momentum. Madrid has two very big lobbying arms as well: one is Samaranch and the King and the other is the excellent performance of Spanish sports people lately, with the Eurobasket tournament of Poland being the most recent triumph (smashed Serbia in the final by over 20 points). If Madrid brings Pau Gasol and maybe Nadal (along with a paralympic sportsman or women) , it will definitely help since do not forget, many IOC members are former sportspeople and they do keep updated with what happens in the sports world. And, with Spain being on top in football, basketball, tennis (playing the Davis cup final for second year in a row in December) etc. they will tend to think good of Spanish sport, and hence of good games. On the other hand Tokyo has lobbying really, really complicated. I do not know who they will bring, but their message is not as good as that of the other 3 cities. Plus they've already hosted them.

So that's that. Will Obama pull enough European and Asian votes for Chicago? Will Lula and Rio's appeal be good enough to drag European interests for 2020? Will Madrid be able to convince a sizeable deal of Latin America, Europe and Asia to vote for it? How will Tokyo handle it's eventual lack of votes from America and Europe? We could say Chicago gets the vote of some European countries with future interests in the SOG plus some African, Rio gets part of Latin America, some from Europe and maybe Asia. Madrid would get African votes, a good chunk of Latin America and parts of Europe. But.....nobody can predict this.

People, really, there's no point discussing this any longer since all the cards are on the table. Only a last minute surprise such as Obama turning up can really do something but for now, the race is tight and lobbying is on its way. Continental rotations and technicalities are nicely forgotten once you get to talk to a global leader, a famous sportsman or a royal family member. IOC members will vote to whoever they want and they do not care if the report said this or that if they personally think it's their best choice. It's not the first time there cases of bribing have appeared regarding SOG voting, and there will be more no doubt about that.

So the only thing to do now is sit back, watch any last minute events, see who's taking who to the IOC meeting and wait for the voting to begin.

And, I want to make clear that regardless of my preferences, whoever takes the games, I will be happy for them since I believe that they will be organised beautifully by any of the 4 cities.

I think you underestimate Rio's ability to gather African votes. First, one of them is the head of the CAF (football) which basically means he is an Havelange's client. He will vote for a bid that the old man supports. On the top of that, IOC members linked to political figures in Africa will respond to Lula's lobbying. Unlike Obama, Lula has visited many African nations and has created bonds, both political and economic, with many African nations. The famous blue-eyed-crisis statement and rich-vs-poor speech resonates with those people.

The famous blue-eyed-crisis statement and rich-vs-poor speech resonates with those people.

I hope that African voters have the integrity to vote based on sensible factors and not racially motivated ones as you are intimating. Lula's 'blue eyed crisis' statement showed him up for the bigot that he is!

We have discussed the hosting of the Winter Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere innumerable times. New Zealand and South America are severely disadvantaged because their winter season is completely opposite and out of synch for 96% of the athletes that compete in the Winter Games.

A great part of the 96% of the athletes that compete in the Winter Games train in South America when is summer in the northen hemisphere.

And for the Winter Olympics, it is the mountain ranges that play a big role...so far the IOC has only selected Alpine/Central Europe (11 times), Norway (2 times), North American Rockies/Coast (4 times), North American Appalachians (2 times), Japan (2 times) and Russia's Caucasus (1 to come) to host the Winter Games.

I don't know what you mean by that, but if you are talking about the size of the mountain ranges, The Andes is bigger than most of the cited above.

Anyway, this is another matter and I don't even remember why we are talking about winter games... :blink:

I don't think I live in the same continent US are. SA and NA have few things in common.

Lula's 'blue eyed crisis' statement showed him up for the bigot that he is!

What? He said "blue eyed BANKERS". The only prejudice that we can extract from his statement was the fact that he assumed no black man owned one (was the CEO) of those banks. Which isn't true. As far as I Know at least one black guy had a big position in one of the banks that filled for bankruptcy..

so that only man can Jump and Say: hey Mr. Lula I got offended by your words because I'm not white and my actions directly or indirectly helped to create this crisis! I'm responsible too! give my "credits"!!

If you are a blue eyed banker but didn't contributed to the crisis, than you have the right to feel offended by lula's words.

Oh and sorry but I don't believe a banker post on the GB forums...

A great part of the 96% of the athletes that compete in the Winter Games train in South America when is summer in the northen hemisphere.

