Southern Hemisphere Winter Games?

Augie4040

I think a bid from Santiago or Queenstown, NZ would be very interesting.

I think the only thing holding them up would be that games in NZ or Chile would be shown on TV during the Northern Hemispheres summer.

think about the NZ medals: a black velvet necklace with silvery white writing CHRISTCHURCH 2022 with Silver fern embroidered, with a golden Koru shaped medal.

I liked the Salt Lake Medals(my personal all time favorite), but this NZ medal would trump it with sheer badassness.

Anyway, could NZ pull it off?

I'm sure they could get it. I mean if the vote is between Denver, Munich, Sion, & New "F***ING" ZEALAND its an easy choice.

Also the legacy part would be amazing, the only place in the world to practice bobsleigh and alpine skiing durin the northern hemisphere summer. The entire winter sporting world would descend of Christchurch EVERY SUMMER

Hello and welcome to the boards. This topic has certainly be debated on here many times before.

I think it is important for a southern hemisphere country to bid for the games to test the waters on the IOC attitude towards a Southern Hemisphere games.

Also Queenstown hosted the first Winter Games in New Zealand and it was a real success with some top international talent turning out. I think the plan is to host this every second year.

By hosting this event certainly raises winter sport profile in New Zealand and also raises New Zealand profile around the world. I think the hosting of this event is preparing the way for a future bid down the track.

Certainly interesting idea regarding the medal.

I think there will certainly be questions asked regarding the timing of the games which would be held during August which is the off season for the Europeans and the Americans (The strong winter sport nations).

Certainly interesting idea regarding the medal.

I think there will certainly be questions asked regarding the timing of the games which would be held during August which is the off season for the Europeans and the Americans (The strong winter sport nations).

I thought of that. I remember Doha's 2016 bid getting higher marks than Rio but was dropped because they wanted to hold it during the cooler month of October, and the IOC said that was a non starter. Then some Genious at DOha said "SO this means the middle east will NEVER get the Olympics???"

Rogge said something along the line of "we'll look into it at a later date".

Basically Rogge and the IOC see an emerging OSuthern Hemispehre in the sporting World and see the need for the dates to be flexible. It would be a good marketing campaign to show winter games during the boiling USA's Summer. "THIS SUMMER THE HOTTEST PLACE IS ON ICE, (John williams fanfare) THIS JULY THE GAMES OF THE XXV WINTER OLYMPIAD FORM NEW ZEALAND.....ONLY ON NBC"

THE IOC doesnt want to rule out the middle east for summer or the SH for winter games.

I'm guessing youre a KIWI. Im sur eyou may understand how desperate the SH needs good winter training facilities, now imagine South Island being hte Mecca for off season training. NZ would rake in BILLIONS upon BILLIONS from getting usary fees from the USOC who would kill for a summer winter trainign facility.

I thought of that. I remember Doha's 2016 bid getting higher marks than Rio but was dropped because they wanted to hold it during the cooler month of October, and the IOC said that was a non starter. Then some Genious at DOha said "SO this means the middle east will NEVER get the Olympics???"

Rogge said something along the line of "we'll look into it at a later date".

Basically Rogge and the IOC see an emerging OSuthern Hemispehre in the sporting World and see the need for the dates to be flexible. It would be a good marketing campaign to show winter games during the boiling USA's Summer. "THIS SUMMER THE HOTTEST PLACE IS ON ICE, (John williams fanfare) THIS JULY THE GAMES OF THE XXV WINTER OLYMPIAD FORM NEW ZEALAND.....ONLY ON NBC"

THE IOC doesnt want to rule out the middle east for summer or the SH for winter games.

I'm guessing youre a KIWI. Im sur eyou may understand how desperate the SH needs good winter training facilities, now imagine South Island being hte Mecca for off season training. NZ would rake in BILLIONS upon BILLIONS from getting usary fees from the USOC who would kill for a summer winter trainign facility.

Yes I am a Kiwi. I completely agree that it is important for New Zealands performance at the winter games to improve. One way of doing this is to build up the facilities and host events like the new zealand winter games. Although I dont think New Zealand would rake in Billions upon Billions from fees from USOC....

Yes I am a Kiwi. I completely agree that it is important for New Zealands performance at the winter games to improve. One way of doing this is to build up the facilities and host events like the new zealand winter games. Although I dont think New Zealand would rake in Billions upon Billions from fees from USOC....

ha, no, not just usoc

i meant billions form decades of people, tourism, athleates, and hotel rooms and resturants being occupied in the middle of NZ winter b/c of the need for thos efacilities.

and not just teh USOC but all of europe, Australia, and south AMerica all wanting a reservation on the south island.

thats where the billions come from.

Those northerners that are keen enough come down to NZ and Chile to train off-season anyway.

As much as I'd love to see a southern games, its a fantasy at the moment. Maybe when you need more than two hands to count the total number of medals southern hemisphere countries have won at the WOGs.

