Gold Coast 2018

33 minutes ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Sagami Bay (just south of Tokyo) is a popular surf spot.  I'm guessing it'll be staged there.

I'd certainly hope it's a natural break, liked Sagami Bay, rather than a wave pool. It'd be a more spectacular debut. 

For 2024 I guess, though, Budapest would be stuffed if they don't use a wave machine. LA would be set, and the French could use, I guess, Biarritz, which I think gets used on the pro circuit.

Edited by Sir Rols

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1479608079408.jpg

Oh Dear!

Don't know what to make of this. Looks like some new Ice Cream bar... or a sex toy. The coloured (pink) bit is supposed to change colour when passed from person to person. And apparently made from Macadamia wood and recycled plastic from the Gold Coast waterways.

I suppose the best I can say is very Gold Coast... very tacky.

Edited by Sir Rols

What is that supossed to represent? Though on a positive note at least they didn't tried too hard with the mechanism for the message, specially after that hilarious/embarassing moment from Glasgow 2014 opening. 

1abd5b4cc07a10c2de50450272d60a6b

CxrLH3mVQAAPL-l.jpg

I still prefer Melbourne's baton 10x times over this, though.

actress-rebecca-gibney-waves-as-she-carr

Apparently their official website has more details about the Baton, alongside the logo of the relay

https://www.gc2018.com/qbr

The Queen’s Message

The Queen’s message will be printed on a special paper made from Spinifex; a grass-like plant that has extensive traditional indigenous uses. Held safely on the side of the Baton, the folded Queen’s message can be seen through a clear window.

Connection to Country

The Gold Coast is a place of strong contrasts and deep connections. The Baton personifies our connection to the ocean and the land with the selection of contrasting materials and finishes. The warm, natural, earthy macadamia wood contrasts the bright, structured reclaimed plastic leading edge. Separated by a stainless steel stringer, you can see the linear reflection of the coastline and hinterland in the Baton’s form.

So yeah there will be no secret key mechanism to open it like back then. Which is in part a good thing. Still this is going to take a while to get used to, almost like that infamous Sochi 2014 torch. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Who will Gold Coast City hand off the CGF flag to at the end of next year's games?

...Sadly it could be to - Gold Coast City. :(

Durban is expected to tap out of hosting the 2022 edition as costs for the third level event continue to blow out of control.

This leaves either an Australian "ready to go city" or England as emergency hosts.

Personally, they should stay in Australia until 2026. There is no other country that can step up in time that has the facilities AND the physical attraction that Australia will have to offer in what will be an embarrassment for the CGF and Commonwealth in general. 

1 hour ago, Scotguy said:

Glasgow saved the Commonwealth Games once, they can do it again. 4 years to build another athletes village.... plenty of areas needing regeneration.

Scotland has saved them twice...But does it want to do it again? - Can it afford to?

This is a sign that the games need to be paired down...

I dread to say it, but some Team sports need to go.

2 hours ago, Alexjc said:

Scotland has saved them twice...But does it want to do it again? - Can it afford to?

This is a sign that the games need to be paired down...

I dread to say it, but some Team sports need to go.

Well at least the Gold Coast (and to some degree Glasgow) are paring the Games down in scale from KL, Delhi and Melbourne ...... I thi k the Gmaes will be a much smaller and manageable size after the Gold Coast example.

Interesting Australia / NZ and Pacific Countries look like they will be invited to the Asian Summer Games soon...mmm

• 3 weeks later...

:angry: well ain't that just a kicker in the between legs area!

Athletics NZ and NZOC has decided to cut funding for NZ's qualifying Track and Field athletes who wish to attend next year's CWGs. Instead giving full focus on team sports!

Athletics NZ will now focus funding towards the London World Track and Field Champs instead...So clearly you can see where NZ is focussing it's T&F future in building up to the Olympic Games. I guess logic dictates our limited funding be allowed to place athletes among sports power nations not in the CGF. Waste of time disrupting them with a diminishing event.

Oh well...another nail in the coffin. :(

Edited by Alexjc

On 3/1/2017 at 5:03 PM, Scotguy said:

Glasgow saved the Commonwealth Games once, they can do it again. 4 years to build another athletes village.... plenty of areas needing regeneration.

How did Glasgow 'save' the Commonwealth Games?

On 3/1/2017 at 9:03 PM, TorchbearerSydney said:

Well at least the Gold Coast (and to some degree Glasgow) are paring the Games down in scale from KL, Delhi and Melbourne ...... I thi k the Gmaes will be a much smaller and manageable size after the Gold Coast example.

Interesting Australia / NZ and Pacific Countries look like they will be invited to the Asian Summer Games soon...mmm

Again this ties into my reply in another thread - you do realise that the infrastructure works directly associated with Gold Coast 2018 far exceeds anything built by Melbourne for 2006?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spiele said:

Again this ties into my reply in another thread - you do realise that the infrastructure works directly associated with Gold Coast 2018 far exceeds anything built by Melbourne for 2006?

Melbourne was a turnkey start engine and go Games. Everything was already there.

Gold Coast is building legacy structures for future use. As with Sydney, London and Melbourne, their facilities will not waste away. 

Glasgow didn't "Save" the CWGs, but did show that savings in dollars could be made with common sense.

16 hours ago, spiele said:

The key word is smaller- all the Gold Coast facilities are much smaller than the Melbourne ones, and set a precedent for a SMALLER Games......whether new, old or recycled.

Larger venues, even existing ones  have higher overlay, staffing, and ongoing capital costs.

• Like 1