I don't know what you mean by that, but if you are talking about the size of the mountain ranges, The Andes is bigger than most of the cited above.

Anyway, this is another matter and I don't even remember why we are talking about winter games... :blink:

Training and competing are two different things and what it would do to the schedule is another matter all together. And those athletes that do train there are mostly downhill skiers. Do the skaters, hockey players, sliders, curlers and the like train in the South? Don't think so. The snow resorts and winter sports culture of the Southern Hemisphere isn't as developed as it is in the Northern Hemisphere. The basics are that it will be a very hard sell for the Winter Olympics to go to one of the 3 Southern Hemisphere countries that might have a chance.

I hope that African voters have the integrity to vote based on sensible factors and not racially motivated ones as you are intimating. Lula's 'blue eyed crisis' statement showed him up for the bigot that he is!

If Africans votes in Rio, probably will be based on the south-south relationships made by Brazil in the last 8 years.

What? He said "blue eyed BANKERS". The only prejudice that we can extract from his statement was the fact that he assumed no black man owned one (was the CEO) of those banks. Which isn't true. As far as I Know at least one black guy had a big position in one of the banks that filled for bankruptcy..

so that only man can Jump and Say: hey Mr. Lula I got offended by your words because I'm not white and my actions directly or indirectly helped to create this crisis! I'm responsible too! give my "credits"!!

If you are a blue eyed banker but didn't contributed to the crisis, than you have the right to feel offended by lula's words.

Oh and sorry but I don't believe a banker post on the GB forums...

Baloney!

Lula blamed the financial crisis on white people, hence his 'blue eyed crisis' statement. That was a disgusting piece of bigoted racism. I do not need to be a banker to be offended by that.

It just shows how silly Lula is by saying things like that. The world financial system is interconnected to such a degree that everyones actions affect everyone. Why did he not blame the Japanese, Chinese, Indian, African bankers etc. Blaming one ethnic group was a downright lie aimed at appeasing racists like himself.

It's funny, on these forums Brazilians are forever accusing people of being prejudice, yet they are trying to justify Lula's racist rant. Oh, the irony!

Anyway, that is going off topic.

It's funny, on these forums Brazilians are forever accusing people of being prejudice, yet they are trying to justify Lula's racist rant. Oh, the irony!

Exactly. My favorite line of all though, of trying to justify his offensive rants is the " that's just Lula's 'style'", like somehow that makes it okay then. :rolleyes: It's worse than irony, it's complete & utter hypocrisy, to say the very, very least.

Training and competing are two different things and what it would do to the schedule is another matter all together. And those athletes that do train there are mostly downhill skiers. Do the skaters, hockey players, sliders, curlers and the like train in the South? Don't think so.

Skaters, hockey players, sliders, curlers and the like don't need to train in the south because they can train all over the year in ice rinks in their own countries... It isn't climate related...

The snow resorts and winter sports culture of the Southern Hemisphere isn't as developed as it is in the Northern Hemisphere. The basics are that it will be a very hard sell for the Winter Olympics to go to one of the 3 Southern Hemisphere countries that might have a chance.

I egree with you on that... Because of the reasons above, the chances of the games coming to the south is about 3 to dozens... But it wouldn't be impossible. The decisive part is already built, the nature...

Baloney!

Lula blamed the financial crisis on white people, hence his 'blue eyed crisis' statement. That was a disgusting piece of bigoted racism. I do not need to be a banker to be offended by that.

It just shows how silly Lula is by saying things like that. The world financial system is interconnected to such a degree that everyones actions affect everyone. Why did he not blame the Japanese, Chinese, Indian, African bankers etc. Blaming one ethnic group was a downright lie aimed at appeasing racists like himself.

Anyway, that is going off topic.

Prejudicial comments are not good...

Both, made by Lula, made by you...

You all the things and opinion you want here too.

It's oakydoky's style too...

Maybe you can try Brazil's presidency too... LOL

Prejudicial comments are not good...

Both, made by Lula, made by you...

You all the things and opinion you want here too.

It's oakydoky's style too...

Maybe you can try Brazil's presidency too... LOL

Danny, I do not make prejudice rants! I only speak facts - if they annoy people then tough!

But yeah, maybe I will try for Brazil's presidency Danny! :lol:

Archived