Gold Coast 2018

why does sri lanka scare you?

Boatloads of Tamils coming to Canada, by some conservatives in Canada who don't want them coming at all. Never mind that a fringe group of them say that Tamils are Arabs because of the invention of "suicide bombers" to the world by the Tamil Tigers.

At this rate this is gonna be the most boring and predictable bid since the 2014 World Cup one (and the 2014 YOG). Seriously, who in his right mind is gonna entrust a city who the delegation couldnt even take up the invitation to make a pitch to the CWGF?

Gold Coast looks good to me, although i'm kinda dissapointed that the games would return to Australia so soon in less than 10 years. That is, of course, unless another bid (and i mean, a SERIOUS one) come up before the deadline, which is on May 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Gold Coast resident, based near Southport and let me tell you all I am 100% AGAINST the 2018 Commonwealth Games being hosted here. They are a waste of time and more importantly a waste of money. NO THANKYOU.......

The fact that NO-ONE else wants these games (2018 CWG) should make Gold Coast residents very nervous indeed. I mean who is going to pay for these games? The residents! Expect a massive tax rise to pay for this useless 3rd/ 4th tier sporting event.

The fact that Auckland, New Zealand did a feasibility study which predicted something like a $400- 500 million dollar LOSS, is all the more reason why the Gold Coast shouldn't be going for these games. WE CAN'T AFFORD IT EITHER....

Notice how there were NO bids from Canada (last hosted in 1994), South Africa (never hosted), Singapore (never hosted), New Zealand (last hosted in 1990) - why? Because Canadians, New Zealanders etc can all do maths - Anna Bligh clearly can't... This woman needs to get a calculator quickly and do her sums right.

What we (Gold Coast) should do is to bid for single sporting events eg. FINA World Swimming Championships or the IAAF World Athletics Championships - would require only 1 venue - either an aquatics centre or an athletics stadium (Carrarra stadium which which host athletics in 2018 is nearlt complete, so would be so much cheaper).

Why is the Australian taxpayer being continuosly BURDENED with hosting this irrelevant "wannabe olympics?" Delhi 2010 cost billions to host. Melbourne 2006 cost over $1 billion to host, and that's despite having several venues already existing eg. MCG, Telstra Dome, Aquatics Centre etc.

2 commonwealth games within 12 years??? Who is gonna pay for it?? Not me - NO THANKYOU

• Like 1

I am a Gold Coast resident, based near Southport and let me tell you all I am 100% AGAINST the 2018 Commonwealth Games being hosted here. They are a waste of time and more importantly a waste of money. NO THANKYOU.......

The fact that NO-ONE else wants these games (2018 CWG) should make Gold Coast residents very nervous indeed. I mean who is going to pay for these games? The residents! Expect a massive tax rise to pay for this useless 3rd/ 4th tier sporting event.

The fact that Auckland, New Zealand did a feasibility study which predicted something like a $400- 500 million dollar LOSS, is all the more reason why the Gold Coast shouldn't be going for these games. WE CAN'T AFFORD IT EITHER....

Notice how there were NO bids from Canada (last hosted in 1994), South Africa (never hosted), Singapore (never hosted), New Zealand (last hosted in 1990) - why? Because Canadians, New Zealanders etc can all do maths - Anna Bligh clearly can't... This woman needs to get a calculator quickly and do her sums right.

What we (Gold Coast) should do is to bid for single sporting events eg. FINA World Swimming Championships or the IAAF World Athletics Championships - would require only 1 venue - either an aquatics centre or an athletics stadium (Carrarra stadium which which host athletics in 2018 is nearlt complete, so would be so much cheaper).

Why is the Australian taxpayer being continuosly BURDENED with hosting this irrelevant "wannabe olympics?" Delhi 2010 cost billions to host. Melbourne 2006 cost over $1 billion to host, and that's despite having several venues already existing eg. MCG, Telstra Dome, Aquatics Centre etc.

