Email President Obama

Athensfan

Greetings, friends.

It can't hurt to share our thoughts with the White House regarding President Obama's attendance in Copenhagen.

You can reach him at the following website: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

In case you're interested in sharing your thoughts with the rest of us, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Here is what I wrote:

Dear Mr. President,

I write concerning the 121st Session of the International Olympic Committee in Copenhagen next month.

One of many reasons you earned voters' support last November was the people's belief that you are the best man to rebuild relationships between the United States and the rest of the world. Whether or not Chicago ultimately wins the right to host the 2016 Olympic Games, your presence in Copenhagen would be a meaningful gesture to the international community -- a unique opportunity to demonstrate openness, sensitivity and grace. Without question, you are the best person to express the United States' desire to honor and celebrate the rest of the world in 2016.

The Olympics have made an indelible impression on my life. I was six years old when the Games came to my hometown of Los Angeles in 1984. Our family was given a package of tickets which we never would have been able to afford on our own. I was privileged to see Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, Greg Lougainis and Mary Lou Retton compete. What I remember most, however, was the incredibly warm atmosphere that bathed the city that summer -- my father trading pins with foreigners in Exposition Park, the ease with which conversations sprang up between strangers from halfway around the globe. Even at that young age, I thought to myself, "This is the world at its very best."

In 2004, I was living in the UK while pursuing graduate study. Once again, thanks to a generous gift, I was able to attend the Olympics -- this time in Athens. I fell in love with Greece and her people. Those Games were truly one of the highlights of my life. However, my second Olympic experience came with an interesting twist: I couldn't escape difficult questions posed by people from all over the world. Greeks, Brazilians, Italians and British citizens quizzed me about U.S. foreign policy, the invasion of Iraq and whether or not I planned on voting for President Bush in the fall election. Although the ambiance in Athens was decidedly buoyant and friendly, I struggled to navigate my way through such delicate conversations.

We certainly need health care reform. However, as you have acknowledged many times, we also need to continue rebuilding the international good will that has been compromised in recent years. Of course, our country's best interests must be paramount. If you feel those interests would be jeopardized in any way by a trip to Copenhagen, then you must focus on the tasks before you in Washington. I have full confidence in you to weigh the relevant considerations and make a wise decision.

Sincerely,

Well, it looks like the Senate wrapped up a major part of its work on the bill.

Oh, make your email like 2 or 3 sentences only. Athensfan, a long one like yours will lose their attention. I made mine 3 sentences. To the point. They'd know what we would be talking about. So just short, sweet and to the point. They get thousands of emails a day!!

Update: this is the last one I just sent:

"Re this staying away from the IOC-Copenhagen meet due to the Health Care b/s, it's really absolute nonsense. If Queen Elizabeth (God forbid) were to pass away suddenly in 48 hours, of course Obama will have to drop everything and go there for at least 48 hours for services. How different of a disruption is that compared to showing the flag in Copenhagen?

So the staying-at-home-due to Health Care excuse is absolutely lame. So the whole initiative will collapse while he's gone? The whole excuse thing is hare-brained!!"

I don't particularly expect a response from the White House. I don't think any of us should. But somebody will see it.

Also, regarding the length of the email, the most important information is at the beginning. If somebody gets tired of reading and hits "delete" they will at least have gotten the main idea.

I still encourage Chicago supporters to email.

Archived