Gold Coast 2018

Of course the floods will have a negative, short-term fiscal impact and push Queensland (if not Australia) into a technical "recession".

As you point out Rols, logistically it is still well and truly possible. It won't be unreasonable for QLD to be borrowing and increasing its debt for this event and the flood clean up. I believe all Australian states, territories and Federal Government still maintain an AA+ credit rating so sourcing and repaying the funds won't be difficult.

The biggest hurdle will be convincing the public. If the floods had a greater effect on the Gold Coast, it could perhaps be used an event to "show off" how well the region had recovered by 2018.

Of course the floods will have a negative, short-term fiscal impact and push Queensland (if not Australia) into a technical "recession".

As you point out Rols, logistically it is still well and truly possible. It won't be unreasonable for QLD to be borrowing and increasing its debt for this event and the flood clean up. I believe all Australian states, territories and Federal Government still maintain an AA+ credit rating so sourcing and repaying the funds won't be difficult.

The biggest hurdle will be convincing the public. If the floods had a greater effect on the Gold Coast, it could perhaps be used an event to "show off" how well the region had recovered by 2018.

Exactly, it's going to be a public support problem more than a logistical one.

I'd expect the financial downside of the floods to be very short lived. By the time reconstruction gets going in earnest, if anything it's going to be an economic growth booster.

I'd expect the financial downside of the floods to be very short lived. By the time reconstruction gets going in earnest, if anything it's going to be an economic growth booster.

Certainly. It's only the totally economic naive who someone think cities are some how "broke" just because they run a deficit more than they run a surplus or have debt liabitlies.

I expect these floods to have some effect on the QLD and Federal bottom line in the short-term (perhaps the next 3 years), though it will probably have a number of positive effects on QLD's economy in the lead up to a Commonwealth Games (increased labour demand, low inflationary pressure, slower growth).

Yep, there will be lots of naysayers out there (particularly those who are either drastically affected by the floods, as well as potentially those north of the likes of Gympir and Scaryborough who have a fairly disinterested take on the GC), however now that St Anna of the Waters has dispersed her hugely negative perception from 2010 thanks to her stateswomanish performance with the floods I am sure she will be able to sell GC2018 as if she was flogging ice to eskimos. That whole 'we are Queenslanders' pitch will make many a Cane Toad dig deep emotionally for something like a win for 2018.

By the way right now I would not want to be anyone involved with the NSW state of origin team...the Maroons are gonna come out at Lang Aquarium...oops, I mean Lang Park with a heart bigger than Phar Lap as doctored by an East German sports physician.

It really says something about this race when hypothetical future GC public opinion and the remote possibility that the bid may be cancelled are bigger threats to its 2018 chances than the rival bidder is.

Rob I wish I could agree 100% with you but having seen the simply lemming-like decision of the Blatherites in MaFIFA take football totally into the slough of despond by picking Qatar as well as watching the schemozzle that was the lead into Delhi 2010 the Hambantota bid will be at least of some interest to Fennell's mob later this year. It shouldn't be; it should be laughed out of existence however commonsense and sanity is in short supply with certain sports administrators. Whilst the GC2018 bid does have problems in terms of convincing locals of its value it does stand out as a beacon of reasonable and suitable existing games capability unlike the foreign aid funded fishing village that can;t even complete a cricket ground after missing two deadlines.

Rob I wish I could agree 100% with you but having seen the simply lemming-like decision of the Blatherites in MaFIFA take football totally into the slough of despond by picking Qatar as well as watching the schemozzle that was the lead into Delhi 2010 the Hambantota bid will be at least of some interest to Fennell's mob later this year. It shouldn't be; it should be laughed out of existence however commonsense and sanity is in short supply with certain sports administrators. Whilst the GC2018 bid does have problems in terms of convincing locals of its value it does stand out as a beacon of reasonable and suitable existing games capability unlike the foreign aid funded fishing village that can;t even complete a cricket ground after missing two deadlines.

These cheap words are enough to win votes. :lol: but hambantota bids capabilities will be shown in the commoing months B)

Ah, but the CGF isn't FIFA, and if you're worried about common sense I think you can take comfort in the vote for 2014 - Glasgow 47- Abuja 24. And this was with Abuja having more cash on the table as bribes sports grants.

If you're glass half full person, you can take that result as signs of the CGF's good sense.

If you are glass half empty person and really have to cast for sinister motives, you'd have to take the JJ explanation - the CGF are all old racist whitey massahs and their chah-wallahs who can be bought for a case of scotch.