2 commonwealth games within 12 years??? Who is gonna pay for it?? Not me - NO THANKYOU

Welcome Dan, and thanks for the post. Unfortunately I think you've already been rolled by a Premier and the usual white shoe brigade who want to turn Brizvegas/SEQ into some kind of developers fantasy land where any idea will get a run so long as it's to the benefit of the powers that be.

Please keep us informed about what's happening up there; between the crazy jingoism of our resident Hambantota loon and you so far on the ground locals in the 2018 bids are not yet popping up on the forum.

That's a common argument against almost any public spending initiative or project. The fact remains that while the event itself may not turn over a profit, the economic activity a Commonwealth Games could produce would provide a net-benefit to the Queensland economy in the long run.

I somewhat agree with your point about Australia hosting the event too often, too soon. However on the other hand, I think its more a matter of how a city has developed. I mean, the Gold Coast is increasingly becoming a major metropolitan area in its own right. An event such as this somewhat "announces" the fact the the Gold Coast is quickly joining other prominent cities in Australia. The Games will attract more investment, great diversity in activities and above all more $$$ to the Gold Coast.

I agree hosting the Commonwealths in Brisbane or Sydney (or even Perth) again would offer little to the cities that they don't already have or benefit from.

i think you represent the majority of the people of GC well the things you say proves when comparing the fans in Facebook for the GC bid about 700 (to the village of hambantota who has about 2000 fans) <_<

How would you know?

I mean, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but a Hambantota supporter is hardly the best judge! :lol:

And since when was Facebook an accurate indicator of anything. Perhaps the next CWGs should be in Farmville?

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

How would you know?

I mean, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but a Hambantota supporter is hardly the best judge! :lol:

And since when was Facebook an accurate indicator of anything. Perhaps the next CWGs should be in Farmville?

Rob, it's hard to say whether the Rajapaksa-Mouthpiece and his looney pro-Hambantota rants is just throwing ridiculous comments up in the air (Facebook stats are about as reliable as a Kalmadi promise), or has perhaps actually hit some truth. There is a lot of resentment in Queensland at the policies of the state government and whilst Dan seems to have a real motivated bee in his bonnet there is certainly a question mark over the worth of a GC 2018 bid from Anna Bligh's regime when what was a well funded public infrastructure is now facing some pretty big cuts. Throw in recent scandals over public health and Queenslanders are wary of diversions of funds into something they see as non-core to their welfare.

The old white shoe brigade and their state Labor associates are still very much in favour of a 'big is better' South East Queensland and no doubt resistance is there when the project (i.e. 2018 CGs) seem to have questionable value. If they back up in any way similar to the resistance to the Traveston Dam project then the GC bid team may have some local opposition to assuage.

Whilst the Queensland government is unpopular, I think that people in the Gold Coast would generally be happy about hosting the CWGs. Generally I think only people outside the Gold Coast (in Queensland) would be peeved off about it (due to the massive asset sales etc).

A big issue here in the Gold Coast with regards to the 2018 CWG is the athletes village could be built on land that is being used for the Gold Coast show at Parklands.

Check out this article titled: "No show for Gold Coast Parklands development."

http://subtropic.com.au/2010/10/19/no-show-for-gold-coast-parklands-development/

Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 6:52 am | Reported by Tom Kojrowicz

Gold Coast residents are petitioning to prevent the closure of the iconic Parklands facility, a move that could see the Gold Coast show left without a site.

Parklands is the host of the Big Day Out music festival, which is likely to move interstate upon its closure in 2013. (Image courtesy of aeryxz)

The plea comes after the State Government revealed its ultimate vision for Parklands to be a Transit Oriented Development acting as a support centre for the Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct.

The redevelopment will contain a low-cost, high-density housing proposal and will see the closure of Parklands in June 2013.

It may also be used to accommodate athletes if the Gold Coast wins the 2018 Commonwealth Games bid.

