United States (hosted) World Cup Locations.

Augie4040

Nice to know I am not the only one that things Denver is in if the US gets it.

I think he is delusional to think Detroit will get a spot over Philadelphia, Denver, Charlotte, Phoenix or another California venue.

Well I couldn't think of any good venues in the mid-west, and I def not going give a city, Las Vegas a venue. I have to admit Phoenix and Denver slipped my mind. Besides, I gave New England, 3 venues (NY/NJ, Boston and D.C) and California, 2 (L.A & San Fransisco) isn't that a lot ?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think FIFA will allow that. You must consider that the WC preparation process involves a bid within the bid. After a country is selected, prospective host cities have to bid for the chance to host and FIFA has the last word in the selection process. It will enforce that host cities are spread out to represent the various regions of the country.

For Brazil 2014, they demanded that the Amazon and Pantanal had host cities, even though Pantanal did not have a single stadium or traditional football clubs. And for the Amazon they chose the city with less football tradition and worse stadium as well. So, they will probably refuse a state to have 2 host cities. In 1994, they only case they accepted was California with San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Well, apparently you didn't read what I wrote, because that's pretty much what I said. I was refuting someone else's list of them having 2 venues in Florida & Texas, by replacing 1 of them in each of those states with other locations in the country that weren't represented on their list. The Rockies & the Southwest are big regions in the U.S. that weren't represented at all at the World Cup in 1994, but this time around it would seem practical (like you were demonstrating in Brazil's case), considering Denver & Phoenix have newer facilities & are big markets, instead of having a double Florida & Texas sites, which agreed, would be too much for one particular region.

Well I couldn't think of any good venues in the mid-west, and I def not going give a city, Las Vegas a venue. I have to admit Phoenix and Denver slipped my mind. Besides, I gave New England, 3 venues (NY/NJ, Boston and D.C) and California, 2 (L.A & San Fransisco) isn't that a lot ?

Well new England includes Rhode Island, Conn., Maine,Vermont, N.Hampshire, and Mass. NY and NJ and New England is onthe east coast but I get ya. In NE Boston can host and I believe Hartford as well, but too close from Boston it's a 1 1/2 hours drive from here to there so Its likely not to be chosen.. NE only 1 host city.

• 1 month later...
time to focus here USA.

Maybe FIFA thinks that way too.

Since they are in some ways one step ahead of the IOC and have already solved the Africa and South America question. They may take advantage of the USOC-IOC affair and get some spotlight, and even new US fans in 2022. :blink:

US just need show that really wants it.

One question. Are there by now arenas/stadiums built specifically for soccer?

Well new England includes Rhode Island, Conn., Maine,Vermont, N.Hampshire, and Mass. NY and NJ and New England is onthe east coast but I get ya. In NE Boston can host and I believe Hartford as well, but too close from Boston it's a 1 1/2 hours drive from here to there so Its likely not to be chosen.. NE only 1 host city.

Boston surely would be in. It's close to Europe, so could be an extra push to attract visitors.

But, more important, it has lots of colonies. In 1994, as was early decided NYC would go to Italy, Argentina and Brazil fought to play in Boston because they had large colonies in the M. Bay Area. Ireland, if classified, would surely play "home", if they could get some games in Boston too.

Maybe FIFA thinks that way too.

Since they are in some ways one step ahead of the IOC and have already solved the Africa and South America question. They may take advantage of the USOC-IOC affair and get some spotlight, and even new US fans in 2022. :blink:

US just need show that really wants it.

One question. Are there by now arenas/stadiums built specifically for soccer?

Yeah, it's gonna be interesting, to say the least, if we get this thing or not. Or if the U.S. will get snubbed for yet another international sporting event.

I know Atlanta's trying to get on the shortlist, and I hope it does. The Sapporo Dome was a domed stadium used in 2002, and Germany also had a domed stadium (with a retractable roof, but still) so the Georgia Dome would be a viable candidate for maybe some of the first round games.

I know Atlanta's trying to get on the shortlist, and I hope it does. The Sapporo Dome was a domed stadium used in 2002, and Germany also had a domed stadium (with a retractable roof, but still) so the Georgia Dome would be a viable candidate for maybe some of the first round games.

The problem with a domed stadium, at least during the 1994 WC, was about the grass. They tried to make it grows in the Pontiac Silverdome, but it didn't work out and the field became a mess.

But I believe the japanese must have figured out a way to solve this problem. Did they?

But I believe the japanese must have figured out a way to solve this problem. Did they?

Unlike other indoor stadiums, or any other such all weather facilities for that matter, the Sapporo Dome actually has two completely separate playing surfaces for baseball and soccer. For baseball, a field of artificial turf is used including ascending and descending pitcher's mound and bases. However, for soccer matches, the artificial turf is rolled up and an 85 meter by 120 meter natural grass soccer pitch is slowly rolled in from outside the stadium.

The process requires some coordination as to move in the pitch, a bank of seats on one side of the stadium need to be retracted and the outdoor wall must be opened. Once inside, the pitch and the seats, including the previously retracted ones, are all rotated to create a proper configuration for watching a soccer match. The whole process takes approximately five hours.

The gigantic natural lawn soccer pitch weighs 8,300 tonnes. It slowly moves into the stadium at a speed of 4 meters per minute using 34 wheels but it also hovers 7.5 centimeters above the ground using air pressure. By storing the pitch outside, the facility is able to better maintain its natural grass.

http://www.yamasa.org/japan/english/destin...pporo_dome.html

The problem with a domed stadium, at least during the 1994 WC, was about the grass. They tried to make it grows in the Pontiac Silverdome, but it didn't work out and the field became a mess.

