Gold Coast 2018

Just got my beautiful Gold Coast hoody delivered! Must be the only person in the uk wearing it!

Probably in the world, I live in the GC and I haven't seen anything about the CWG out and about, apart from the actual clock in Surfers Paradise.

:P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Village plans revealed. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2018/1019113-gold-coast-2018-commonwealth-games-village-plans-revealed - Source: Inside the Games.

Great village - but the design looks a little bit gauche, especially that fountain... what is that? Some beefed up version of Cathy's cauldron?

I agree. The Village is brilliant and will leave a brilliant legacy for Gold Coast.

Gold Coast celebrates four years to go until the Opening Ceremony of the 2018 Commonwealth Games at the Carrara Stadium, with a beach party. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2018/1019278-gold-coast-2018-celebrate-four-years-to-go-with-beach-party - Source: Inside the Games.

• 2 months later...

Many analysts say that it was global politics that took away the opportunity for Sri Lanka to host the Commonwealth Games and not the lack of infrastructure and planning.

This writer was in St. Kitts along with the Editor-in-Chief of Sunday Observer and Associate Editor, Sports, Daily News, Dinesh Weerawansa and other sports media and we saw how the Western countries put pressure on smaller countries to vote against Sri Lanka.

Some Asian countries were promised international stadiums, training centres built free of charge if they had voted against Sri Lanka and these smaller countries fell for this western power. And this was how 'Hambantota Commonwealth bid' was robbed from Sri Lanka.

Interesting tidbit from a Sri Lankan newspaper

No, Sri Lanka lost the 2010 Commonwealth Games because it put forward an undeveloped fishing village with a population of only a few thousand as its candidate 'city'. Sri Lanka could have hosted 2010 if it weren't for three key issues:

-They should have put forward Colombo instead.

-Delhi 2010 was a total mess. Can't really blame the CGF for not finding its more disorganised next door neighbour enticing.

-They have appalling internal human rights issues.

Those three factors combined saw them rob themselves of 2010. Lucky for the CGF Australia was eager to please. 2018 will be a bit boring - but at least its in good hands. It will be a tropical Victoria 1994.

• Like 4

Tropical yes but not really a Victoria 1994...although back then it proved you could get by on a stingy budget. Also it was the last of the "small" games.

Gold Coast is, however, being used as a catalyst for spending restraint. Yes the CWGs provide an excuse for development, but more so now in the era of austerity, making do with what you got.

Developing countries such as Sri Lanka can probably look with a bit more ease. And who wouldn't mind the West Indies hosting again?

Well, you have to be cost-effective when these Games are already walking on eggshells after Delhi. I'm very confident that Glasgow will have a flawless Commies and restore some faith in the Games. That being said, I think the Commonwealth is naturally fading into irrelevancy, and this competition well never be nearly as popular as it once was.

Well, you have to be cost-effective when these Games are already walking on eggshells after Delhi. I'm very confident that Glasgow will have a flawless Commies and restore some faith in the Games. That being said, I think the Commonwealth is naturally fading into irrelevancy, and this competition well never be nearly as popular as it once was.

The Commonwealth has long since faded as a major international group of influence. Many nations have long sinced moved into their regional neighborhood alliances. But it is now more a discussion forum for world leaders of an alternative to the superpower influenced UN. And the Commies are a nice touch to round up the family for a get together. It will probably fade out after QEII passes. I think this is why nations looking into the future are reluctant to bid.

• 1 month later...

ICC rejects 2018 offer, cricket stays out of Games

Cricket's absence from Commonwealth Games will continue at least until the 2018 Games in Australia after the International Cricket Council turned down an invitation from the governing body of the multi-sport event.

South Africa won the gold medal when cricket, in its 50-over format, made its only appearance at the quadrennial event featuring mostly former British colonies during the 1998 Kuala Lumpur Games.

Prince Tunku Imran of Malaysia, the chairman of the Commonwealth Games Federation, formally approached the ICC in 2012 to consider participating in the 2014 Glasgow Games, which got underway on Wednesday, and also the next one.

"There were discussions about the inclusion of men's and women's Twenty20 cricket in both the 2014 and 2018 Commonwealth Games but neither of these came to fruition," an ICC spokesperson told Reuters in a statement.

"However, cricket is scheduled to feature in the Commonwealth Youth Games in St Lucia in 2017."

While Twenty20 is considered a fit for multi-sport events, the ICC currently holds a 20-over World Cup every two years.

The dense 2015-2023 cricketing calendar and the 2018 Games, scheduled Apr 4-15 at Gold Coast, clashing with the lucrative Indian Premier League are also believed to be major hurdles for the sport's inclusion in the event.

Twenty20 cricket will feature in this year's Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, but Asian powerhouses India and Pakistan will not participate.

Reuters

• 2 weeks later...

ICC rejects 2018 offer, cricket stays out of Games

Cricket's absence from Commonwealth Games will continue at least until the 2018 Games in Australia after the International Cricket Council turned down an invitation from the governing body of the multi-sport event.

