Turkey

Greece

GROUP H:

South Korea

North Korea

Australia

New Zealand[/b]

That's why it's NEVER going to happen.

U're missing the entire point of a World Cp.

Augie, are you watching your meds??

GROUP A:

England

France

Germany

Italy

This would be the most famous round robin in the history of WC. It may almost be worth trying, usually these teams only meet in the finals, but to put them in the same group you would have like 9 world class matches before the round of 16. It would be brutal and legendary.

GROUP A:

England

France

Germany

Italy

This would be the most famous round robin in the history of WC. It may almost be worth trying, usually these teams only meet in the finals, but to put them in the same group you would have like 9 world class matches before the round of 16. It would be brutal and legendary.

You do realise, don't you Augie, that the WC pools are seeded so that top teams are placed as evenly as possible acrtoss different groups and to also ensure any group has a mix of teams from different regions? I mean, you might now and then get two rivals within the same groiup, but it's an random exception rather than a rule or formula to follow.

I mean, it might be nice to dream of such pools, but again they're never gonna happen.

Anyway, isn't it better that such teams meet later in a tournament, at the business end, when there is more interest and more at stake on the results?

You do realise, don't you Augie, that the WC pools are seeded so that top teams are placed as evenly as possible acrtoss different groups and to also ensure any group has a mix of teams from different regions? I mean, you might now and then get two rivals within the same groiup, but it's an random exception rather than a rule or formula to follow.

I mean, it might be nice to dream of such pools, but again they're never gonna happen.

Anyway, isn't it better that such teams meet later in a tournament, at the business end, when there is more interest and more at stake on the results?

I am well aware of how the groups are seeded. I would just liek to see the drama. I just love imagining the ferocity of these 4 Ultra-heavyweights fighting it out tooth and nail just to get out of the preliminary matches. A team could go to the semis and get knocked out and still consider that a good run, but for France and Germany to not make it out of the round Robin, thats headlines right there.

i know the better teams get put in goups with lesser teams, I dont think thats fair. I think they should be matched equally. Its a great matchup, it will never happen but if it did, the streets would be running red with hooligan blood.

Puppy & Everyone else,

I'm not a tool. I promise I'm a very cool and smart guy, I just have an over active imagination and get excited easily(especially at 3am after 3 glasses of Black Label), hence this thread.

But come one, lets be serious here. Youall telling me that you never gave any idea to writing your own world cup groupings you thought would be cool to see?

Im not talking an all WWII Semi-finals

ENGLAND vs. GERMANY

or invision a few matches to let select nations vent some long held frustrations

TURKEY vs. GREECE

N. KOREA vs. S. KOREA

USA vs. MEXICO

SOUTH AFRICA vs. ENGLAND

RUSSIA vs. UKRAINE

INDIA vs. PAKISTAN( you telling me this wouldnt be an exciting semi-final match??)

I mean the whole point of this thread is to jot down a match you would think would have a lot of emotional resonance.

but the ENGLAND, GERMANY, FRANCE, ITALY group would be awesome to see because of how hardcore the matches would be(the most legendary of any WC group EVER)

But i swear im not a tool, its just a thread o air some ideas, if you think its childish just move on.

Hugs???

I think the issues a few of us posters have is that if you use the search fuinction you will find alot of what you are posting has been discussed previously. Instead of a whole new thread (apart from this one - I dont recall a fantasy grouping thread - so kudos on the new angle) just post in an existing one. We dont mind old threads being bumped here if someone has something new to add. Coming on here and seeing 20 new topics all covering old territory would annoy anyone as I am sure you would agree.

We get a lot of very eager new posters on here from time to time and this occurs alot - so from one of the earliest GB/TSG members (9 plus years now) just calm down a bit and pace yourself.

I am well aware of how the groups are seeded. I would just liek to see the drama. I just love imagining the ferocity of these 4 Ultra-heavyweights fighting it out tooth and nail just to get out of the preliminary matches. A team could go to the semis and get knocked out and still consider that a good run, but for France and Germany to not make it out of the round Robin, thats headlines right there.

i know the better teams get put in goups with lesser teams, I dont think thats fair. I think they should be matched equally. Its a great matchup, it will never happen but if it did, the streets would be running red with hooligan blood.

