Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenadian

Canada Summe Games

Canada Summer Games

i thought i would post this topic

i usually don't care about the Canada summer games, but as one of my friends is playing in the basketball tournement i thought i would pay attention a bit.

Ontario destroys the reast of the country at this event, with BC, Alberta, and Quebec trialing.

do your countries have similar events for the youth of your country to compete in an event like this?

Of course Ontario "destroys" the rest of the country.  1/3rd of Canada's population lives in Ontario.

Anyway, the 2005 Summer Games start today so I wish the people of Regina much success with the Games.

logo.gif

Yeah. It is usually an Ontario/Quebec affair, when it comes to this kind of event in the country.

Do other provinces host their own youth games?  I know Alberta does, my sister competed in the Alberta Winter Games last year in Strathcona..... teams are divided between regions.  Its pretty neat.

In Mexico we have the National Olympiad, that will change its name, beggining next year.  It has been held for the last 10 years, initially as the Child and Youth Olympics, celebrated in two separate cities.  But since 2001, also it features an Elite category (for athletes over 18) and this year the National Paralympics take place in the same venue, that is split between four or five neighboring states.

As for the results, Jalisco has dominated for 6 years in a row, with Nuevo Leon, Mexico State and Sonora trying to steal the honour position.

Australia doesnt have a national olympics as such, but rather several different sporting meets amoung state sporting commissions. Largley WAIS and the VIS...Last few years the cycling and athletics have been getting really heated during competition. Still. competition between states isnt very much talked about. Rather competing as a nation!

aaronaugi1, these games are for the Youth of Canada, not many of them get to compete in major competitions so this is as big as it gets.  Its not exactly pegging each Province/Territory against eachother its the promotion of sports in Canada.

Its a brilliant idea and gives the kids a little view into what the Olympics could be..... if anything these games build a bigger drive for the athletes to train and focus on the Olympic Games.

Geez. What a surprise. Ontario and Quebec first and second respectively, with BC third so far.

I always thought very highly of the Canada Games program.  I grew up in New Brunswick when Saint John hosted the 1985 Summer Games - it co-incided with the two year bi-centennial celebrations of the founding of the province in 1784 and the incorporation of Saint John in 1785.  It had a huge impact on the city that can seen even today.  A small track stadium was constructed at the University, the Canada Games Aquatic Centre was built on the waterfront, the Market Square waterfront complex was completely redeveloped and the Festival by the Sea cultural program was begun.

Also the Canada Games encourage sport in the country.  It really isn't about provinces competing against provinces, it is about developing sporting programs.  Not all become elite athletes, but some do.  And the spirit at the Canada Games is one of comraderie and sportsmanship.

There are some other regional Games in Canada.  I believe Quebec has something like that (not 100% sure).  BC certainly does (John Furlong of VANOC used to be their director).  And in the Maritimes there is the Jeux d'Acadie (I was on the bid team for one of those about 10 years ago).

The USA also has the State Games of America.

sga.gif

I always thought very highly of the Canada Games program.  I grew up in New Brunswick when Saint John hosted the 1985 Summer Games - it co-incided with the two year bi-centennial celebrations of the founding of the province in 1784 and the incorporation of Saint John in 1785.  It had a huge impact on the city that can seen even today.  A small track stadium was constructed at the University, the Canada Games Aquatic Centre was built on the waterfront, the Market Square waterfront complex was completely redeveloped and the Festival by the Sea cultural program was begun.

Also the Canada Games encourage sport in the country.  It really isn't about provinces competing against provinces, it is about developing sporting programs.  Not all become elite athletes, but some do.  And the spirit at the Canada Games is one of comraderie and sportsmanship.

There are some other regional Games in Canada.  I believe Quebec has something like that (not 100% sure).  BC certainly does (John Furlong of VANOC used to be their director).  And in the Maritimes there is the Jeux d'Acadie (I was on the bid team for one of those about 10 years ago).

The USA also has the State Games of America.

sga.gif

I can assume that it is the same thing for the Special Olympians, too.

The Special Olympics are organized on a local basis through national and international bodies.

But they always seem to use the same ugly cauldron.

cwg_torchlighting.jpg

Oh, well. Talk about being re-useable here.