I really think the best chance is for NZ to bid on a YWOG.

As i already asked in another forum.... is it possible to organize in the South Hemisphere the WOG between November & April ?

It will never be possible to change the international "sport" calendars of those winter sports....

Yes a YWOG has a better chance in the short term.

New Zealand has only won 1 silver medal at the games and that was in 1992.

They are terrible becuse there is no support structure there. You build Olympic Grade Facilities NZ will do a lot better, and over time will develop a winter sport culture.

You cant teach marksmanship if you dont have any bullets, you cant teach speed skating at an olympic level without a high grade rink.

If you build it they will come.

They are terrible becuse there is no support structure there. You build Olympic Grade Facilities NZ will do a lot better, and over time will develop a winter sport culture.

You cant teach marksmanship if you dont have any bullets, you cant teach speed skating at an olympic level without a high grade rink.

Well, they don't actually have to build any mountains either - they've got some good ones. And they do a bit of skiing. Still hasn't propelled forward a slew of gold medallist downhillers or slalomers.

We have skate rinks and we have bullets here as well!!!!

Its not just about building things. For instance we dont have a world class athletic track or until recently an indoor velodrone but we won 2 cycling medals at the games in beijing and we won bronze (possibly an upgrade to silver) in the mens 1500m.

The Kiwi's invented Bunjee jumping, youre telling me that not one person of that lot would totally dig learning luge or Arials?

bungee jumping has nothing to do with the luge or arials. With bungee jumping you just stand there and fall off a bridge. Luge and Arials take lots of skill and many hours of dedication and training to perfect it.

bungee jumping has nothing to do with the luge or arials. With bungee jumping you just stand there and fall off a bridge. Luge and Arials take lots of skill and many hours of dedication and training to perfect it.

I meant that NZ is full of young folks who enjoy bunje jumpng and the NZOC could tap into that brave, funloving, experimental populous and heavily recruit for the funner sports. I don't see cross contry skiing being a top priority but short track, ariales, skeleton, bobsleigh, luge, and super G.

I've said it before and I pretty much stand by this: It is almost certain to NEVER happen. There are a number of critical issues that the Southern Hemisphere will have difficulty overcoming.

The winter Olympic season has always been in February (with a few starting in late January). Putting the Winter Olympics in July-August (the South's relative equivalent) would throw havoc into the long established training and world championship schedules. Many athletes retire after the Olympic season. This would put the Olympics before the start of the next season.

It would basically put the Olympics within weeks or even at the same time as that other big world event held in the same year, the FIFA World Cup. And most winter sports viewers are in the North. Europe and North America alone have a potential audience of 600 million, and then add in millions in Japan, Russia, Korea and then a billion in China all watching winter sport during their winter, well, it makes the 100 million+ in Australia, Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, and South Africa a very small and undesirable market by comparison.

And remember, the first priority of the Olympics are the athletes, not the host country. In Turin in 2006, there were 2500 athletes present, and less than 100 of them came from the countries of the Southern Hemisphere. There were more athletes there from either Finland or Sweden and they can't even win the rights to hosting the Winter Olympics.

In the Southern Hemisphere, only Chile, Argentina and New Zealand have the mountains that can accommodate the required 800m (2600ft) vertical drop on the ski run for the men's alpine, and even some of the existing resorts would have to extend their runs, which would mean clear cutting and further development. Not so environmentally friendly.

For reasons of development, athlete participation, sport schedules, sponsorship, broadcasting, and winter sport culture, it will be very very difficult for the Southern Hemisphere to convince the IOC to bypass the Rockies, Alps, Appalachians, and others in the north for an August celebration in Santiago, Mendoza or Christchurch. It isn't impossible, but not going to happen for a very, very long time.

The South might get it if the North put forward no bids or the only Northern bids were from very unstable countries or from those like the failed 2006 Helsinki bid that required going to another country for a mountain. Otherwise, it is just a pipe dream for a very long, long time.

PLUS, aren't they launching the Youth WINTER Games in 2012? So that'll lock in the following calendars:

Leap year -- Jan/Feb - Youth Winter*; July/Aug - regular adult Olympix

Off-year -- Jan/Feb - regular WOGs; summer - Youth Summer OGs

*the Youth Winter host will probably alternate continents now with the regular WOG host (so between Asia, Europe, No. America). So even a YWOG for the southern hemisphere will NOT happen in the regular Leap-Olympic year because it would be RIGHT smack against the main bread-and-butter of the IOC - the SOG!!

So definitely, a WOG in July/Aug/Sept in the off-year will NOT fit into the IOC's schedule, and it would be competing with the FIFA World Cup for sponsors as well.

I've said it before and I pretty much stand by this: It is almost certain to NEVER happen. There are a number of critical issues that the Southern Hemisphere will have difficulty overcoming.

The winter Olympic season has always been in February (with a few starting in late January). Putting the Winter Olympics in July-August (the South's relative equivalent) would throw havoc into the long established training and world championship schedules. Many athletes retire after the Olympic season. This would put the Olympics before the start of the next season.

