Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cormiermax

Quebec City 2018, 2022 Is It Possible?

Dose Quebec city have any chance of winning either 2018 or 2022? Is it too close to Vancouver? And can they overcome the challenges that plagued there 2002 bid.

It is too close to Vancouver. Past is prologue. And the past tells us that it will be about 20 years before Canada gets another crack at the Winter Olympics. The past also tells us that the USA will get another Winter Games before Canada gets another chance. And that Toronto is likely to put in another bid sometime in the 2020s. So timing wise, Quebec City is off until the 2030s.

If that.

The downhill mountain will be a weak spot for a Quebec City bid. While Le Massif is gaining in experience and prominence, if faced with stiffer competition from bigger, better mountains, it will hurt the bid. The Laurentides are hills when compared to the monsterous Alps, Rockies and Scandanavian Mountains. But if they are competing against smaller ranges like found in Pyeongchang, New England or Sarajevo or lesser developed resorts, there is a better chance.

Toronto 2020 :P

That would ironic becasue it would be 10 years since(unless they bid and win for the 2018 Olympics) Canada hosted the Olympics

Toronto 2020 :P

Im pretty sure the next summer games in North AMerica wil be in the USA.

Winter games wise, PyeongChang is a heavy hitter going into 2018, it was the runner up for 2010 and 2014. 2022 will probably be in Germany, the Germans dominate the winter games so much that they are probably the favorites in 2022. After 2022 in Germany its anyones guess, but not Canada.

Asia is due for a Winters come 2018:

Summers - 1964, 1988, 2008

Winter - 1972, 1998

So I think 2018 will be there again.

2022 - US; MOST specially if Chicago goes not get 2016.

I'm willing to hazard a guess that Quebec and Canada would have to wait until at least the 2040's the way newer host countries have been more routinely folded into the mix.

Dose Quebec city have any chance of winning either 2018 or 2022? Is it too close to Vancouver? And can they overcome the challenges that plagued there 2002 bid.

2018 is unlikely from two standpoints.

A. the winter games have never returned to a country in any less time then 12 years and that was a rescue of the 1976 games which Denver abandoned. Innsbruck hosted in 1964 and 1976 but even with

Denver throwing the games back to the IOC. The IOC tried to have British Columbia take the games as they had bid and lost to Denver in 1970. BC refused as the Government had changed to an NDP government that did not view the olympics favorably feeling they are an elitest event .

B. the Canadian Olympic Association is working to securing the last of the 2008 -2018 sports festival slots for Federal Government Funding with the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games Bid.

Toronto wins that bid and the door is closed via a new policy brought in by the Harper government in early 2008. Only Two Multi sport intenational festivals would have Federal Government funding

between 2008 and 2018. Vancouver 2010 is included in that quota.

I think even 2022 is unlikely for Quebec City. You will probably see Asia host in 2018 followed by a return to Europe in 2022 and then 2026 is realistic for Canada thou the US would be due. Typically you are looking at 20 to 30 years for returns of Games back to either the US or Canada. 2022 would be about the due date for the US as the pattern goes . 1960 , 1980 , 2002.

Canada 1988 ,2010 2030 or 2034 maybe ? A summer Games might come before that .

jim jones

I'm willing to hazard a guess that Quebec and Canada would have to wait until at least the 2040's the way newer host countries have been more routinely folded into the mix.

Ah I don;t think so because really you are not getting that many new host countries in the winter games like you do with the summer.

yes you finally have Russia , Japan has done it Twice. China and or South Korea I can see but you also have some that drop off the radar like Yugoslavia , Norway , Switzerland . The General one that wil continue to repeat are France. Italy , Germany , Canada , the US and Japan . If South Korea or China Host in 2018 I can see then putting the Olympics to bed for a long while. It achieves the coming out parties they want for a generation or two.

It is not like the summer Games where you could have a gulf state , India , Brazil , South Africa , Turkey or a host of others that have not staged the summer games. Most of the places having summer games ambitions to host for the first time will never turn to the winter games .

Jim jones

Germany hasn't hosted the Winter Games since 1936 and is one of the top all time winter medalling countries. And they are bidding for the 2018 Games with a highly competent and competitive bid.

The pickings for a Winter Olympics in North America is actually quite sparse. The biggest mountains are in the West with only a few in New York, New England, and Quebec with the height and snow to pull of the job. But the West doesn't have as many cities to pick from and those in the East are mostly small resort towns.

In Canada, that really only leaves Winter Olympic hopes for Calgary, Vancouver, Quebec, maybe Victoria and perhaps some mid-sized cities in the BC Interior (which would pale in comparison to the size of Vancouver 2010). The rest will just be too flat or too short.

I just don't think Quebec City would be a viable candidate for reasons already mentioned. 2018 and 2022 are most likely too soon after Vancouver and I expect Toronto will make a run at a Summer Games before another Winter Games is pursued. When Canada does finally decide to seek a third Winter Olympics, I see Calgary as the likely candidate. Outside of Calgary and Vancouver I just don't see a Canadian city that has the downhill mountains to compete.

Don't be so sure, Quebec has a lot to offer, and besides Calgary has already hosted, it can host after Quebec has hosted at least once. If the bid includes the development of a suitable downhill slope for men's downhill within the mountains near Le Massif, then it would boost the bid, especially if all this is prepared before or underway when bidding starts.

But as for too soon? Well Quebec could bid as a test run, with a bit of luck it will make a secured bid in 4 years time, though they would have to watch out for Calgary, Calgary could simply note that rotation should happen and that Quebec should not get another chance in bidding because it failed in it's last bid.

Well, one of the arguments for a future Quebec Winter Olympics, domestically, is that it would provide facilities and training centres in Eastern Canada, as only Western cities have hosted the Winter Olympics.