Austin 2019

Augie4040

As Baron said, Augie, San Antonio's already tried lately.

Honestly, though, the Pan-Ams are probably a good fit and a reachable goal for a city like Austin.

Olympics, though? If or when Texas ever tried for a games, surely Houston, or maybe Dallas, would be the only possible potential claimants.

Even then - Houston in the summer? I've been. The heat and humidity is brutal! Something in common with Dubai.

Yea I agree Houston over austin! Reliant Stadium!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Honestly - while I think Austin would be a good place to hold the Pan Am Games - Houston or Dallas/Ft Worth would be the best options in TX for a Pan-Am bid in my opinion. Houston has actually considered bidding for the Pan Am Games in the past but decided to try for the Olympics instead and in my opinion it is certainly the most international of all the Texas cities.

^ Why? Rio had it in the bag from what I remember - plus unlike San Antonio, Houston actually had a somewhat decent shot at the Olympics in terms of the technical aspect (Yes, I am well aware that Houston is not as well known internationally as Paris, Berlin, and Tokyo). But I do agree that Houston has a better shot at winning the Pan Am Games over the Olympics due to the number of Alpha cities consistently bidding.

• 2 weeks later...
well, one had history -- the other chutzpah. Of course, there's Madrid saying the plains of Castile are bearable in the summer. Please...

Barcelona one would think was probably pretty hot as well as Los Angeles in July and August . Atlanta I think won with two things , Candidates opposing them that gave the IOc limited options and Juan Antonio Samaranch signing a Huge Deal with Coca Cola at the world headquarters for that longest of olympic sponsors in Atlanta Georgia. What did Manchester , Melbourne or Toronto bring to the table ? A Molson Canadian sponsorship? Fosters or Guinness ?

The MED Sea area could be as hot as a Houston really. Rome is another place you would probably have to ask about fo comparison.

Jim jones

Archived