Will President Obama Be In Copenhagen?

Pablo

Obama should not go to Copenhagen. Health Care Reform is more important to America. This is also is closest America has ever been to getting universal health care. If the US doesn't get universal health care now they never going to get it. These next couple of weeks are the most important ever for the US in terms of health care reform. The US is going to need Obama at home working on the health care reform bill.

It will look really bad for Obama to go the Copenhagen lobbying for the Olympics games, when the most important health care legislation is US history is at its most critical stages. The Republicans would have a field day and they are already gaining strength.

When Obama was elected president one of his major platforms was health care reform, and his promised to deliver health care reform, if he does not get health care reform this will be a devastating loss for Obama, far greater then the 2016 Olympic bid.

He needs to show he is serious about health care reform and that is why I feel he is not going to show up. Michelle Branch is enough representation given the circumstances.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, like the whole package will collapse when he's gone for 3 days? There aren't enough lieutenants at home to hold the fort while he's gone? Then -- and I am for a universal kind of health care reform -- perhaps the plan as it stands to day is a very weak one if it cann ot hold up while the cat is away for 3 days???

Obama should not go to Copenhagen. Health Care Reform is more important to America. This is also is closest America has ever been to getting universal health care. If the US doesn't get universal health care now they never going to get it. These next couple of weeks are the most important ever for the US in terms of health care reform. The US is going to need Obama at home working on the health care reform bill.

It will look really bad for Obama to go the Copenhagen lobbying for the Olympics games, when the most important health care legislation is US history is at its most critical stages. The Republicans would have a field day and they are already gaining strength.

When Obama was elected president one of his major platforms was health care reform, and his promised to deliver health care reform, if he does not get health care reform this will be a devastating loss for Obama, far greater then the 2016 Olympic bid.

He needs to show he is serious about health care reform and that is why I feel he is not going to show up. Michelle Obama is enough representation given the circumstances.

Oh, like the whole package will collapse when he's gone for 3 days? There aren't enough lieutenants at home to hold the fort while he's gone? Then -- and I am for a universal kind of health care reform -- perhaps the plan as it stands to day is a very weak one if it cann ot hold up while the cat is away for 3 days???

baron-pierreIV the debate for health care form is turning out to be very very very bitter. This week are debating and voting on amendments the health care reform bill. The week leading up to the 2016 Olympic decision Obama is going to have to get craft a bill that will make both Republicans and Democrats happy and keep momentum going.

Three days away from Washington would kill any thought of universal health care in the USA, that week leading up the the vote in so important for health care reform.

That week is the most important week for health, its is the week he start to work will both Republicans and Democrats to find common ground. The protest and public anger venting toward Obama over his health care plans, if would be ill advised and bad for Obama to to to Copenhagen even if for one day.

Here is some comments on the Bid in Regards to Obama appearing in Copenhagen by a Chicago Reporter

JAY LEVINE, WBBM-CHANNEL 2

I think Chicago has a strong bid, but I think the outcome largely hinges on whether President Obama shows up in Copenhagen.

Why? One need only recall British Prime Minister Tony Blair's legendary appearance in Singapore, when the 2012 Summer Olympics host city vote was taken.

Paris was the favorite going in to Singapore, but Blair turned it around for London, and the city won.

Rio has enjoyed a surge in popularity in recent days, but the IOC is looking at the romance of Rio, not the reality. When it comes to security challenges alone, Rio is a nightmare.

Some have said President Obama doesn't want to go, because he's afraid the vote won't go Chicago's way. I don't believe that is the case. I think his health insurance concerns are legitimate.

If President Obama finally decides not to go to Copenhagen, I think it's a toss-up as to whether Rio or Chicago will win, with Rio having a slight edge.

Obama if he knew the history of Chicago Failing Twice in the 1950's and the US failing to win 30 separate bids for either winter or summer games would have good instincts to stay away from Copenhagen considering the odds are he would come up empty handed anyways. America has never won while being occupied in a war that US Troops were on the ground in another country . Clearly the US is still Iraq and Afghanistan .The Only US Bid victory for the summer games being Atlanta 1996 had George Bush SR. on the verge of invasion of Iraq in the first Gulf War which was felt to be a coalition and justified war. Detroit 1972 and Los Angeles 1976 probably suffered as much from the United States War in South East Asia . no much Chicago 2016 can do to change the general feeling that the country is the largest imperial power on the planet today. The North Korean and Cuban Vote would surely go to the perceived Front runner Rio 2016 to maybe prevent America from Staging.

Jim jones

So what if the U.S. has several failed bids. So does France, Sweden, Turkey, Austria & Switzerland, to name a few. Does that mean that the IOC will never go to these places again? Not at all.

And it's not really a clear estimation, anyway, of the exaggeration of failed U.S. bids in the past, when at the time, there was NO limit as to how many cities from ONE country could bid for the Games. So that fact alone ballons up those numbers which is hardly an accurate assessment, when there clearly can only be one winner.

Plus, back then, we had an American IOC president for 20 years, so that probably made it difficult in some instances for a U.S. bid to be successful (i.e. we can't give the Americans everything). But we still won Squaw Valley 1960, a candidate that was laughed at in the begining, when Innsbruck was seen as the clear favorite for those Games. So let's really stop with these easy black-&-white comparisons.