Parklands was originally zoned by The Queensland Government to be a Health and Knowledge Precinct to contain The Gold Coast University Hospital project, before it was realised that Griffith University and University Hospital project did not require the land.

LNP member for Gaven Dr Alex Douglas, who is supporting the petition, says the critical issue is the loss of a venue for communities who use Parklands.

“I think the aspects are multi-dimensional. The Show Society is losing its site, The Indoor Sports Centre, and The Harness Racing Club is having their whole club closed and no replacement of it,” he said.

“What people don’t know is besides these three main groups there’s literally thousands of groups who use the space.”

Dr Douglas is also concerned about the loss of The Big Day Out festival, which will be moved interstate upon the closure of Parklands.

“For the Gold Coast it is our biggest young-person event every year,” he said.

“It also drives tourism, it basically gets people in the habit of just being able to go to The Gold Coast and we’re going to lose all of that – the state will lose it.”

Contrary to the petition’s suggestions, spokesperson for the Office of the Minister of Infrastructure and Planning Stirling Hinchliffe ensures the development will boost employment and will not leave the Gold Coast Show without a site.

“The redevelopment of the State Government owned Parklands site as a vibrant office, retail and residential precinct could generate a total of up to 6380 jobs and an estimated $550 million per annum,” he said.

“The state government is currently investigating a number of options for an alternative showgrounds site on the Gold Coast. The leading option is at Carrara.”

Spokesperson for Save Parklands Action Group and Gold Coast Show board member Peter Johnston says the State Government has in fact offered this site to the Show Society an alternative, before it was determined unsuitable.

“The Gold Coast Show was offered 12 hectares of the Carrara Floodplain,” he said.

“12 hectares… is around about half the size of those required to conduct the activities currently being done at the Gold Coast Show.

“That tells me 104 years of Gold Coast Show history is now seriously in jeopardy.”

Plan for actionIn addition to losing a venue, the communities based at Parklands are losing patience waiting for a proper answer on the State Government’s plans for the site.

In fear that the people of the Gold Coast have been sold out, Mr Johnston says everybody is being kept in the dark.

“The Government will not tell us why it is necessary for them to rip out this major infrastructure to put a village in for a commonwealth games that is going to last three weeks,” he said.

Mr Johnston says the government has alternative options and he is suspicious the move is about selling state assets.

“Parklands has an estimated value of between $75million and $100 million and it’s our understanding the state government is looking for partners to develop that land and sell it,” he said.

“The only commercial sense it makes in any way we look at it is the fact the state government are looking for funds.”

According to Dr Douglas, the state government owes keeping Parklands to the people of the Gold Coast.

“The reasons the show society agreed to move out was because if the hospital or the university needed the space for the knowledge precinct, and neither of them do,” he said.

“The government has no right to resume the title and they should withdraw.

“It does not belong to them and it is held in deed of trust for the benefit of the community that it serves.”

Despite the tension, Mr Hinchliffe’s spokesperson reiterates that there will eventually be a suitable site for the Gold Coast Show to resume operations.

“The Parklands site is state owned land,” he said.

“In 2007 the Government announced that the Parklands site would be transformed into the Gold Coast Hospital and Knowledge precinct… The Government announced on a number of occasions that as part of this process an alternative site for the Gold Coast Show would be identified.”

Queenslanders can have their say in the debate by signing the e-petition on the Queensland Parliament website.

Even though I am against this Gold Coast 2018 CWG bid, the Gold Coast is actually well suited to host these games. The Gold Coast is a great place to visit for 1 week where you can stay in a hotel and go on tours to Mount Tambourine, Movie World, Dream world, sea world, go up Q1 etc. It is a very tourist orientated place, so is perfect for a games that last for 10 days.

To live in the Gold Coast is another story. It is a very transient place, lots of people visiting for a few days/ months even (on short term contracts). Not much arts/ culture here, gets boring when you live here permanently - at least in Brisbane you have the different building styles and more culture eg. QPAC for theatre etc...

