Santiago, Chile Should Bid

A south American WInter games sounds tooo appealing for the IOC to ignore. Plus it would give SA a winter sports infrastructure so that future SA deligations to the winter Olympics might have a better shot at winning medals.

if the vote is between Chile and some obscure hamlet in Austria, my money would be non chile winning the bid.

It's not that appealing. The seasons are out of whack, a mid year Winter Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere isn't necessarily to the IOC's liking. Only city with decent infrastructure and mountains nearby is Santiago, but ideally New Zealand should host first.

Just look at yourself, you say "if the vote is between Chile and some obscure hamlet in Austria, my money would be non chile winning the bid" yet you want Santiago to bid. Not to mention that "obscure" hamlet probably isn't so obscure after all. This is just noobish chatter all over again.

Santiago can theoretically host a grand Olympics, as would NZ, but host a few more Winter based sporting events, improve infrastructure, add venues and then maybe bid. In the 2020's perhaps.

Will the big question is: will NBC, the European networks and a Nipponese one bite and fork out the big bux for a "Winter Games" shown in the middle of summer in the north? I think the networx would lose big time.

The networks MAKE more money per $ invested in the Winters than the Summers because they get HIGHER viewership #s in the real northern winter when hundreds of millions of folks are trapped at home at night vs. summer when people are out doing 'summer' things, on vacation, etc.

1) Chile and New Zealand have no presence within the IOC or within the Winter Sports Community

2) The season is off, the Winter Olympic Games are held in February; the daily average temperature in Santiago de Chile is 13 to 28C. Christchurch is between 12 and 22C. Weather not conducive to winter sport. The sports season for winter sports runs October to April, having the Winter Olympic Games outside of the time frame would be unacceptable to the very traditionalist establishment of the Winter Sports Community.

3) New Zealand and Chile have combined for 1 bronze medal in 73 years of winter sport, they sent a combined 27 athletes to Torino in 2006. New Zealand has secured a spot at Vancouver, Chile has not guaranteed entry.

4) To expect either to produce 23 men and women (without pouching from Canada, USA, Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Germany, Sweden, Finland or Slovakia) would be absurd. And if they did, watching them get beat by double digits would be unacceptable, the stink raised over the thrashings the Italian women received is proof enough of this. And Chile would be very stretched to provide 10 curlers for that competition as well.

5) There is a reason the winter sports are dominated by the north is because the north has a clearly defined winter with snow. You don't get this anywhere but at altitude in the south because the water to land ratio being very high. The weather is not conducive for the Congo or any other nation of the Southern Hemisphere to be anything but a bit player and a pity inclusion. There is a reason only about 80 nations compete at the Winter Olympics and 200+ at the Summer

6) Salzburg is not a hamlet, it is one of the largest cities in Austria and is famous in history for the presence it has had in high European culture. As well, Austria has ruled out any bids in the foreseeable future and are concentrating on hosting the 2012 Youth Winter Olympic Games. If you had been paying attention to the race the bidders that have announced are Munich, Germany, Pyeongchang, Korea Republic, Annecy, France, with Harbin, China likely joining them.

1) Chile and New Zealand have no presence within the IOC or within the Winter Sports Community

2) The season is off, the Winter Olympic Games are held in February; the daily average temperature in Santiago de Chile is 13 to 28C. Christchurch is between 12 and 22C. Weather not conducive to winter sport. The sports season for winter sports runs October to April, having the Winter Olympic Games outside of the time frame would be unacceptable to the very traditionalist establishment of the Winter Sports Community.

3) New Zealand and Chile have combined for 1 bronze medal in 73 years of winter sport, they sent a combined 27 athletes to Torino in 2006. New Zealand has secured a spot at Vancouver, Chile has not guaranteed entry.

4) To expect either to produce 23 men and women (without pouching from Canada, USA, Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Germany, Sweden, Finland or Slovakia) would be absurd. And if they did, watching them get beat by double digits would be unacceptable, the stink raised over the thrashings the Italian women received is proof enough of this. And Chile would be very stretched to provide 10 curlers for that competition as well.