Rols I agree that the CGF is not MaFIFA and the 2014 vote shows that the CGF can make a decision based on common sense. However it has to be said that the Delhi 2010 experience demonstrated how enfeebled the CGF is when it comes to sound policies and procedures as well as there will be a push from certain governments and sporting bodies to follow some kind of anti-old Commonwealth powers approach to selecting the 2018 host. Let's not forget how certain many people were that Abuja would be a better than even chance for winning 2018 if it entered; if such a notoriously underwhelming and non-meritorious bid was perceived as having favouritism before their withdrawal then the Sri Lankan fantasy bid must be given at least some credence (even though we all know it would bring the Commonwealth Games and it's federation into arguably more disrepute than the fick-ups in Delhi or the bribes offered by Abuja).

I still stand by what I said in another thread (can't remember which one).

FIFA, whatever anyone thinks of them or their choices or procedures, has just come off the back of a pretty successful world cup in what was a new region for them and for world football. They would have been brimming with confidence going into the 2018/22 vote. Qatar, whatever anyone thinks of the summer heat and their venue plan, WILL deliver what they promised (even if people don't necessarily like what they have promised).

The CWGF, by contrast, has just experienced the opposite in their latest attempt to bring their event to a new region. They will have a very shaky confidence going into the 2018 vote. Hambantota is struggling with delivering a couple of venues for a cricket world cup, and their lack of any presentation when offered the chance makes Delhi 2010 look like pros. Nobody can surely have any confidence they they will deliver on venues like Qatar will.

It's another ten orders of magnitude. You have two international sporting bodies in completely different frames of mind, and to compound that the riskiness of Sri Lanka is far greater than Qatar. I'd be staggered if they even got close to beating the Australian bid given all these factors.

Edited by RobH

I understand and to some extent agree with all this sentiment in favour of the Gold Coast bid being simply too strong an option, and the CGF can't afford to go down the path of another Delhi, nor that it isn't the same as the MaFIFA. However this is all assuming that the delegates to the vote are actually sensitive to such issues. Don't forget at least a third thought that a year after Melbourne this same organisation they could risk going to an utterly unproven candidate. Then during the lead into the Delhi farce there was a significant proportion of anti-Fennell anti-western sentiment expressed alongside some fairly disgusting cosying up between the principal figures in the Delhi games committee and government and the H2018 zealots. The CGF's state of weakness is just as valid a reason to be worried about when making the sensible decision to go for the logical choice; their membership may be swayed by the utterly fallacious blandishments that will appeal to those members who will feel aggrieved at the (justified) criticism of Delhi, or some petty third world solidarity that has no place in making credible decisions about a major sports festival.

Every logical, sensible, correct, appropriate and actually profitable move from the CGF would be to go to the Gold Coast. It won't be the perfect option (no games no matter organisation gets it right 100%) but it has every element there (and most right now) to probably continue the relevance and success of the CGs. If they go to the home of our current successor to Jim Jones then the CGs will never recover. They will be considered the plaything of despots, rank amateurs and fools.

I understand and to some extent agree with all this sentiment in favour of the Gold Coast bid being simply too strong an option, and the CGF can't afford to go down the path of another Delhi, nor that it isn't the same as the MaFIFA. However this is all assuming that the delegates to the vote are actually sensitive to such issues. Don't forget at least a third thought that a year after Melbourne this same organisation they could risk going to an utterly unproven candidate. Then during the lead into the Delhi farce there was a significant proportion of anti-Fennell anti-western sentiment expressed alongside some fairly disgusting cosying up between the principal figures in the Delhi games committee and government and the H2018 zealots. The CGF's state of weakness is just as valid a reason to be worried about when making the sensible decision to go for the logical choice; their membership may be swayed by the utterly fallacious blandishments that will appeal to those members who will feel aggrieved at the (justified) criticism of Delhi, or some petty third world solidarity that has no place in making credible decisions about a major sports festival.

yawn nice speech but pity boring though sometimes i wonder whether do you even know what are you typing

Every logical, sensible, correct, appropriate and actually profitable move from the CGF would be to go to the Gold Coast. It won't be the perfect option (no games no matter organisation gets it right 100%) but it has every element there (and most right now) to probably continue the relevance and success of the CGs. If they go to the home of our current successor to Jim Jones then the CGs will never recover. They will be considered the plaything of despots, rank amateurs and fools.

logical, sensible, correct, appropriate and actually profitable move for most of the commonwealth nations will be HAMBANTOTA for other who wants this as their monopoly games the choice is gold coast,Australia.

now we have Birmingham 2022(England)it would be not nice to put down a good offer from Sri Lanka.

And @rob what world cup venues are you talking about??? their is no struggle in delivering the venues in Sri Lanka everything is running smoothly.all venues are almost ready B) if their was any problem the eusebius65 word wizard would have come up with it :D and can you explain more about 'riskiness of Sri Lanka' :rolleyes:

yawn nice speech but pity boring though sometimes i wonder whether do you even know what are you typing

logical, sensible, correct, appropriate and actually profitable move for most of the commonwealth nations will be HAMBANTOTA for other who wants this as their monopoly games the choice is gold coast,Australia.

now we have Birmingham 2022(England)it would be not nice to put down a good offer from Sri Lanka.

