jim jones

Gold Coast 2018

16 hours ago, spiele said:

Again this ties into my reply in another thread - you do realise that the infrastructure works directly associated with Gold Coast 2018 far exceeds anything built by Melbourne for 2006?

The key word is smaller- all the Gold Coast facilities are much smaller than the Melbourne ones, and set a precedent for a SMALLER Games......whether new, old or recycled.

Larger venues, even existing ones  have higher overlay, staffing, and ongoing capital costs.

• Like 1

spiele    4
11 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

The key word is smaller- all the Gold Coast facilities are much smaller than the Melbourne ones, and set a precedent for a SMALLER Games......whether new, old or recycled.

Larger venues, even existing ones  have higher overlay, staffing, and ongoing capital costs.

That still doesn't make sense when you consider the reality:

• Most of Melbourne's venues were existing, and chosen for 2006 simply due to practical reasons alone. Much of the enhancements to existing venues (bar the outdoor pool at MSAC and the Village) were on the cards prior to winning the bid in 1999. 
  • Gold Coast is undertaking probably twice the amount of capital infrastructure works directly associated with the Games than Melbourne did - for a city of just 500,000. Whilst many venues are existing, most are undergoing pretty significant enhancement works. 

When you look at the bigger picture, the work going into GC2018 isn't small scale - its quite large. The Commonwealth Games will leave a bigger imprint on that city than it did on Melbourne.

Brekkie Boy    64
On 3/18/2017 at 10:54 AM, Alexjc said:

:angry: well ain't that just a kicker in the between legs area!

Athletics NZ and NZOC has decided to cut funding for NZ's qualifying Track and Field athletes who wish to attend next year's CWGs. Instead giving full focus on team sports!

Athletics NZ will now focus funding towards the London World Track and Field Champs instead...So clearly you can see where NZ is focussing it's T&F future in building up to the Olympic Games. I guess logic dictates our limited funding be allowed to place athletes among sports power nations not in the CGF. Waste of time disrupting them with a diminishing event.

Oh well...another nail in the coffin. :(

Obviously NZ have had great success in team sports but it's completely the opposite strategy of Team GB where the focus has been on individual sports with multiple medals up for grabs rather than team sports with just one or two medals to be won. 

As long as Liam Malone gets a race though all should be good.

So the ticketing confirmations came out this morning - I got less than half of what I asked for but surprisingly got the ones I'd assume were the greatest long shots.

Did anyone else apply and how did you do?

Hobart    11

Only ones i missed are hockey finals but hopeful pick some up between now and April.

Athletics, Basketball W SF, Rugby 7s final and closing ceremonies.

Also found a swap or buy/sell tickets account on twitter @gc2018tix so hopefully that will get me some tickets like twitter did at London Olympics

intoronto    632
  • Totallympics Addicted
  • 1,077 posts
  • medal_silver_3.png.a52dffd914a06e0156a96
  • Nation: Canada

The following teams have qualified. For basketball it was the top 3 in the world rankings, host nation and 4 invited nations. For netball it was the top 11 in the world rankings + host nation.

Men's Basketball teams

:AUS Australia

:CMR Cameroon

:CAN Canada

:ENG England

:IND India

:NZL New Zealand

:NGR Nigeria

:SCO Scotland

Women's Basketball teams

:AUS Australia

:CAN Canada