2008 World Figure Skating Championships

The International Skating Union has awarded the 2008 World Figure Skating Championships to the city of Gothenburg in Sweden. Sweden last hosted the event in 1976 which was also held in the same city. It was also mark the return of the event to the Scandinavian region which last hosted it in 1999 in Helsinki, Finland. I'll post further details when more information becomes available.

Good job Sweden!

The International Skating Union has awarded the 2008 World Figure Skating Championships to the city of Gothenburg in Sweden. Sweden last hosted the event in 1976 which was also held in the same city. It was also mark the return of the event to the Scandinavian region which last hosted it in 1999 in Helsinki, Finland. I'll post further details when more information becomes available.

Good job Sweden!

God - Finland is not part of Scandinavia -  Scandinavia geographically is just Norway and Sweden, politically its Norway, Sweden and Denmark, language wise is NSD, culturally is NSD, and historically is NSD

Good job Sweden!

God - Finland is not part of Scandinavia -  Scandinavia geographically is just Norway and Sweden, politically its Norway, Sweden and Denmark, language wise is NSD, culturally is NSD, and historically is NSD

don't you have anything better to do? worry about getting to a good college or getting a good SAT scores? unless you have taken them already. i wrote my response above as my understanding of the artcile (link included), reminds me didn't you made such a big fuss about the Adriatic not being part of the Mediterranean in another thread:

from wikipedia.com: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

> Finland, the Faroe Islands, and Iceland are still sometimes counted as parts of Scandinavia, as they share strong social and historical ties to Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

> In a British mindset, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are usually included, often with the addition of Iceland, Finland, and sometimes even Greenland.

> The terms Fennoscandia and Fenno-Scandinavia are used either to include the Scandinavian peninsula, the Kola peninsula, Karelia and Finland under the same term alluding to the Fennoscandian Shield, or they may be used in a more cultural sense, more or less as a synonym for the Nordic countries, to signify the historically close contact between Finnic, Sami and Scandinavian peoples and cultures.

which were the other bid cities?

rumor has it that Gothenburg defeated London and Helsinki. Most likely North America will host 2009 which will most likely be the USA's turn, since they host usually every 5 to 6 years after a previous US hosting similar to Canada which at present is every 5 years

Look at this though

1990 Halifax, 1992 Oakland

1996 Edmonton, 1998 Minneapolis

2001 Vancouver, 2003 Washington D.C.

Good job Sweden!

don't you have anything better to do? worry about getting to a good college or getting a good SAT scores? unless you have taken them already. i wrote my response above as my understanding of the artcile (link included), reminds me didn't you made such a big fuss about the Adriatic not being part of the Mediterranean in another thread:

from wikipedia.com: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

> Finland, the Faroe Islands, and Iceland are still sometimes counted as parts of Scandinavia, as they share strong social and historical ties to Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

> In a British mindset, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are usually included, often with the addition of Iceland, Finland, and sometimes even Greenland.

> The terms Fennoscandia and Fenno-Scandinavia are used either to include the Scandinavian peninsula, the Kola peninsula, Karelia and Finland under the same term alluding to the Fennoscandian Shield, or they may be used in a more cultural sense, more or less as a synonym for the Nordic countries, to signify the historically close contact between Finnic, Sami and Scandinavian peoples and cultures.

i am in Canada so i don't have to right the SATs and barring an incident i will be at the University of Toronto(the best university in Canada) next year

which were the other bid cities?

rumor has it that Gothenburg defeated London and Helsinki. Most likely North America will host 2009 which will most likely be the USA's turn, since they host usually every 5 to 6 years after a previous US hosting similar to Canada which at present is every 5 years

Look at this though

1990 Halifax, 1992 Oakland

1996 Edmonton, 1998 Minneapolis

2001 Vancouver, 2003 Washington D.C.

The event is hosted each year? :oo:  :help:

Yes, Mikel.  THe World Figure Skating Championships are held each year since 1895.  ANd even during the Winter Olympic Games years, ISU still holds the WFSC a month AFTER the Winter Games -- usually in a continent OTHER than where the Winter Games were.

@Faster:  look at the flag of Finland.  My iBook won't let me do a quick paste.  But do you notice anything similar with the flags of Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland?  

I rest my case.

Yes, Mikel.  THe World Figure Skating Championships are held each year since 1895.  ANd even during the Winter Olympic Games years, ISU still holds the WFSC a month AFTER the Winter Games -- usually in a continent OTHER than where the Winter Games were.

