Chicagoans Back The Bid...for Rio

kaiak

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
U.S. President Barack Obama has written a letter to International Olympic Committee (IOC) members dated September 10, promising the United States would "welcome the world with open arms" if Chicago is awarded the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

The Associated Press reports Obama said in the letter, "the City of Chicago is designed to host global celebrations and it will deliver a spectacular Olympic experience for one and all".

The letter is reportedly addressed to individual members and bears the signature of the president.

In the letter Obama said, "I deeply appreciate the tremendous work of the Olympic Movement and wish to convey my strong support for Chicago 2016". Obama cites the "transformative power" of the Olympics to unite people.

He added, "as President, I see the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games as an extraordinary opportunity for America to renew our bonds of friendship and welcome the world to our shores with open arms. If you honor Chicago with your selection, we will ensure that the Olympic and Paralympic Games are a key priority for our nation.

"You can count on our government to support Chicago's quest to host an unforgettable event and strengthen the Olympic movement. I believe we have an historic opportunity to do great things together, and I look forward to discussing that opportunity with you. If not in Copenhagen, then soon thereafter if Chicago is your choice".

The letter is dated a day prior to the White House announcement that Obama was unable to commit to going to Copenhagen because of the health care debate and was sending first lady Michelle Obama instead, reports the Associated Press.

He-he-he. An Obama Presidential letter in hand is worth 2 in the Bush, Anne-Marie. :P

Yes, for me this is a honest moviment from chicagoans.

Chicagoans opposed to a Chicago Olympics

Michelle Malkin has a nice post on the arm-twisting ways that the Obama Machine is using to claim the 2016 Olympics for The Won — er, Chicago.

This would line many a pocket.

Malkin vowed: “From now until Oct. 2, when the International Olympic Committee votes on the decision in Copenhagen, I’ll keep tabs on all the Chicago scheming with an Olympics Crony Watch.”

Not all Chicagoans favor an Olympics in Chicago.

Pointing out the cost overruns of many, many Olympics — it took Montreal 30 years to pay off its debt from the 1976 Olympics — these Chicagoans want to send the Olympics to Brazil.

Winning an Olympics is a Pyrrhic victory. Let Rio de Janiero have the 2016 Olympics, they say.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/2009/09/22/10116/

The site:

http://www.chicagoansforrio.com/

If Rio wins, cariocas and chicagoans will celebrate.

Well, I'm not sure "honest" is necessarily the right word, although I don't doubt the forcefulness of their opposition as individuals. I'm no expert in domestic American politics but I've heard many Chicagoans say the NoGames supporters have been peddling half-truths or even outright lies to persaude people of their cause. Perhaps Soaring can shed some light?

Well, I'm not sure "honest" is necessarily the right word, although I don't doubt the forcefulness of their opposition as individuals. I'm no expert in domestic American politics but I've heard many Chicagoans say the NoGames supporters have been peddling half-truths or even outright lies to persaude people of their cause. Perhaps Soaring can shed some light?

Oh, please...I don't need to be persuaded to express my feelings. Before assuming any position, come over and check with your own ears what many chicagoans expect from SOGs. US must show it can have a solid economy again before commiting our money. We are in crisis baby!

I can welcome chicagoans support and say that is humourous and sarcastic site made by those who are against games in Chicago.

They can protest with sarcasm, why not? And we, from Rio, can open our arms for their support, why not?

---

We will not condemn sarcasm now, are we? If yes, Bye Baron, Bye Oaky, bye to almost half GamesBids forum...

Yes, for me this is a honest moviment from chicagoans.

Chicagoans opposed to a Chicago Olympics

Michelle Malkin has a nice post on the arm-twisting ways that the Obama Machine is using to claim the 2016 Olympics for The Won — er, Chicago.

Enough said.

Michelle Malkin is one of the absolutely least credible people out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Malkin

She's a conservative radio host who, like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and any number of other commentators (for a few examples of what they talk about, just read Jim Jones's postings) - is opposed to Obama on everything and looks for any reason to discredit him. She's one of the most quoted people on the "birther" movement - the effort to disqualify Obama because, according to them, he was actually born in Kenya rather than Hawaii; she's a frequent guest on Fox News (the network of Rupert Murdoch and also extremely biased); she attends and support the town halls and "teaparties" where people interrupt senators and representatives with insults and carry guns into meetings and say "I don't know what this country is becoming !!!!" And who somehow are still proud of people like VP Dick Cheney and Sec of Defense Donald Rumsfeld years after they lead the invasion of Iraq.

Please. Really.

It's fine to be unrealistic about your own country and city - although claiming perfection for your city doesn't make it perfect.

But at least check your sources before posting a statement about another country. Conservative Fantasyland is not where most of the world lives and is not a basis for a reasonable discussion. Supporting Rio should not mean attaching yourself to Obama's opposition simply because Rio is competing against his home town.

CHItown '16

Well - from my point of view:

Much of what NoGames Chicago (also known as "ProGames ___"?) provides for support are complete distortions of what those documents are actually trying to accomplish. They even quote the Document of Understanding between Chicago 2016 and community groups (a document negotiated between the city, Chicago 2016, and about a dozen or so community groups) as a net negative to those groups. And highlight just about every Chicago 2016 venue as a negative to their neighborhoods and as unnecessary and likely to overshoot their budgets. Most of the people I've seen at their meetings are political opponents of Mayor Daley and people who oppose his policies, and people who would oppose anything in the city rather than people who can verbalize any particular concerns about Chicago 2016. They've completely lost credibility with me and, when people ask me about them, I explain the reality behind their complaints.

CHItown '16

Well - from my point of view:

Much of what NoGames Chicago (also known as "ProGames ___"?) provides for support are complete distortions of what those documents are actually trying to accomplish. They even quote the Document of Understanding between Chicago 2016 and community groups (a document negotiated between the city, Chicago 2016, and about a dozen or so community groups) as a net negative to those groups. And highlight just about every Chicago 2016 venue as a negative to their neighborhoods and as unnecessary and likely to overshoot their budgets. Most of the people I've seen at their meetings are political opponents of Mayor Daley and people who oppose his policies, and people who would oppose anything in the city rather than people who can verbalize any particular concerns about Chicago 2016. They've completely lost credibility with me and, when people ask me about them, I explain the reality behind their complaints.

CHItown '16

So, take it as negative point to our bid then.[/color]

Archived