United States (hosted) World Cup Locations.

Augie4040

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Is Detroit really that soccer crazed?"

Compared to Nashville, Kansas City & Indianapolis, yeah. At least Detroit is a bigger market than any of those 3, & has a much newer stadium than Kansas City or Nashville.

If more cities are going to be cut, I can easily see Tampa, Kansas City, Nashville, Houston, San Diego & at least 1 Northeast location getting cut.

"Is Detroit really that soccer crazed?"

Compared to Nashville, Kansas City & Indianapolis, yeah. At least Detroit is a bigger market than any of those 3, & has a much newer stadium than Kansas City or Nashville.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't call it ridiculous. I like the spreading out of venues for the most part (one will get cut from Balt/DC i'm sure). A lot of people will get a chance to see World Cup soccer.

How will a lot of people get a chance to see World Cup soocer when much, much bigger markets like Chicago, Detroit & San Francisco got eliminated in favor of extremely much smaller markets like Kansas City, Indianapolis & Nashville? In that sense, it seems ridiculous.

The venues still could've been nicely spread out by not doing what they did. And besides, Nashville, Kansas City & Indianapolis are relatively pretty much right on top of each other anyway. So that's not really all that spread out.

Seriously? It's not that big of a deal. Saying Kansas City and Indianapolis are right on top of each other is pretty funny. Seats will be filled.

There could be some underlying conditions that eliminated the bigger cities anyway. Not EVERY big city has to host matches for various reasons.

Examples from various articles.

“With Chicago, I think there was some Olympic fatigue,” Gulati said, referring to that city’s unsuccessful bid to host the Summer Games in 2016. “And in this group, Soldier Field was one of the smallest stadiums.”

Link

Time will reveal all, of course, and Chicago was by no means the only metropolis wearing a frown on Tuesday. Yet the others fell along more predictable lines. The lack of a suitable facility appears to have doomed the San Francisco Bay Area. The Oakland-Alameda Coliseum isn't the most intimate of venues for watching soccer, and Stanford Stadium's capacity of just over 50,000 (the average of the chosen venues is 78,000) likely undermined the San Francisco effort. As a result, the Bay Area joins Chicago, Detroit and Orlando as 1994 World Cup venues that failed to make the cut. Charlotte, Cleveland, Jacksonville, and St. Louis were also not among the 18 chosen.

Link

Sunil Gulati, the President of the United States Soccer Federation (USSF), claimed that Chicago had not been able to give their bid as much attention of the other 26 cities that were short-listed to host matches because at the time of the selection process they were in the final stages of the campaign to host the 2016 Games.

Link

That is the DUMBEST list I have yet seen. Leaving out SF and Chicago? What r they thinking?? Well to answer my own surprise, I guess they didn't want an exact, carbon copy of 1994.

Obviously, am not too thrilled with this list.

Look at my last post.

It doesn't change the fact that leaving out a major center like Chicago is stupid. I can understand San Francisco since they have no idea how to get a stadium project going. Arrowhead Stadium and LP field are disgraces as venues. Old and ugly. Soldier Field would have been a better option than both of them. The Georgia Dome is also a piece-of-sh!t. And including Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston is just ridiculous.

FIFA is going to laugh themselves silly at Kansas City, other then the couple million that live there and the couple thousand that need to go there for business I doubt any person would wanna be caught dead there.

I love how everyone thinks its US Soccer's fault. You think the city didn't want Chicago as a host city? Blame Mayor Daley.

Pitch Invasion has learned from multiple sources that Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, who led the failed Olympic Games bid and provided only limited support to attempts by the Chicago Fire to build a soccer stadium within city limits (their current home, Toyota Park, lies a couple of blocks outside city limits in the Village of Bridgeview), has done soccer in this city another disservice by putting very little behind the city’s proposal to host World Cup games. The city’s proposal, I’m told, was extremely weak.

Link

And I love your shitting on Kansas City only for some reason. It already has an MLS franchise, and is a growing soccer city. Have you even been there to judge it?

I am not saying I don't understand the reasons behind the choices on a technical grounds but to dismiss Chicago is utter nonsense. Its like England leaving out Manchester or Australia leaving out Melbourne. FIFA will not be impressed.

And of course I have never been to Kansas City, might as well be in a war zone the violence in that city. Same with St. Louis.

And I don't know why you are getting your back up against a wall about this, even with a weak bid Chicago would have and is a better option then Baltimore, Nashville, Tampa, Houston, Indianapolis and Kansas City. Honestly would you rather spend a few days in Chicago or Kansas City? At least Tampa has the beaches and Nashville the music, even Baltimore has history but honestly Kansas City. Its not even the first city in its own podunk state.

And of course I have never been to Kansas City

That's all I needed to know. Such arrogance.

Chicago missed the boat. It's not a right to host. If the city officials wanted to be a host city, they would have been chosen. If their absence detracts from the bid overall, then so be it, but don't blame US Soccer for picking what it felt were better, more enthusiastic bids.

And of course I have never been to Kansas City, might as well be in a war zone the violence in that city. Same with St. Louis.

Its not even the first city in its own podunk state.

Kansas City is a fantastic town!

p.s. the VAST majority in the US don't give a rats ass about professional SOCCER. We'll go along with the frenzy because we are into all sports, but there isn't much passion.

p.s. the VAST majority in the US don't give a rats ass about professional SOCCER. We'll go along with the frenzy because we are into all sports, but there isn't much passion.

Then why bid for this thing? If the vast majority of people here in the U.S. share that kind of "enthusiasm" about soccer, that won't bode too well for the U.S. bid.

Then why bid for this thing? If the vast majority of people here in the U.S. share that kind of "enthusiasm" about soccer, that won't bode too well for the U.S. bid.

Eh, I don't particularly buy that. It won't ever be as popular as the big 4, but soccer is steadily growing. I think that's the biggest thing going against the bid.

FIFA wouldn't have to worry about selling tickets, though.

There's money to be made.......and hopes of expanding the market.

But, ask 20 people here about the World Cup, they won't even know what it is.

Ask them about FOOTBALL, and everyone will talk about a sport you weren't referring to.

It just has very very little prestige here.

There's money to be made.......and hopes of expanding the market.

But, ask 20 people here about the World Cup, they won't even know what it is.

Ask them about FOOTBALL, and everyone will talk about a sport you weren't referring to.

It just has very very little prestige here.

Disagree. The box office records for 1994 speak for themselves. The big question for the 2018/22 bid is...will this mix of cities give the same results that 1994 produced? Probably so. I think it can be marketed as another 'once-in-a lifetime' event and w/ 32 teams, you will still get great results.

BTW...are the new cities with roofs/partial roofs? That's the only markedly major, different criterion the new lists boasts vs. the '94 venues that I can think of in dropping such major markets as the SF Bay Area and Chicago.

It doesn't change the fact that leaving out a major center like Chicago is stupid. I can understand San Francisco since they have no idea how to get a stadium project going. Arrowhead Stadium and LP field are disgraces as venues. Old and ugly. Soldier Field would have been a better option than both of them. The Georgia Dome is also a piece-of-sh!t. And including Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston is just ridiculous.

FIFA is going to laugh themselves silly at Kansas City, other then the couple million that live there and the couple thousand that need to go there for business I doubt any person would wanna be caught dead there.

what's ridiculous about Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston? that they're all in the Northeast? If they have the best proposal they deserved to be there. also this was done in close door. we don't know what each city offered. Also just an fyi, Arrowhead Stadium was just recently renovated.

Archived