European Games

We have the Asian Games, the Panamerican Games, the African Games...

What about European Games ?

When could they be held ? The year before or after the OG ?

Why doesn't they exist actually ?

Discussed very heavily over a period of years in the mid sixties.

See http://www.aafla.org/Olympic....06f.pdf

"The International Federations asked that the IOC take steps in order to avoid as much as possible the proliferation of Regional Games which overload the programmes of athletes as well as those of officials. For this reason, the assembly of IFS decided not to give the European Games its support."

nitsansh is correct, the idea eventually became the European Youth Olympic Days, (now EYO Festival)

There's no European Games, true, but there are the European Athletics Championships, which are very popular, and obviously there is the European Football Championship...

There's no European Games, true, but there are the European Athletics Championships, which are very popular, and obviously there is the European Football Championship...

Thats true, but there are also Asian Athletic Championships, Asian Cup, etc and they still have the Asian Summer Games, the East Asia Summer Games and even the West Asia Summer Games and coming soon are the Indoor Asian Summer Games.  Other continents host their own Athletics championships and football tournies and still host their own continental Championships.  I think a European Games are an awesome idea.  And it would definately help cities in their fight to host Olympics, and for cities who can't get the Olympics.  I know Lisbon won't host the Olympics for a long time, but a chance to host a European Games would give them something to build on.  Other cities that continue to lose like Paris and Belgrade could prove their right to host by hosting these games.  Anyways, I think a European Games is an awesome idea and im shocked that it isn't something already going on or not yet planned anyways.

Wouldn't it be great if ALL international federations could get together and agree a coordinated four-year cycle of events? Surely a single European Games, incorporating the athletics, swimming, badminton, hockey, squash etc, would ultimately be less expensive to run. Economies of scale - if all these separate championships were to be held in the same city during the same short two-week period, the overall expense to organisers would be greatly reduced.

A European Games would be something akin to the Commonwealth Games - held in cities which may not be big enough to consider the Olympics, but which have enough facilities for a wonderful festival of sport. As far as the UK goes, I can see somewhere like Manchester easily putting on a great European Games.

I would think even-numbered years between the Summer Olympics would be the logical date choice, i.e. following the lead of the European Athletics Championships.

Yeah that would be awesome.  And instead of using some of those Championships as qualifiers for the Olympics they could use the European Games, Asian Games, Pan American Games, etc as Olympic Qualifiers.

An Oceania Games would have to be made also, there are South Pacific Games but Australia and New Zealand dont compete I believe.

Wouldn't it be great if ALL international federations could get together and agree a coordinated four-year cycle of events? Surely a single European Games, incorporating the athletics, swimming, badminton, hockey, squash etc, would ultimately be less expensive to run. Economies of scale - if all these separate championships were to be held in the same city during the same short two-week period, the overall expense to organisers would be greatly reduced.

A European Games would be something akin to the Commonwealth Games - held in cities which may not be big enough to consider the Olympics, but which have enough facilities for a wonderful festival of sport. As far as the UK goes, I can see somewhere like Manchester easily putting on a great European Games.

I would think even-numbered years between the Summer Olympics would be the logical date choice, i.e. following the lead of the European Athletics Championships.

Wouldn't it be great if ALL international federations could get together and agree a coordinated four-year cycle of events?

This idea could be fun and interesting for logistical and financial questions... But i am not sure it will be interesting for Sport Federation and hosting cities.

To develop their sport, federation need exposure (TV, Press) and all the sport at the same moment, could have bad impact on minor sport (badminton, Hockey, ...).

And to make animation in cities during all the year, it is interesting that european championship are in differents dates at differents places.

So i will prefer to keep all this european champ (but we should make some modification to the planning)... and found a new date every 4 years for European Games, to realise a big continental sport event.

Another reflexion ?

May be could IOC coordinate all this continental games. They will take place the year before the Olympic Games and could be selection for the Summer Olympic Games ?

Archived