Honolulu 2028

Augie4040

If Chicago looses 2016. The next American city will probably be well tread areas NY or LA. To get an exciting American Bid going with an aim to win(Seriously Detroit was our nominee like 4 times..yuck) Honolulu might just do the ticket. The name Hawaii evokes sentiments of Paradise and excitement. Though there are more pros than cons, I just wanted to name a few.

PROS:

1) god knows they have the hotel capacity.

2) great weather

3) great vistas

4) super friendly hosts

5) equadistance between Oceana, Asia, North & South America.

6) there has never been a tropical olympics.

there are just a few problems that might be pretty big hastles.

CONS:

1) replace Aloha Stadium with a Estadio Internacional Monterrey grade stadium(looks like a conch shell).

2) build an intricate elevated maglev trainsystem

3) replace outtated University of Hawaii Venues with Olympic grade facilities

4) imminent domain a lot of land for the Olympic park. Though building on university owned lots would drastically reduce the amount of private land needed.

5) there is a bad and obvious homeless problem in Honolulu.

Honolulu would be a juggernaut of a bid. I say 2028 because in Hawaii any construction r civil works takes ages and they would probably need unil 2021 to get things straight. If Chicago looses in Oct 2009, the USOC & the Hawaii legislature should start talks in Summer 2010.

Thoughts????

I read the previous(2007) thread on Honolulu and it was sparse and no one said anything worthwhile.

This new thread is to discuss the feasability of a Honolulu games.

I said this previously, but I think its main drawback is public transportation, but its pluses are to neumerous to mention.

Hawaiians are tire of tourists, but remember the economic crisis of Sept 2001 when no one was flying and they lost millions upon millions due to the drastic slump in tourism. They understand that now.

An Olympics would be a prestegious tourist attraction, not just the sand and suft that tourist come for now

The proximity to 4 continents would enable many nations to come back to Hawaii and use its venues for development and competitions.

Hawaiians always b*tch and moan over traffic, but you put in a system of monorails and you could easily cut congestion by 40%.

By far Hawaii has the best hotel capacity of any potential host city.

The land around Aloha stadium is PRIME for development. And Honolulu being smaller than Chicago or LA would mean that all venues would be easily accessable from nearly ALL of the city. The city size allows for a compact games, the laws demand an enviromentaly responsible and sustainable games, and the flair and history of Hawaii ensure a spectacular Olympics.

Folks around the world may not be biting at the chomp for another ATLANTAesque games, but the entire world would totally LOVE spending 2 weeks in Hawaii for the worlds biggest sporting event.

I'm sorry. Honolulu?

If Chicago loses, Chicago should bid again. It is hands down the best U.S. candidate.

Does repeat bidding annoy the IOC, after awhile doesn't it seem like the boy who doesnt understand that the girl doesnt want to go out with him despite his constant pleading?

Honolulu is a fresh city for the IOC's eyes. Its a capital City, a beautiful city rich with tradition, and its used to handling tons of visitors.

so why wouldnt the IOC be keen on seeing a bid from it?

Honolulu-hosting is fanciful but only if the mainland cities roll over and play dead. Augie, do you know the cost of living in Honolulu? And when are they going to have the Opening Ceremony -- 2 in the PM? Wrong time zone.

Ain't gonna happen in a long while. It could go for a Youth Games.

I'll take Youth Games, that would be a good barometer to see how well the city would handle it.

I hate how time zones are such a deal breaker. But Sydney, Nagano, Beijing, and Athens were far away as well, but Im not sure of the actual time difference.

2pm or not the opening ceremony would be awesome, Volcanoes, canoes, hakkas, Capt. Cook being kiled via interpretive dance, the pearl harbor 1941 segment will be interesting, expecially the reactions from the Japanese deligation.

I'll take Youth Games, that would be a good barometer to see how well the city would handle it.

I hate how time zones are such a deal breaker. But Sydney, Nagano, Beijing, and Athens were far away as well, but Im not sure of the actual time difference.

2pm or not the opening ceremony would be awesome, Volcanoes, canoes, hakkas, Capt. Cook being kiled via interpretive dance, the pearl harbor 1941 segment will be interesting, expecially the reactions from the Japanese deligation.

Yea the opening ceremony would be an awesome one

Does repeat bidding annoy the IOC, after awhile doesn't it seem like the boy who doesnt understand that the girl doesnt want to go out with him despite his constant pleading?

No. Where did you get that idea from? On the contrary, there are very few cities that have won on their first attempt.

Salt Lake City, Lillehammer, Beijing, Athens, Mexico City, Montreal, Los Angeles, all had multiple bids before they won.

And Paris going in for the 2012 race with their 3rd (2nd consecutive) bid, was seen as the favorite for those Games.

Rio's 2016 run is their 3rd attempt in the last 12 years & it looks like it just might pay off time time around.

And Pyeongchang is going for their 3rd consecutive run for 2018, & surely they're gonna be seen as a big contender for those Games, too.

No. Where did you get that idea from? On the contrary, there are very few cities that have won on their first attempt.

Salt Lake City, Lillehammer, Beijing, Athens, Mexico City, Montreal, Los Angeles, all had multiple bids before they won.

And Paris going in for the 2012 race with their 3rd (2nd consecutive) bid, was seen as the favorite for those Games.

