Austin 2019

Augie4040

1) Texas has a HUGE sport culture

4) A good games(ala RIO '07) could be a precursor to an Olympic Bid.

5) Solid infrastructure already in place

Now you just have to convince the city fathers to bid.

2) Austin is the most cultural city in Texas and south west.

Is that saying a lot.

It'll have to line up behind Tulsa, Minneapolis and Birmingham, Alabama.

1) Texas has a HUGE sport culture

2) Austin is the most cultural city in Texas and south west.

3) Plenty of nice open land for venues

5) Solid infrastructure already in place

well, what happened to San Antonio in the last two rounds?? I mean Austin is mostly a college and administrative town...

As Baron said, Augie, San Antonio's already tried lately.

Honestly, though, the Pan-Ams are probably a good fit and a reachable goal for a city like Austin.

Olympics, though? If or when Texas ever tried for a games, surely Houston, or maybe Dallas, would be the only possible potential claimants.

Even then - Houston in the summer? I've been. The heat and humidity is brutal! Something in common with Dubai.

well, one had history -- the other chutzpah. Of course, there's Madrid saying the plains of Castile are bearable in the summer. Please...

Austin has the culture and fresh face that would be a big draw. It has the sports culture and it's the capital of the the biggest US state. And the IOC loves capitals. It's warm, nature surrounds the city, the cycling thru the hill country would be legendary and the triathalon from lake Austin to the Capitol would be amazing.

Austin has the culture and fresh face that would be a big draw. It has the sports culture and it's the capital of the the biggest US state. And the IOC loves capitals. It's warm, nature surrounds the city, the cycling thru the hill country would be legendary and the triathalon from lake Austin to the Capitol would be amazing.

Isn't Alaska bigger than Texas ? Besides, the IOC is not responsible for awarding the Pan-Ams, it is the PASO that awards the Pan-Ams.

Isn't Alaska bigger than Texas ? Besides, the IOC is not responsible for awarding the Pan-Ams, it is the PASO that awards the Pan-Ams.

Yes, Alaska is more than 2x the size of Texas. There was even a plan once to split Alaska into 2, one slighlty larger than the other, just to push Texas down to 3rd largest state in terms of area. I guess the 2 Alaskas would've been called Uttar Alaska and Bake Alaska. :lol:

Funny thing was, I had a discussion with somebody the other day about this. A Pan Am Games would be feasible for Austin with most of the events centered on the campus of the University of Texas which has some of the top sports facilities in the country. The biggest problem I could see with a Pan Am Games was the same issue that really hurt San Antonio's bid for the 2007 Games is transportation. Traffic congestion in Austin during any major event is an absolute nightmare as I found out two years ago when I traveled to UT for a football game between the Longhorns and the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Don't think Austin could handle an Olympics though for reasons obviously stated. The Pan Ams are a much more likely scenario or perhaps even a Youth Olympics if the U.S. ever shows interest.

Biggest by area: Alaska

Biggest by population: California

Biggest by economy: California

As Baron said, Augie, San Antonio's already tried lately.

Honestly, though, the Pan-Ams are probably a good fit and a reachable goal for a city like Austin.

Olympics, though? If or when Texas ever tried for a games, surely Houston, or maybe Dallas, would be the only possible potential claimants.

Even then - Houston in the summer? I've been. The heat and humidity is brutal! Something in common with Dubai.

The Heat might be brutal in the Summer in Houston but for that reason Houston has the most domes or retractable roofs for a single city in the world . Astrodome, Minute Maid Stadium , Reliant Stadium .

Home of the Dome it should be called.

Jim jones

Problem here is people having this scale creep for the event is much like what the Commonwealth Games has had since 1998. No American Network buys TV rights for the Pan Ams while the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Bought the 2003 world wide rights for 30 million US. Rio 2007 is to the Pan Ams what Kuala Lumpar was to the Commonwealth Games and excessive games staging that has made the games hard to scale back . San Antonio's problem would also stem from the fact that Brazil last staged the Pan Ams in San Paulo way back in 1963 . North America by the time the 2007 vote came would have hosted in 1967, 1987 and 1999 if you don't include Mexico in the North America Quota.

Before 2007 it was Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and Winnipeg, Manitoba as the typical size of city for the games. San Antonio's other problem for 2007 was probably as much to do with Winnipeg Hosting in 1999 and that there is a general rotation that goes on. Before Winnipeg Representing North America you had Mar Del Plata Argentina Hosting . From the beginning the pattern has generally been South America, The Caribbean or Central America followed by North America.

The Games has gone more often to South America then North America via bid elections probably because the interest is greater in the Southern Americas. The US has not been elected to host in a bid election since the 1950's when Cleveland was elected for 1959 and Chicago had to step in to host as Cleveland abandoned the games. Indianapolis 1987 was a rescue games for Paso much like LA rescued the Summer Games on two occasions. Santiago Chile abandoned the 1987 games and Queto

A Texas City like Austin would be very reasonable to stage the games as would any US city of size.

Winnipeg, Santo Domingo or Mar Del Plata are certainly not any more able then Austin in regards to transportation .

Jim jones

I agree with pretty much what has been said on here.

I think that other than facelifts for all the existing UT Venues, all Austin needs(not just for games, but in general) is an intricate city wide system of elevated mag-lev trains. Once thats in place anything is possible for Austin.

Also, are PAN-AM & OLYMPIC games able to be hosted in late may or early june(Austin is very nice in Late Spring)

If AUSTIN bids and gets:

2017 SUER BOWL

2017 GRAMMY AWARDS

2017 BCS CHAMPIONSHIP

2018 YOUTH OLYMPICS

2019 PAN AM GAMES

2020 DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION

2021 NCAA FINAL FOUR

I think that would provide Austin with a hefty enough resume to ensure a heavy-weight bid for 2028 games(ELECTION in Summer 2021)

This is of course contengient on Chicago loosing 2016.

Lets be honest PARIS is sure to bid and win for 2020. A non-european city will win 2024 (most likely Cape Town) because pressure is high to award to an African Nation, and 2028 is 32 years since ATLANTA & 26 since SALT LAKE

I wonder if the IOC will let them host in June 1st-15th.

Incase you're wondering wether AUSTIN would be a good host. Just imagine SYDNEY with a cowboy culture and 1/4 of the population and full of young. cool people wanting a great show. Yeah, though much smaller I would say Austin is as cool and attractive as Sydney, and those were fun games.

^^^ More noobish remarks. Your forgetting that the French city of Annecy is bidding for the 2018 Winter Olympics, and should they win, that rules out any Parisian bid for at least a 6 years.

IOC? It's under PASO, IOC is involved sure and are the parent organisation, but PASO are the ones who deal with bidders for Pan American Games, not the IOC.

And what does winning the rights to host say the Grammys have to do with a Pan American games or Olympics? Hosting major non sporting events do not help you if you want to host major sporting events.

Just give up already, a Texas city like Austin may get the Pan American Games someday, but is the US really interested in second rate games such as the Pan American games?

Archived