5) There is a reason the winter sports are dominated by the north is because the north has a clearly defined winter with snow. You don't get this anywhere but at altitude in the south because the water to land ratio being very high. The weather is not conducive for the Congo or any other nation of the Southern Hemisphere to be anything but a bit player and a pity inclusion. There is a reason only about 80 nations compete at the Winter Olympics and 200+ at the Summer

6) Salzburg is not a hamlet, it is one of the largest cities in Austria and is famous in history for the presence it has had in high European culture. As well, Austria has ruled out any bids in the foreseeable future and are concentrating on hosting the 2012 Youth Winter Olympic Games. If you had been paying attention to the race the bidders that have announced are Munich, Germany, Pyeongchang, Korea Republic, Annecy, France, with Harbin, China likely joining them.

New Zealand has won a silver medal from the Winter Olympics not a bronze.

Awesome, a Winter Olympics in the European Alps, ****, never saw that before.

Chile sucks because there is no infrastructure to train. You put it in there, you build a winter sports culture. A few of the really good US speedskaters come from Miami Florida, they sure as **** dont have more than 1 season there and look what they can produce when they have the appropriate facilities to train.

I would say it will never happend because of Calendar..... except if someone could demonstrate to me that it is possible to organize the Games between November & April ????

Awesome, a Winter Olympics in the European Alps, ****, never saw that before.

Chile sucks because there is no infrastructure to train. You put it in there, you build a winter sports culture. A few of the really good US speedskaters come from Miami Florida, they sure as **** dont have more than 1 season there and look what they can produce when they have the appropriate facilities to train.

There is no infrastructure to train because there is no interest. Chileans care about tennis and football, nothing else. Germany and France have the infrastructure for ice hockey but because there is little to no interest they suck at the sport. And its hard to build a winter culture when there is no snow for the vast majority of the population and no interest in anything to do with snow or winter sports.

Do you know the common denominator between Joey Cheek, Jennifer Rodriguez and Chad Hendrick? They all started as inline skaters (the former and latter speed skating, the middle was artistic) and switched to ice speed skating because inline is not an Olympic sport nor will be in the foreseeable future. They do it because they want to be in the Olympics, not love of the sport itself.

And there isn't training centers in Florida or North Carolina or Texas. There is in Utah and New York and other northern states. They move to the facilities.

The Winter Olympic Games have very specific requirements, one of those is interest in Winter Sport and participation. Even if it is unwritten.

People would accept winter games in july. Folks might find it really cool and interesting.

How stupid would peopel have to be to not understand that there are different season on different parts of the planet.

Give it to NZ, just try it once in 2022, see how it goes, if its another Sarejevo then Joques Rogge can tell the entire Hemisphere to go FRAK ITSELF.

If it turns out to be a SLAT LAKE; great now Santiago has a chance, and NZ and the SH has Olympic grade facilities to use for the future.(LEGACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Lets play a game, "Just The Tip" see how it feels, see if everyone likes it.

People would accept winter games in july. Folks might find it really cool and interesting.

How stupid would peopel have to be to not understand that there are different season on different parts of the planet.

Give it to NZ, just try it once in 2022, see how it goes, if its another Sarejevo then Joques Rogge can tell the entire Hemisphere to go FRAK ITSELF.

If it turns out to be a SLAT LAKE; great now Santiago has a chance, and NZ and the SH has Olympic grade facilities to use for the future.(LEGACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Lets play a game, "Just The Tip" see how it feels, see if everyone likes it.

No one would be interested in winter sport during the middle of the northern summer, where the sports are most followed. The northern summer is the off-season for the athletes, the ywould have just competed for 6 months and then be preparing for another 6 months starting in October/November of the same year. The extended season would mean an increased risk of injury due to fatigue and over-use, a burn-out effect and sub-par performances. There is also a question of training.

There is no sense giving the winter games to a people that don't want them or care about them. The games are niche to the Europeans, North Americans and the far east Asians. You can't push something on a people that don't want them. Even look at a country that has had reasonable winter sports success in Korea Republic, they have hosted the Curling, Biathlon and Snowboard world championships with almost no attendance because no one was interested. And that is the biggest problem, what's the point of having 2 million tickets when there isn't enough interest for 100,000. It would be another Kuala Limpur 1998, all the pretty venues, no one in the stands to the point where tickets had to be given out free.