Rio's 2016 run is their 3rd attempt in the last 12 years & it looks like it just might pay off time time around.

And Pyeongchang is going for their 3rd consecutive run for 2018, & surely they're gonna be seen as a big contender for those Games, too.

I always thought the 3rd time was unlucky rather like lucky. Jaca, Istanbul, Sofia & Paris all failed on their 3rd try. On the other hand, the UK and Australia was lucky on their 3rd consecutive bids of different cities. (Birmingham, Manchester, London) (Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney)

Well again, Rio might get 3rd time lucky this time around. And Pyeongchang's 3rd run is surely going to be a strong contender for 2018. And if Chicago misses out on 2016, maybe the USOC should go the way of the U.K. & Australia by bidding a 3rd time with a different city. I'm sure Los Angeles would be right there at the USOC's doorstep like a panting dog if Chicago 2016 is not successful.

Regarding Honolulu, besides the time zone and public transportation issues, there's the issue of the stadiums needed for the prelims of the soccer tournament. Some what have to be located in the continental U.S. and even just California is a lengthy plane trip. The idea of Youth Olympics would be feasible and yes the backdrop for an opening ceremony would be excellent.

He means that some of the soccer matches would have to be located on the U.S. mainland, since Hawaii wouldn't have all the necessary stadiums to do the job. Other than Honolulu, where on the other islands would they have a need for big stadiums like that, besides none? Honolulu is not practical for many, many reasons. It's not going to happen.

He means that some of the soccer matches would have to be located on the U.S. mainland, since Hawaii wouldn't have all the necessary stadiums to do the job. Other than Honolulu, where on the other islands would they have a need for big stadiums like that, besides none? Honolulu is not practical for many, many reasons. It's not going to happen.

I thought of that, there are many West Coast Cities Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, Phoenix that all have non-stop service to Honolulu.

but multiple island stadiums would be nice, the locals would demand that they be downsizable(london 2012 stadium) so they could go from 10K to 1K and use them for high school football(US), Soccer, and field hockey. But I see no reason why Aiea, Poʻipū, Hilo, Lihue, and Wailuku cant have a 10K capacity stadium each, and if the locals elect, downsize it to whatever scale they desire.

I thought of that, there are many West Coast Cities Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, Phoenix that all have non-stop service to Honolulu.

but multiple island stadiums would be nice, the locals would demand that they be downsizable(london 2012 stadium) so they could go from 10K to 1K and use them for high school football(US), Soccer, and field hockey. But I see no reason why Aiea, Poʻipū, Hilo, Lihue, and Wailuku cant have a 10K capacity stadium each, and if the locals elect, downsize it to whatever scale they desire.

Problem there is 10,000 would be far too small for Olympic soccer.

Problem there is 10,000 would be far too small for Olympic soccer.

i wasnt sure of the minimum capacity for soccer, but west coast or direct flight cities would work. I know minniapolis has a direct flight to Honolulu. That would be weird to see, all these tropical pattern HONOLULU 2028 banners outside the H.H. Metrodome.

Honolulu will NEVER make it as a viable Olympic bid because most Olympic bids always start off by showing how much of a population is within 50 mi, 100 mi, 500 mi from the epicenter...to show that it is easily accessible to a larger population. What will Honolulu show? Accessible to 2.5 million people, 15 million whales, 20 million dolphins and 25 million barracudas within a range of 5,000 miles? :blink:

Pass.

Honolulu will NEVER make it as a viable Olympic bid because most Olympic bids always start off by showing how much of a population is within 50 mi, 100 mi, 500 mi from the epicenter...to show that it is easily accessible to a larger population. What will Honolulu show? Accessible to 2.5 million people, 15 million whales, 20 million dolphins and 25 million barracudas within a range of 5,000 miles? :blink:

Pass.

I agree, being an island does have its disadvantages, but congestion will be neutral considering no one will be bringing a car from of island, or even less with a monorail(maglev) system.

Im just hypotehesizing a very exotic and beautiful games. and Oahu is constantly hosting large amounts of tourists, only for 2 weeks most will be there to experience the games.

Despite being an island it is(in a certain respect) accessable, its a hub for every Pacific Nation's airlines.

Honolulu is expensive but the cost of living is MUCH less than Moscow or Tokyo, 2 cities always eyeing a games. And Tokyo isnt accessable to anyone toher than Japaneese, Koreans, or Chineese(of far eastern Russians..if any live over there).

They should take it slow and try a Pan Am or Youth Olympics and see if it works out.

Oahu is constantly hosting large amounts of tourists, only for 2 weeks most will be there to experience the games.

Despite being an island it is(in a certain respect) accessable, its a hub for every Pacific Nation's airlines.

This is partially true except for the "Olympic syndrome":

- The Org Committee will block off some 10,000 rooms for the "Oly" family; then lock in rates for the other 30,000+ for visitors.

- Regular vacationers will stay away from those 2 weeks for fear of crowds and higher prices.

- There will always be a smaller dedicated crowd that will go to an Olympics but the regular carriers will also JACK UP their fares for those preimum 2 weeks.

- The other will be legacy: what will you do with 20 new stadia?

So for a "supposed" X-roads like Hawaii, I think an Olympics would be more of a bother for them...a disruption of their normal 'vacation' destination status...than a plum.

Archived