There are two ways of having natural grass in a dome. One and most obvious is to have a retractable roof and open it whenever there is a sunny day. The other is to have a pitch that can be rolled over a rail out of the stadium. In Holland there are both cases: Amsterdam Arena has a retractable roof and Herenveen (not sure exactly) has a pitch which slides out to get some sun.

There are two ways of having natural grass in a dome. One and most obvious is to have a retractable roof and open it whenever there is a sunny day. The other is to have a pitch that can be rolled over a rail out of the stadium. In Holland there are both cases: Amsterdam Arena has a retractable roof and Herenveen (not sure exactly) has a pitch which slides out to get some sun.

The stadium in Glendale/Phoenix, AZ has a similar system to Sapporo's which is why even though it is in the middle of nowhere it has a good chance because it is domed, A/C'ed and can offer natural turf.

About Atlanta, a local Georgia company, Green Tech ITM, of Roswell, GA, put in the new grass of the Athens and Beijing stadia after their OCs' so maybe Green TechITM can again work its magic to get the GeorgiaDome in the USA-WC-bid line-up.

ROUND ROBIN:

1. Cowboys Stadium/ Dallas

2. Soldier Field/ Chicago

3. Memorial Collesium/ L.A.

4. Jets-Giants/ NYC

5. University of Phoenix

6. Quest Field/ Seattle

7. FedEx Field/ Baltimore

8. Landshark/Miami

9. Reliant Stadium/ Houston

10. Arrowhead/ Kansas City

11. Invesco Field/ Denver

12. Alamodome/ San Antonio

13. Heinz Field/ Pittsburgh

14. Uni of Texas/ Austin

15. Ford Field/ Detroit

16. Qualcom/ San Diego

Round of Sixteen:

4. Jets-Giants/ NYC

5. University of Phoenix

6. Quest Field/ Seattle

7. FedEx Field/ Baltimore

8. Landshark/Miami

Quarter Finals:

4. Jets-Giants/ NYC

Semi-Final:

Final:

Third Place Final:

1. Soldier Field/ Chicago

Agree with most of what is said already about this list - particularly all those stadiums getting 16,quarters, semi and finals in a row!

What about Boston, DC, San Fran, Atlanta, Indianapolis?

Check out this earlier thread: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?...0&start=170

It covers a lot of the stuff here. I don't know why new posters can't check back a page or 2 to start a new Thread which is already being covered pretty well just a few weeks back?

London2012 (Tom), I replied to you in email. Never heard back from you...so I assume you've lost interest. My sked over the holidays is going to be really tight.

Dallas ain't hosting no final (semi finals, yes), no matter how grandoise that new Cowboy's stadium is. The final would be either New York or Los Angeles, & especially if L.A. gets their new stadium underway, they'll surely be a candidate for the final. The finals have always traditionally been in the premier cities of the host countries. No reason why that should be any different in the next U.S. W.C.

Dallas ain't hosting no final (semi finals, yes), no matter how grandoise that new Cowboy's stadium is. The final would be either New York or Los Angeles, & especially if L.A. gets their new stadium underway, they'll surely be a candidate for the final. The finals have always traditionally been in the premier cities of the host countries. No reason why that should be any different in the next U.S. W.C.

Agreed.

The U.S's two biggest and most important cities are NYC and LA; i'd be very surprised if any final were outside of those two...and even if it were you're looking at major second tier cities like Chicago, San Francisco and Miami. To the international community, these are the hallmark cities of the US and the ones they want to be looking at on their TV's or travelling to with their team.

From my perspective, D.C should would also be a consideration simply because of its attraction for international visitors (memorials, museums, libraries, history etc.) and its global importance.

Anything outside those handful of cities would be quite ridiculous for the final and even the semi-finals.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GlobeTrotter

Nicole Kidman is supporting australian bid and is using her actress charm to convince FIFA to chose Australia for WC.

I would want to know which actors and stars the US bid board could engage for charm offensive toward FIFA.

I am thinking of John Travolta, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, Salma Hayek, Oprah Winfrey or others.

US bid board should engage also ambassabords for the bid.

Nicole Kidman is supporting australian bid and is using her actress charm to convince FIFA to chose Australia for WC.

I would want to know which actors and stars the US bid board could engage for charm offensive toward FIFA.

I am thinking of John Travolta, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, Salma Hayek, Oprah Winfrey or others.

I don't think movie stars will be that beneficial. Kidman doesn't add anything to Australia's bid that Harry Kewell or Tim Cahill couldn't already.

But for the record, Will Smith is probably your most well known actor ATM.

• 2 weeks later...

Salma Hayek is Mexican, Halle Berry hasn't done a whole lot since she won her Oscar, Denzel Washington is most known for his acting and not so much his off-screen work/life, Oprah's fervent support didn't help Chicago's Olympic bid. As for Travolta, well.....he's old.

Salma Hayek is Mexican, Halle Berry hasn't done a whole lot since she won her Oscar, Denzel Washington is most known for his acting and not so much his off-screen work/life, Oprah's fervent support didn't help Chicago's Olympic bid. As for Travolta, well.....he's old.

Nah. Those movie stars aren't going to influence the 2018-2022 selection. That tandem selection will be MORE TECHNICAL and less emotional than an IOC election. The 2018 WC winner (probably England) will remove all European and South American bids for 2022...leaving only CONCACAF and the Asian candidates. How will the movie stars' presence influence such a technical decision? :blink:

Plus, remember, the key player that got the US the 1994 World Cup was Henry Kissinger...NOT some Nicole Kidman or Charlize Thieron. They only need the fleshpots for the drawings.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived