The Most Important Question...

Kenadian

Which one will have the better logo?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will have the better logo?

• Chicago
    • Madrid
    • Rio de Janeiro
    • Tokyo
    • Doesn't matter, will just be a "20-16" in lime green

However, I do not like the font Madrid has used - I do not understand why the 0 is crossed in 2016.

I don't think it has any meaning at all. It's just the typeface that they used. It does look really nice in the multimedia materials, along with that rich colour palette. It has a more dynamic look and feel to it compared with the typefaces used by the other three cities.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, the one winner will create the ONLY best logo.

Somewhat true, London's logo is lame

In less than a month, one of these four cities will walk off with the Games of the XXXI Olympiad and then in 2-3 years, they will introduce us to a brand new logo. So, of the four cities bidding for the 2016, which one will create the best one?

I thought they would keep their current one

What do you design?

Handbags, dresses, shoes.....

Just teasin! :lol:

Hmmmm... Do you have the full Sky Cable TV there in Scotland???

If yes, I can tell you something about my jobs...

If not... Sorry...

I dislike Madrid's logo the most. It is simply too childish for me. I think it is more appropriate for the youth Olympics.

I agree. I remember the Madrid bid logo for 2012 was the worse too. They don't have a good taste for logos. Te New York logo was ugly too.

The best bid logos I can find were PRAGUE 2016 and BEIJING 2008.

That funny little leaf? I didn't like that at all, and in fact I redesigned their logo some months ago in our last logo competition on this site :P

Back to the poll, I think it's likely Chicago will produce the slickest, but Rio's might be more interesting and fun. Who knows in all honesty?

That funny little leaf? I didn't like that at all, and in fact I redesigned their logo some months ago in our last logo competition on this site :P

Back to the poll, I think it's likely Chicago will produce the slickest, but Rio's might be more interesting and fun. Who knows in all honesty?

where can i see the results of that logo competition. I love logos.

Of these, I'd say...

Chicago would have the most traditional/classic emblem. American Olympics are more pomp than they are avant-garde.

Rio would have the most festive. That's just the city's brand.

Tokyo would also be a bit traditional, but with a bit of quirkiness or cleverness hidden within.

Madrid would be avant-garde and perhaps misunderstood for the first bit. Of the 2012 bid logos, I thought Madrid's was the most "brand-like" - simple and memorable. And for 2016 it is simply the worst with an amateur feel and an almost negative connotation (Stop! Don't go there! Talk to the hand! And more things from 1999).

I don't think we'll see one like london 20-12. Only london can get away with that.

Rio is by far the least original of all. Wasn't it stolen from a tourism brochure from the 1990s? I wouldn't be surprised.

Chicago's is original, I like the star theme although it's a bit like L.A's '84. Tokyo's is fine and Madrid's....I think it's original and different as well. It may look "childish" but again I find Rio's butterfly appeal repeating. Barcelona '92 set a new precedent for logos (eg. Sydney's was very very similar to Barcelona's in too may aspects- which by any means doesn't imply it wasn't beautiful) as has London 2012, so I would imagine logos from now on would be more similar to London's. I see Madrid's more in line with London's: a logo that can be filled in with corporate colours and easily identifiable. Chicago and Tokyo are ok, and I'm sure if hosting the Olympics would come up with something really good. Rio's on the other hand looks too obvious and does not transmit anything. It could might well be a logo from a natural reserve.

Rio is by far the least original of all. Wasn't it stolen from a tourism brochure from the 1990s? I wouldn't be surprised.

Well, the image of the Sugar Loaf Mountain over the Botafogo Bay has been in all logos of all Rio's bids. The PanAm Games logo had it, the 2004 bid had it to. I don't recall the 2012.

It's a beautiful sight and representative of the city, since it was the place where the city was founded. I think that's why it gives you a sense of deja-vu.

I like the Rio's logo. It's shows some symbolic places in the city and use the brazilian flag colours. It's not original as the one from the bid for 2004. In his race we have no good another ones. The Tokyo's one remind me the London 2012 logo. Chigaco get the same boring and repetitive american star and Madrid as the guy said: represent the "adios amigos" lol I prefer the Madrid 2012's one.

One of the best bid logos in a long time in my opinion.

Agreed!! New York's was clever and classy. But then again, it didn't have a star -- a common theme in American logos. Maybe that's why it didn't win. All the previous "shortlist" American logos with stars won!

We'll see the hearts theme for Rio; if it'll break the jinx.

One of the best bid logos in a long time in my opinion.

NY 2012 was a great logo! Clever idea, nice message, nice usage of colors! Loved it!

Love american logos... But Chicago's one is only Ok... It's beautiful, but not the best ever...

Well, the image of the Sugar Loaf Mountain over the Botafogo Bay has been in all logos of all Rio's bids. The PanAm Games logo had it, the 2004 bid had it to. I don't recall the 2012.

It's a beautiful sight and representative of the city, since it was the place where the city was founded. I think that's why it gives you a sense of deja-vu.

That's my point. It's as if Paris just stuffed the Eiffel tower in it's 2008 or 2012 logo....I'm not saying it's not beautiful, but it's not a breakthrough by any means. However, look at it from the positive side: conservative voters will look forward to it!

Has anyone given any thought to the idea that ISTANBUL's constantly failing bid may be due to the recycling of their bid logo for 4 consecutive bids?

Istanbul's bid has other problems, but I was wondering if that may be a face that teh IOC just glances at the cover and sees that they put forth the same bid they had seen 3 tmes already.

Has anyone given any thought to the idea that ISTANBUL's constantly failing bid may be due to the recycling of their bid logo for 4 consecutive bids?

Istanbul's bid has other problems, but I was wondering if that may be a face that teh IOC just glances at the cover and sees that they put forth the same bid they had seen 3 tmes already.

You know Augie, for once you're probably not far off the truth.

Well, to be honest, I kinda like the sugar loaf images they use for our bids. At least, I think it's more appropriate then slapping a nice pic of Jesus on the cover of our bidbooks. Christ the Redeener and the cable car are by far the most easily recongnizable sights in Rio. I think it makes sense. I wouldn't complain if they get creative someday and make something with the Lapa Arches or the Copacabana beachwalk pattern. I would be nice for a change. =]

I've never been interested in logos, but after reading this thread, I decided to check some of them out. Here are the two brutally terrible logos I've seen:

2012_logo_white_385x450.jpg

Abuja_2014_Commonwealth_Games_bid.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's off topic, but I also would like to show you my least favorite mascots ever, the gay guys from Euro 2008:

euro-2008-trix-flix.jpg

I actually love the current Rio logo. Easily the best Rio has produced in all of these bids (even better than the Rio 2007 logo). The idea of using the sugar loaf mountain and its reflex on the water to form a heart was great. I think it is the best logo in this race.

Archived