Gold Coast 2018

Shame too that Auckland didn't get its act together - no disrespect to Queenslanders but I would have taken that in a heartbeat over Gold Coast for 2018.

Yep, even as an Aussie, I'd have to agree. It could have been their's for the taking.

The general plan for Christchurch is a bid for 2034 at the latest. Rebuilding is well and truly underway and the 'heavy' stuff is going to take ten years.

The Auckland '18 proposal was more a private attempt...The then Auckland City Council and North Shore City Council never got on anyway, and when all the councils were united under Auckland Council, the priority was for getting the transport infrastructure and services up to global standard and the RWC was just over the horizon. Auckland ratepayers and ultimately the NZ taxpayer simply couldn't stomach another event when at the time the GFC was in full effect...Although NZ has come through it as better off than most others. 2026 is most likely a first attempt at it.

Don't know if this has been posted by anyone yet but here is the Gold Coast 2018 logo:

225398-gold-coast-commonwealth-games-201

It looks very Australian following in the tradition (Melbourne 2006, Sydney 2000) of Australia using abstract figures as part of the logo. I like it. Very cheery.

• Like 1

:huh: Interesting to see that the state host QUEENSLAND is used at the base of the CGF plinth in stead of Australia. Clearly defining a seperation so as not to give the impression that 'all of' the federation is hosting...A new way of thinking prehaps with portent of the future which may have to involve Australia's states hosting more often than not?

Don't know if this has been posted by anyone yet but here is the Gold Coast 2018 logo:

225398-gold-coast-commonwealth-games-201

It looks very Australian following in the tradition (Melbourne 2006, Sydney 2000) of Australia using abstract figures as part of the logo. I like it. Very cheery.

Beats the crap out of Glasgow 2014. I just noticed, that point on the top middle, is that supposed to signify the Q1? Supposedly tallest apartment building in the Southern Hemisphere/Australia?

Slick job, very colourful. Will it work on anything other than a white background though?

<_< In Queensland you're only ever gonna get a White background... :lol: Buuuurn!!!

• Like 1

<_< In Queensland you're only ever gonna get a White background... :lol: Buuuurn!!!

The Gold Coast is VERY white, aspirational middle class Australia. However, it does get quite a high amount of overseas visitors, mainly from wealthy Asian and Middle Eastern countries. It can also be a very *glitzy* and brash city, even though this can be derided by other Australians as just tacky.

In some ways it is a very interesting city, being one of the fastest growing in the Anglosphere - prior to WW2 is was literally sprawling oceanside farms and plantations, with a population of only some hundred or so people, today it has close to 700,000 (half that growth since the 1980's alone) so its very much happened in the blink of an eye. I've never really liked it myself, I've found it it to be superficial, but the 2018 Games will come as a coming of age of the city - coupled with the completion of the LRT mass transit system.

• Like 1

Oh you'd be surprised Queensland and Gold Coast/Brisbane have had huge increases of Asian population in the past few years.

And Pacific Island, too, which has given it an almost Auckland like demographic. However, compared to Sydney and Melbourne, which are some of the most multicultural cities in the world, it is still far behind in that regard. Most (as in some 90%) of all migrants into Australia settle in either Greater Melbourne or Sydney.

:) You could pretty much say the same for Christcurch v Auckland...Doesn't matter anyway, for two weeks in 2018, Gold Coast will be the most multi-cultural city in the world.

Counting on a new attraction

countdown-to-games-140413.jpg

THE clock is ticking for the 2018 Commonwealth Games and organisers are hoping that the 4m high structure will become the Coast's latest tourist attraction.

Unveiled recently at the launch of the Coast's Games logo, the clock is counting down the years, days, hours and minutes to the start of the major sporting event.

Shaped as a surfboard and located at the beach end of Cavill Ave in Surfers Paradise, the Countdown Clock is the first fixed element of the Commonwealth Games visual identity program.

Commonwealth Games Minister Jann Stuckey said the Countdown Clock was a physical reminder that the Gold Coast would host one of the world's biggest sporting events in 2018.

The Countdown Clock incorporates the Games official emblem and indicates the time remaining until the start of the opening ceremony at 7pm on April 4, 2018.

Ms Stuckey encouraged locals and visitors to take photographs with the Countdown Clock and share them with friends and family, both locally and overseas.

Gold Coast Acting Mayor Donna Gates said the design of the Countdown Clock captured the city's iconic beach culture.

"The Countdown Clock is an eye-catching reminder that we are the proud host city for the 2018 Commonwealth Games not only to our community, but also to the 11 million visitors the Gold Coast welcomes each year," Cr Gates said.

Gold Coast Bulletin

Surprisingly it's slightly later than the normal Australasian 'February/March' CWGs hosting time. April's a good time though and probibly to miss Cyclone season above all else... :huh:

Surprisingly it's slightly later than the normal Australasian 'February/March' CWGs hosting time. April's a good time though and probibly to miss Cyclone season above all else... :huh:

They couldn;t host in February even if they had wanted to. The WOG would prevent that.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is timed well with the unveiling of the new logo a few weeks back - and the 5 year mark until 2018. The earlier, the better I say!

At least Gold Coast managed to get its official logo up and away well before the previous Games and the all important handover -- something Sydney 2000 and Melbourne 2006 failed to do, showing up to the Closing Ceremonies of Atlanta 1996 and Manchester 2002 respectively with their bid logos - it looks disorganised.

I think it is timed well with the unveiling of the new logo a few weeks back - and the 5 year mark until 2018. The earlier, the better I say!

At least Gold Coast managed to get its official logo up and away well before the previous Games and the all important handover -- something Sydney 2000 and Melbourne 2006 failed to do, showing up to the Closing Ceremonies of Atlanta 1996 and Manchester 2002 respectively with their bid logos - it looks disorganised.

You think that's bad, Auckland 1990 only ever used it's bid logo...Being the retards Aucklanders are, they could never decide on an actual games logo.

You think that's bad, Auckland 1990 only ever used it's bid logo...Being the retards Aucklanders are, they could never decide on an actual games logo.

That said, their logo for the 1950 Games were clearly the best and most refined until 1974.