And @rob what world cup venues are you talking about??? their is no struggle in delivering the venues in Sri Lanka everything is running smoothly.all venues are almost ready B) if their was any problem the eusebius65 word wizard would have come up with it :D and can you explain more about 'riskiness of Sri Lanka' :rolleyes:

January 15th...remember that date...the one that the ICC and SLC set as the second deadline to have the three cricket grounds in your poor country finished and ready for the WC. And yet they still aren't finished are they hmmm? Remember your full of shite statement that the grounds would be ready by the 15th...and they aren't.

You are so full of it if they were looking to find a sinkhole of excrement to fertilise the unfinished grounds then all they'd need to do is get a tip truck to park in front of your mealy mouthed orifice and then ask you to give us another Lord Haw Haw-like statement.

By the way being able to use polysyllabic words and complex sentence structure is something I've developed by obtaining an education. How about you try it too, instead of continuing to utter your Cro-Magnon-esque rectal wind-breaking statements then using BabelFish to translate your gibberish into inanities.

Edited by eusebius65

If the CWG Fed are dumb enough not to have a proper technical report or shortlist then I hope they vote Hambantota and get all that will come with it.. . Abuja was clearly not ready from CWG reports and yet it got to the vote!

If the CWG Fed are dumb enough not to have a proper technical report or shortlist then I hope they vote Hambantota and get all that will come with it.. . Abuja was clearly not ready from CWG reports and yet it got to the vote!

Rafa the problem is the CWG aren't dumb; they are as poor as the IQ of our resident Hamabantota loon. They can't afford to commission a technical report into the bids both financially and perhaps more importantly politically. After all how would it look if they were actually seriously asked to contemplate giving a backward fishing village with bugger all adequate accommodation for athletes and tourists, no sporting facilities, a failed CWG sporting effort that couldn't even win one untainted gold medal in Delhi, failed to send a delegate to the aforementioned games, misses deadlines when it comes to building infrastructure for other international sporting bodies, hasn't even found the creative capability to release a bid logo yet, relies on Koreans and Chinese aid money to build their digital fantasy infrastructure, and finally the local familial autocracy is using the bid much like the Nazis used the 36 Games as a way of glorifying their morally bankrupt leadership. It would be so embarrassing to the CWGs and to the Sri Lankans (who let's not forget were knocked back in their desire to host a F1 race by being told to build a go kart track :lol: ) that it'd probably mean that the poor dears would run off in a JimJones-like huff.

• 1 month later...
Qld still determined to win Comm Games

The Queensland government says it is still determined to secure the 2018 Commonwealth Games, despite the state's huge rebuilding task.

Premier Anna Bligh on Tuesday appointed Gold Coast MP Peta-Kaye Croft as parliamentary secretary for the Commonwealth Games in a move she said showed how serious the government is about the bid.

She said some people had suggested the bid should be abandoned following the floods, but the event was too important to the Gold Coast.

Advertisement: Story continues below

The 1982 Commonwealth Games had been held eight years after the 1974 floods and had been a coming-of-age, she said.

"The 2018 Games would be eight years after the 2010/11 floods," Ms Bligh said in a statement.

"By then the state's massive rebuilding effort will be over and the Gold Coast Games would be a big shot in the arm for the coast and for Queensland."

Ms Bligh travelled to the 2010 New Delhi Commonwealth Games to make a formal presentation aimed at convincing Games officials on the tourist town's credentials.

The Queensland government plans to spend $11 million on its bid and invest more than $1 billion in infrastructure, including an upgraded aquatic centre, new velodrome and athletes' village.

The winning bid will be announced in November.

AAP

• 2 months later...
Gold Coast win vital for Games

THE survival of the Commonwealth Games hinges on the Gold Coast winning the right to host it in 2018, say those closely involved with the event.

Wayne Hickson, a Games media co-ordinator in Manchester, Melbourne and Delhi, said an outstanding Commonwealth Games in both Glasgow in 2014 and the Gold Coast was needed to revive the event after the controversy in India in 2010.

The Gold Coast is in a race against the Sri Lankan city Hambantota for the 2018 Games.

Both cities will present their bid books to the Commonwealth Games Federation in Kuala Lumpur next month and a final decision will be made on November 11.

"The brand of the Commonwealth Games took a massive battering in Delhi," Mr Hickson said of the bad publicity.

"We need two strong Games to put the event back on its feet. Glasgow (alone) will not be enough.

"Giving it to Hambantota will be taking a risk.

"It is really important that the Commonwealth Games Federation protect the brand and keep it relevant."