South Africa won the gold medal when cricket, in its 50-over format, made its only appearance at the quadrennial event featuring mostly former British colonies during the 1998 Kuala Lumpur Games.

Prince Tunku Imran of Malaysia, the chairman of the Commonwealth Games Federation, formally approached the ICC in 2012 to consider participating in the 2014 Glasgow Games, which got underway on Wednesday, and also the next one.

"There were discussions about the inclusion of men's and women's Twenty20 cricket in both the 2014 and 2018 Commonwealth Games but neither of these came to fruition," an ICC spokesperson told Reuters in a statement.

"However, cricket is scheduled to feature in the Commonwealth Youth Games in St Lucia in 2017."

While Twenty20 is considered a fit for multi-sport events, the ICC currently holds a 20-over World Cup every two years.

The dense 2015-2023 cricketing calendar and the 2018 Games, scheduled Apr 4-15 at Gold Coast, clashing with the lucrative Indian Premier League are also believed to be major hurdles for the sport's inclusion in the event.

Twenty20 cricket will feature in this year's Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, but Asian powerhouses India and Pakistan will not participate.

Reuters

:mellow: I dont think Cricket should be in there anyway, (IMO). Even in 20/20 format,too long and unwealdly to manage...and weather dependant. There seems to be a move to slim down the Team Sports formats to their "fast" versions with Hockey six man and the even faster Netball 6 formats being looked at by the CGF. A better TV and today's short attention span spectator fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Channel 7 gets the broadcast deal for the 2018 Commonwealth games. Pretty good few months for channel 7. On top of this they also landed the rights for the 2016/2018/2020 olympics!

Judging by the article they paid around $40 million? More than channel 10's $30m for 2014 but less than the $50m paid by 9 for 2006.

It’s understood the Gold Coast 2018 deal is worth more than the $30m forked out by Ten for the recent Commonwealth Games in Scotland’s largest city Glasgow, which delivered bumper ratings for the network earlier this month despite taking place in an unfavourable time zone.

Executives at Seven are confident the Gold Coast deal represents great value because the network has paid less than the $50m paid by Nine for Melbourne 2006, and includes all media rights.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/seven-network-inks-broadcast-deal-for-2018-commonwealth-games-on-gold-coast/story-e6frg996-1227029816735

Just seen this....Gold Coast's new velodrome design released last month..

Well, I guess they say Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

778388p3399EDNmain13-12-03_A1-Boards_1%2

http://qld.cycling.org.au/News/All-News/ArtMID/3399/ArticleID/9358/Brisbane-firm-to-design-new-Queensland-State-Velodrome

Rob, a couple of velodromes look like that. It all stems from Aero Saarinen's design of the TWA terminal at JFK in the 1960s. Calgary's Saddledome is also in that velodramatic configuration.

Good to see 7 have the rights - they seem to be the preferred multi-event broadcaster amongst Australians.

Preferred by who?

7's past olympic coverage has been utterly disgraceful

While 9 was no better in 2012 at least they had FOXTEL as a partner and had multiple channels .... that won't happen while Kerry Stokes is in charge of 7

Remember Yum Cha?

Seven was always superior IMO. I miss Joanna Griggs. Hopefully we see the return of Roy&HG in their usual form. I think Roy&HG in Rio would be great fun.

Just seen this....Gold Coast's new velodrome design released last month..

Well, I guess they say Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

Don't flatter yourself. Nearby Brisbane has its own Eiffel Tower... on top of an Italian Restaurant

9280560469_40aefae938_z.jpg

Now that I look at it, I think it looks more like that Blackpool Tower than Eiffel...

• Like 2

I think Roy&HG in Rio would be great fun.

Pity their Sochi show sucked, though.

The 2018 home commies are a good buy for 7. Good having the broadcaster involved in both the major games. People will always whine about the host broadcaster, but I'm more relieved to have Bruce Macaveney back than Eddie stump up for another stint.

Ten's better off out of it. I didn't mind their Sochi coverage, but only because they were cheap and let the OBS feeds run more or less uninterrupted.But their Glasgow coverage was woeful.

While 9 was no better in 2012 at least they had FOXTEL as a partner and had multiple channels .... that won't happen while Kerry Stokes is in charge of 7

Can't see how they could avoid multi-channelling it.

Funny how we all have different opinions. Did not like London and Foxtels coverage of 2012. (don't own foxtel but did get it for the Olympic period) Even though foxtel did like 8 channels, half of them were old highlights of Aussie events and they didn't show any events that either Australia wouldn't be good at or they weren't involved in.

I remember the same problems with Beijing and channel 7. I also remember the complaints about how they kept prioritizing the AFL over Olympic events due to their existing deal with the AFL.

Yet I really enjoyed how Channel 10 did the broadcasting for both Sochi and Glasgow. I got to see all the things I wanted for Sochi and for events that they didn't show much of (like curling) I just hopped on the iPad or computer and went on ten play. Also like how they used channel one as well.

I agree Channel 7 has the best commentators which will be great. However, I really hope they have 7two showing other events during the games and that they use an online platform accessible from laptop, ipads and phones.