And there would be no legacy when no one cares about the sports, therefore the venues wouldn't be used and would be the definition of white elephants.

There is over a dozen countries that have the physical capabilities to host, they all will likely never do so. (Peru, Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, Korea DPR, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Lebanon, Iran, Turkey, Georgia and Armenia) Because they do not have the interest that would warrant the infrastructure to host the games.

People would not accept WOG in July.... that's summer time in most of the countries following the Games !

And athletes would not participate to games in that season.... they almost start their training at this time.....

Well you can't deny the Southern Hemisphere to host at least once in the future of the Winter Olympics. To do so would be just greedy on the part of not only the IOC, but everyone that follows the Winter Olympics.

I am not denying WOG in the the Southern Hemisphere and i will love to see games in New Zealand (one of my most beautiful travel of my life).

BUT, "calendar" is the problem.... When are we able to organize Winter Games in Southern Hemisphere with good snow conditions.... Please, as you are from the Southern Hemisphere, answer !!!!!

I have asked several time this questions since a few month and never had an real answer...

Yeah, right. I don't think NBC is going to gamble $750 million to find out you're wrong!

And would Barbeque sauce and mosquito repellant ads really complement athletes skiing and figure skating? I don't think so. If I were an Antifreeze, wool clothing or Flu remedy company, I certainly wouldn't BUY airtime in a July Winter Olympics. It would be stupid and a total waste of money. Think about that.

The IOC has its calendar full with the incorporation of the YOGs in the program, making it harder for Southern Hemisphere bids to bend the hosting period preference/rule.

IOC president: "Okay, members. Half of you will attend the WOG, half of you will attend the YSOG (*groan*). I'll flip a coin to see which one I'll be attending."

If the IOC granted a permit for a S. Hemisphere Winter Games I believe Santiago would be a good first choice.

Though NBC might have to break the mold to advertise winter games in NH's summer. I believe that Santiagos time zone would atliest allow NBC to air events live at primetime rather than a 9 hr tape delay(NZ). That might be just enough of a carrot to get the old NBC horse to move forward.

and if NBC is squeemush I'm shure FOX would sell its first born to host and air such a groundbreaking games (and an Olympics in general).

FOX would be into that

If the IOC granted a permit for a S. Hemisphere Winter Games I believe Santiago would be a good first choice.

Though NBC might have to break the mold to advertise winter games in NH's summer. I believe that Santiagos time zone would atliest allow NBC to air events live at primetime rather than a 9 hr tape delay(NZ). That might be just enough of a carrot to get the old NBC horse to move forward.

and if NBC is squeemush I'm shure FOX would sell its first born to host and air such a groundbreaking games (and an Olympics in general).

FOX would be into that

Stop....

This is not just an IOC problem but also an IFs one !

They will never change their calendar and allow their athletes to compete in summer !!!!

Nobody is going to put up with Santiago for a while. But, Chile and Argentina for that matter are expanding their winter events programs rather quickly. They even host quite a few cup events in different sports, especially snowboarding which kind of surprises me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I'm probably one of the most interested person here about a possible Chilean bid :P I know that we have most of the infraestructure to do it (accomodation, airport, etc.), maybe we don't have athletes but I don't see this could be a terrible thing (we could be the first host country without a medal, awesome!) and I think that fi we have the Games, most of the people will attend them... just like when the snowboards events happen...

... but I'm not blind, and most of you have said the most important problem: a possible schedule between July and September, just when most of the audience around the world is on summer vacations. Personally, I don't have any problems watching the Winter Olympics with 31°C, but I don't think NBC will test their audience about it. Anyway, I would like a bid, maybe for 2022, just to boost the winter sports and raise the profile of the COCh and the Olympics in the country. And.... maaaybe one day we could have the Winter Olympics here. What about artificial snow and 30°C in January? :P

Archived