@Faster:  look at the flag of Finland.  My iBook won't let me do a quick paste.  But do you notice anything similar with the flags of Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland?  

I rest my case.

Ok, wich city will host or has hosted the 2005 edition? :oops:

I do believe thay Moscow hosted this year's World Figure Skating Championships. In fact, part of the program when the IOC members visited Moscow in the winter included attendance at the Championships if I am not mistaken.

@Faster: How is Finland NOT part of Scandanvia?

I do believe thay Moscow hosted this year's World Figure Skating Championships. In fact, part of the program when the IOC members visited Moscow in the winter included attendance at the Championships if I am not mistaken.

@Faster: How is Finland NOT part of Scandanvia?

Finland is Scandinavia, of course.

Some people incorrectly don't consider Finland a "part" of Scandinavia because the Finnish language is closer to Hungarian -- both of which trace their roots to Mongolian -- than it is to Swedish.  But in every other respect, the Finns are part of the Scandinavian countries INCLUDING Iceland.

the current Scandinavian definition is Sweden, Demark and Norway this goes back to an alliance between Norway, Sweden, and Denmark in the 1500s. Finland ethnicly is quite different from th Norwegians, Swedes or Danes, langisticly its extremely different, geographically only Finnish Lappland is part of Scandinavia.

Scandinavia is the cultural and historic region of the Scandinavian Peninsula and some surrounding areas. The Scandinavian countries are in present day understood as Norway, Sweden and Denmark,
These countries have recognized each other as parts of political and cultural Scandinavia, since the golden days of the nationalist movements in respective countries in the middle of the 19th century CE.

the only reason Finland was every considered part of Scandinavia was it was Swedish controlled for some 200 years

The collective label "Scandinavia" nowadays primarily reflects the linguistic similarity, but also the strong historical and social ties between these countries despite their current political independence
These alternative meanings are sometimes considered incorrect in some parts of Scandinavia, and occasionally some people may take offence at such usage

i go by what many Finns and Norwegians i have known have told me - Finland is not apart of Scandinavia.

i go by what many Finns and Norwegians i have known have told me - Finland is not apart of Scandinavia.

Im go by the many Swedes and Finns in my family _ Finland IS a part (didn't we talk about this laast year, Faster, and I do remember you finally did post something at one stage saying Finland was a part).

The whole thing is, the term Scandinavia is a very loose term that can mean so many different things cartographically, culturally, historically etc etc.

Generally though, in everyday thinking by most non-Nordic people, Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland. It may not be official but it's not an official term and that's just what most people consider it to be so.

I rest my case.

Baron: WFSC for men's has been staged since 1896 and women's since 1906 except during years of wars.

Here's the flag of both Sweden and Finland

Sweden

sweden.gif

Finland

large_flag_of_finland.gif

I'll add Norway, Denmark and Iceland.

Norway

large_flag_of_norway.gif

Denmark

large_flag_of_denmark.gif

Iceland

large_flag_of_iceland.gif

Brisbane for unknown reasons was stripped of the 2000 World Figure Skating Championships which was moved to Nice, France on the last minute.

I think it was whichever Australian network's contract to act as host broadcaster.  For some reason, they didn't want to live up to the terms of the contract that the ISU wanted.  So the ISU got mad and moved it from Brisbane to Nice.

Re Brisbane - I thought it was the 2001 titles and it was because of Brisbane hosting the Goodwill Games that year and the ISU didn't want Brisbane to host two major skating events in the one year.

no 2001 was in Vancouver - 1999 was in Nice

Japan is unlikely since they just hosted in Nagano in 2002 or 2003 - so my guess for 2007 would be China or somewhere in Europe

Moscow hosted the 2005 edition. However, if I'm right, Russia last hosted this event in the beginning of the 20TH. CENTURY. Talk about waiting for a long time.

no 2001 was in Vancouver - 1999 was in Nice

Japan is unlikely since they just hosted in Nagano in 2002 or 2003 - so my guess for 2007 would be China or somewhere in Europe

2000 was in Nice, after the Brisbane fiasco caused by some "people." Nagano hosted 2002, after SLC 2002. Tokyo has the 2007 edition.

It will be interesting on which city will get the 2009 edition now. The last one before Vancouver 2010 because the world championships for that year occurs one month AFTER the Winter Olympics.

Spain deserves 2009! :P Madrid, Bilbao or Málaga can host in 2009 (I say this cities because I'm tired of Barcelona, Valencia and Seville).

Archived