So what if the U.S. has several failed bids. So does France, Sweden, Turkey, Austria & Switzerland, to name a few. Does that mean that the IOC will never go to these places again? Not at all.

...not to mention Rio! This is the first time they made the shortlist out of their four bids!

And my native Rio really got in because the IOC wanted to make it look really international with 4 incontinents represented! :lol:

PLUS, there's this other climate confab in Copenhagen, I can't find the exact details...but again, fromt he bits and pieces I have been gleaning, the US seems to be the major holdout -- so maybe it might be bad form for Obama to show up there for this one...but NOT have a ready platform for the Climate summit, which I think is in December. One can't relly find reliable details on that one.

PLUS, there's this other climate confab in Copenhagen, I can't find the exact details...but again, fromt he bits and pieces I have been gleaning, the US seems to be the major holdout -- so maybe it might be bad form for Obama to show up there for this one...but NOT have a ready platform for the Climate summit, which I think is in December. One can't relly find reliable details on that one.

The UN Climate Change Conference is in Copenhagen is 7-18 December:

http://unfccc.int/2860.php

It is starting to get some attention in the Chicago papers - and it is a little confusing now to distinguish a discussion about Obama going to Copenhagen for the IOC and Obama going to Copenhagen for the Climate Change Conference. Although, if there are on-going climate discussions in Copenhagen (it's pretty common to have negotiation sessions in the same city before a big conference), it could provide an additional reason for him to visit in October.

CHItown '16

The UN Climate Change Conference is in Copenhagen is 7-18 December:

http://unfccc.int/2860.php

It is starting to get some attention in the Chicago papers - and it is a little confusing now to distinguish a discussion about Obama going to Copenhagen for the IOC and Obama going to Copenhagen for the Climate Change Conference. Although, if there are on-going climate discussions in Copenhagen (it's pretty common to have negotiation sessions in the same city before a big conference), it could provide an additional reason for him to visit in October.

I think he really wants to go to Oktoberfet in Munich!! :lol:

Actually, in his remarks to the IOC if he is going, he can probably make a slight allusion to the Climate Change confab in C that would kinda mollify the Danish hosts.

Yeah, see they really need me as an adviser at the White House!!

I think Obama is making a major mistake if he goes to Copenhagen. The health care reform bill is at a critical stage next, and there is no guarantees at Chicago will win in he shows up. Rio is still the favorites even if he shows up, and most likely to win the games.

I think Obama is making a major mistake if he goes to Copenhagen. The health care reform bill is at a critical stage next, and there is no guarantees at Chicago will win in he shows up. Rio is still the favorites even if he shows up, and most likely to win the games.

Hardly. For the next two or so weeks the Finance Committees is drudging through over 500 amendments to the bill. Yesterday they got through 4 amendments and they were in session until past 9pm. There is little the President can do, and nothing that he can't do from Copenhagen over the phone. NBC White House correspondent Chuck Todd said the other night that perhaps one of the best things Obama can do is stay away from Washington and let congress get work done without the distractions that the President inevitably causes.

If the bill was going up for voting at the end of September/early October then I would agree that it might be best if he stays. But that is not going to happen. The bill probably wont be ready until November or December.

It doesn't matter. Rio 2016 is still the favorites and expected to win. The only way Rio 2016 loses the bid is if they bomb the final presentations. That is not going to happen and Rio 2016 will once again have the best presentation.

If Rio has an excellent presentation then Rio 2016 is a lock to win.

It doesn't matter. Rio 2016 is still the favorites and expected to win. The only way Rio 2016 loses the bid is if they bomb the final presentations. That is not going to happen and Rio 2016 will once again have the best presentation.

Amazing, what crystal ball have you been looking into?

I agree, Rio is the favorite, but Chicago is not out of the running by any means, and Obama pretty much has to show if Chicago wants to win.

Rio is the favorite on this forum. If you were to look at the bookie websites such as intrade, where people put money where their mouth is, Chicago is the favorite. Also, I believe Intrade predicted London to win 2012, while most people here thought it was going to be London.

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

Chicago was always the favorite for the games but they stumbled. Rio 2016 was the one that kept of plugging away and is now leading.

Two reasons why Rio 2016 will win.

South America has never hosting the Olympic games. The entire continent is behind Rio 2016 bid. This is going the have a major impact in the voting.

Pele The most famous Sports Hero living in the World today. The Greatest football player in the history of the game, and man who is more popular in Europe and Africa then president Obama.

Pele will be in Copenhagen and will have a major impact on delegates from Europe and Africa.

Chicago was always the favorite for the games but they stumbled. Rio 2016 was the one that kept of plugging away and is now leading.

Two reasons why Rio 2016 will win.

South America has never hosting the Olympic games. The entire continent is behind Rio 2016 bid. This is going the have a major impact in the voting.

Pele The most famous Sports Hero living in the World today. The Greatest football player in the history of the game, and man who is more popular in Europe and Africa then President Obama.

Pele will be in Copenhagen and will have a major impact on delegates from Europe and Africa.

Archived