Controversy has raged again recently about the Delhi Games after event organiser Suresh Kalmadi was arrested on charges relating to overbilling and bid manipulation.

Media reports alleged Games officials in India misappropriated billions of dollars. It followed concerns last year about the standard of venues and delays in finishing work.

Gold Coast Bulletin

Yes, I truly believe the CGF would be having cold sweats now if they were counting down to Abuja 2014. I think a nice "safe" sequence - Glasgow 2014, GC 2018, Cape Town/Durban 2022, is what they'll want before making another adventurous leap.

For all the common sense the statement makes, though, I'm a bit concerned though about such a partisan statement could backfire - I think there's a risk it could go down similarly to how Abuja's "demands" for the games impressed the CGF voters. Still, at least it wasn't a statement by someone on the GC bid committee.

I suppose gamesSL won't agree (where is he, by the way? I haven't seen him here for ages). And if certain former members were still here I could imagine the outrage the GC Bulletin item would provoke. I'll keep tuned to the GC Bulletin article feedback to see if it inspires him (he's been a bit quiet on the usual sites lately - I don't think his heart's in this race).

;)

Edited by Sir Rols

• 2 weeks later...
Anna Bligh flies out for Gold Coast's 2018 Commonwealth Games bid

QUEENSLAND Premier Anna Bligh says details about sports, venues and facilities included in the state's 2018 Commonwealth Games bid for the Gold Coast will be revealed on Friday.

Ms Bligh flew to Malaysia today to lodge the tourist city's 240-page bid book, along with Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke and the Australian Commonwealth Games Association.

Details of the bid will remain confidential for at least 10 days until the Commonwealth Games federation decides whether or not the bid complies with bidding rules.

But Ms Bligh said she would outline some aspects of the bid on the Gold Coast on Friday, including the timing, sports, venues and facilities.

"If successful, the 2018 Commonwealth Games will be the only major international sporting event hosted by Australia in the next decade and it will be hosted right here in Queensland on our beautiful Gold Coast," Ms Bligh told parliament before she left.

She said the state would showcase the Gold Coast to visiting delegates from the six regions of the Commonwealth, including Africa representatives in June, Oceania in July, Europe in August, the Caribbean and the Americas in September and Asia in October.

"I'm confident these visitors .. will be impressed with what the Gold Coast has to offer and by the warm welcome that they will receive from locals," she said.

The Queensland government plans to spend $11 million on its bid and invest more than $1 billion in infrastructure, including an upgraded aquatic centre, new velodrome and athletes' village.

A decision will be made in November.

Courier Mail

Looks like Australia's about to introduce our next Nicky Webster/Tanya Blencowe (the young girl who pitched in our 1993 Sydney presentation in Monte Carlo for the 2000 vote):

Coast schoolgirl has part in Games bid

eves-games-bid-role-1105.jpg

GOLD Coast schoolgirl Eve Lutze will take to the stage before Premier Anna Bligh in Kuala Lumpur today to push the city's bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Eve, who is in year 5 at St Andrews Lutheran College, is also featured in the four-minute promotional DVD that Commonwealth Games Federation members will see at the start of the Gold Coast presentation at 2pm.

The 10-year-old girl will hand over the bid book at the end of the 20-minute presentation that will also include an address from Premier Anna Bligh, Mayor Ron Clarke and bid boss Mark Stockwell.

The Gold Coast presentation will be followed by one from the Sri Lankan city of Hambantota.

Mr Stockwell said the city would be presented as "the best place to conduct a world-class Games with excellent competition in a relaxed and friendly environment''.

"As an athlete, I understand and appreciate the focus that is needed to ensure athletes can compete at their very best,'' he said.

Cr Clarke said the region would do more than provide a great atmosphere for athletes to perform at their best and to encourage new friendships.

"It will be a Games that will forge special memories that last a lifetime, like those I have carried with me for more than 50 years,'' he said.

The Gold Coast will also be showcased to Commonwealth Games representatives ahead of the final decision on November 11 in the Caribbean.

Representatives from Africa will visit the Gold Coast in June, then Oceania representatives follow in July, Europe in August, the Caribbean and the Americas in September, and Asia in October.

Ms Bligh said she was confident the visitors would be impressed with what the Gold Coast had to offer.

Gold Coast Bulletin

Just caught this comment/rant on the Gold Coast Bulletin. Jeez, I wonder who this "paul" is?!?

"gee why is it that white cities like gold coast and glasgow scotland bring out the children to present bid pleas ? Perhaps it is a sign that a very small portion of GC's population and Glasgow's population are indeed into Neo Nazi rallies or racist soccer chats at the Glasgow Rangers Stadium ? Maybe it is that young people in these two cities indeed don't know that they will have their grand children paying taxes for staging these games while the local adults know it very well. "

paul

Gold Coast Bulletin

Edited by Sir Rols