The Gold Coast is about the suburbs - Robina, Main Beach, Broad Beach, Harbour Town. We locals tend to spend our free time in these areas, away from Surfer's Paradise.

Surfer's Paradise = most disgusting street in Australia - FACT.

On Friday and Saturday evenings, the most trashy people from all over Australia (and from abroad) tend to converge on Surfer's Paradise - bogan trash..... They have ruined what was once upon a time a great place (like Byron Bay is at the moment).

You speak to any local from the Gold Coast - he/ she will tell you they practically NEVER go into Surfer's Paradise.

Ratepayers attack Gold Coast Games bid

By Charmaine Kane

Posted Fri Nov 5, 2010 10:01am AEDT

A ratepayers' group wants the Queensland Government and the Gold Coast City Council to justify their pursuit of hosting rights for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

The Gold Coast Ratepayers Association has 200 members and was set up in August, five months after the tourist capital announced it would bid for the Games.

Association co-founder Phillip Smith says countries that host major international sporting events struggle to break even.

"We have huge debt - we don't have any money," he said.

"We have a State Government - it doesn't have any money.

"They are selling off assets to get money and now they embark and set up a bid company to try and procure Games that are largely irrelevant in the greater scheme of things when people can't afford to buy food.

"We're broke - what do these people not understand about this?"

:unsure::o :o

:unsure::o :o

Of course the difference between the Gold Coast and Hambantota is on the Gold Coast not everyone is related to the President, the head of the defence forces, the sports minister etc etc, and you're actually able to voice an opinion contrary to hosting the CGs. In the backward underdeveloped port village that is the GC's only rival to voice a negative opinion might turn you into a non-person, much like those non-existent Tamil refugees :D

Of course the difference between the Gold Coast and Hambantota is on the Gold Coast not everyone is related to the President, the head of the defence forces, the sports minister etc etc

what are saying?? are you talking about the bid team or what?? head of defence is president himself the sport minister is not related president. pls don't post lies and misled the members of this forum.

what a stupid ignorant person find the facts before you post.

and you're actually able to voice an opinion contrary to hosting the CGs. In the backward underdeveloped port village that is the GC's only rival to voice a negative opinion might turn you into a non-person, much like those non-existent Tamil refugees :D

i thought you quoted some opinions against the bid. first time i heard about the thing non existent of Tamil refugees because of any opinions whats your source please give the information. have you ever been nort or east of sri lanka or colombo pls dont comment on the things you dont know reading articles written by people same as you dont make you...

i thought you quoted some opinions against the bid. first time i heard about the thing non existent of Tamil refugees because of any opinions whats your source please give the information. have you ever been nort or east of sri lanka or colombo pls dont comment on the things you dont know reading articles written by people same as you dont make you...

Do us all a favour and upgrade your version of BabelFish from the Imbecile Version...at least JimJones knew how to articulate his ideas and opinions in something that was actually coherent.

And considering your position as the arch Rajapaksa-Mouthpiece here GamesBid I thought it was your own beloved leader who said there was no Tamil refugees and they all loved Sri Lanka. But you wouldn't be doubting the same man who defeated the LTTE in time to make sure that a cricket ground could be named after himself in time for the World Cup now would you?

Edited by eusebius65

• 2 months later...

Well, I suppose the question has to be asked now. Does anyone think the Qld floods is going to impact the GC bid now?

Now, logistically, it shouldn't have any bearing. After all, Brisbane hosted in 1982, just eight years after its previous huge flood disaster of 1974. And by all accounts, the Gold Coast has got off relatively lightly from the floods compared to the rest of Queensland. But I wonder how easy it's going to be to "sell" a GC bid to Queenslanders now, or justify the investment that is going to be required if chosen, when many people are going to se far higher priorities for recovery investment in the State in the months and years ahead.