You are not aware of how groups are seeded. If you were you would have noted so in the start of the topic. You would like to see the drama? Well it'll never happen.

The better teams don't get put in groups with the lesser teams, at least not all the time. The whole purpose of FIFA's way of WC seeding is to ensure that there is no more than 3 of any country from the same continental group.

And what's with the better teams and the lesser teams anyways? The fact that a nation reaches the WC proves that it's at least something, sure they may have no chance in hell of winning the thing but they're still better than some better teams out there that didn't make it.

Yet again you should just give up, this dream setup is just silly, it will never happen, and the closest one gets to it is when such nations are put together in the WC qualifying stage or UEFA championship, but do people get angered and violent because of it? Most likely not everyone, they just put their confidence that their team will make it through.

Besides, how would you fill a stadium with people to watch South Korea vs North Korea, Iran vs Israel, etc? People want to see the big ones: Brazil, France, England, Argentina, Germany, Italy and the home team. That's why they are group heads. Besides, group head matches are typically held at major stadia (the ones big enough to hold the opening match, semi-finals and finals). Just look at the last WC schedules and you will see.

Besides, how would you fill a stadium with people to watch South Korea vs North Korea, Iran vs Israel, etc? People want to see the big ones: Brazil, France, England, Argentina, Germany, Italy and the home team. That's why they are group heads. Besides, group head matches are typically held at major stadia (the ones big enough to hold the opening match, semi-finals and finals). Just look at the last WC schedules and you will see.

That's why Augie is on here and NOT with the Organizing COmmittees. (Sorry, Augie, I know it's fantasy matches for you...but see, we have SEPARATE Fantasy competitions and the senior members get to start those.) ;)

I would pay to see Iran vs. Israel or N. Korea vs. S. Korea :rolleyes:

Seriously, tough, the only group that could really be f. up is group A, since the seeded team in that group is South Africa. That means that it would be concievable to have, for example, a South Africa, Bahrain, Ireland and Greece group (assuming all those teams make it trough).

Actually, group A could end up one of the most under-stacked group since that Japan-Belgium-Russia-Some other small team group from the '02 world cup...

I would pay to see Iran vs. Israel or N. Korea vs. S. Korea :rolleyes:

Seriously, tough, the only group that could really be f. up is group A, since the seeded team in that group is South Africa. That means that it would be concievable to have, for example, a South Africa, Bahrain, Ireland and Greece group (assuming all those teams make it trough).

Actually, group A could end up one of the most under-stacked group since that Japan-Belgium-Russia-Some other small team group from the '02 world cup...

So we have one, now there are only 39.999 missing...

Regarding the group above, it has the WC host which is attractive as I have mentioned. SK vs NK and Iran vs Israel would still be empty.

So we have one, now there are only 39.999 missing...

Regarding the group above, it has the WC host which is attractive as I have mentioned. SK vs NK and Iran vs Israel would still be empty.

No, I am sure a ton of Koreans will go...and as for Iran v. Israel, oh, you will get several thousand supporters of those 2 nations as well. But those are VERY CONFRONTATIONAL matches...that's NOT the point of a WC.

The WC are sold in 2 models: follow your team or regular tickets.

The follow your team approach makes sure that, for instance, a South Korean be able to watch all SK group matches and all the matches from its draw after the round of 16, if the team fail to qualify they follow the 1st place of the group. Those tickets are distributed for the National Federations who usually distribute them to Travel Agencies and Tour Operators responsible for managing WC tour packages including accommodation and transport to the various host cities. If a Federation fails to sell out its follow the team tickets they can resell it as single tickets to get the money.

The regular tickets are distributed in the country hosting the WC. Those tickets can be bought in packages (e.g. all games for a given city) or individually. Then tend to be distributed within the hosting country and in neighbouring countries.

I have no doubt that SK vs NK will sell out SK follow your team tickets. But what about the NK part? And what about the locals? Are they really going to spend money on such a lame ticket or wait for a more prestigious match to go? Those are the typical matches in a WC that do not sell out. In Brazilian 2nd Division we can watch matches of better quality than that, for a much better price!

Archived