It would basically put the Olympics within weeks or even at the same time as that other big world event held in the same year, the FIFA World Cup. And most winter sports viewers are in the North. Europe and North America alone have a potential audience of 600 million, and then add in millions in Japan, Russia, Korea and then a billion in China all watching winter sport during their winter, well, it makes the 100 million+ in Australia, Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, and South Africa a very small and undesirable market by comparison.

And remember, the first priority of the Olympics are the athletes, not the host country. In Turin in 2006, there were 2500 athletes present, and less than 100 of them came from the countries of the Southern Hemisphere. There were more athletes there from either Finland or Sweden and they can't even win the rights to hosting the Winter Olympics.

In the Southern Hemisphere, only Chile, Argentina and New Zealand have the mountains that can accommodate the required 800m (2600ft) vertical drop on the ski run for the men's alpine, and even some of the existing resorts would have to extend their runs, which would mean clear cutting and further development. Not so environmentally friendly.

For reasons of development, athlete participation, sport schedules, sponsorship, broadcasting, and winter sport culture, it will be very very difficult for the Southern Hemisphere to convince the IOC to bypass the Rockies, Alps, Appalachians, and others in the north for an August celebration in Santiago, Mendoza or Christchurch. It isn't impossible, but not going to happen for a very, very long time.

The South might get it if the North put forward no bids or the only Northern bids were from very unstable countries or from those like the failed 2006 Helsinki bid that required going to another country for a mountain. Otherwise, it is just a pipe dream for a very long, long time.

All the reasoning is very correct but also think of this . A Southern Hemisphere Winter Games held in August if it could possibly happen depending on snow conditions in those countries. This would not conflict with Fifa World Cup finals in July but it would indeed be in the month that the Summer Games have done best for American Ratings. A Chile or Argentina would also provide a time zone that would make the events live.

The idea of a southern Hemisphere games is hard for the possible hosts because you don't have cities there with three indoor Ice Hockey rinks with good spectator capacity but The NHL may not last for involvement in the Winter Games much longer anyways . New Zealand itself has recently held a Winter Games with 400 international Athletes . Most of your serious Alpine competitors are in the southern Hemisphere in the northern Summer anyways training.

An august winter games means no American Idol to beat the snot out of the WOG for American ratings like the case was with Torino 2006 which was a ratings bomb for NBC. The Same Reason August was great for Beijing 2008 would be the same for an August Winter Olympics in the southern hemisphere. No NFL Season Start (September), No end of MAjor League Baseball (october), No End of the NAscar Season in August as it is October early November for that season to end. The Same goes for Formula one for European tastes.

No start of Pro Basketball and Ice Hockey (September/ October) . August is the month that you have most people at home with their kids after they have taken destination vacations in July. September the TV's for school aged kids go off compared to August as they get involved in School .

Figure Skating maybe odd in August but I would not doubt the stacked sports activity in the fall and early Northern Hemisphere Winter is a primary reason why you don't see Winter Olympics before the Superbowl in January. Most of the Winter Sports World cup circuits are in operation in December.

I still think like you kendegra it is highly unlikely that we will see Chile , South Africa, Argentina or New Zealand stage the winter games simply on infrastructure and the huge amount of white elephants that would be left in those countries.

Jim jones

This calendar argument would be null and void if Santiago was awarded the games.

The IOC says "This is where the olympic game swill be" trust me nations wont be complaining about schedules and how much they wanted the summer off, they'll be gettign on planes to Chile.

And if the world/cup championships happen to be a few months before or after the Chile games, im sure they will go to those as well. No one wil refuse to go to the olympics, if they do then the more medal chances for whoever accepts the facts and goes to Santiago.

The allure for Olympic gold will trump soem arbitrary calendar. and it will be 7 years advance noitice, PLENTY of time to adjust schedules and calendars. I mean its not like we're giving them a months notice that they have to go to the Andes and not the Alps.

This calendar argument would be null and void if Santiago was awarded the games.

The IOC says "This is where the olympic game swill be" trust me nations wont be complaining about schedules and how much they wanted the summer off, they'll be gettign on planes to Chile.

And if the world/cup championships happen to be a few months before or after the Chile games, im sure they will go to those as well. No one wil refuse to go to the olympics, if they do then the more medal chances for whoever accepts the facts and goes to Santiago.

The allure for Olympic gold will trump soem arbitrary calendar. and it will be 7 years advance noitice, PLENTY of time to adjust schedules and calendars. I mean its not like we're giving them a months notice that they have to go to the Andes and not the Alps.

It's not going to happen. Deal with it and stop spamming.

We southerners have debated the npotion for years - we'd love it, but accept it's not happening. Why can't you?

It's not going to happen. Deal with it and stop spamming.

We southerners have debated the npotion for years - we'd love it, but accept it's not happening. Why can't you?

Thanks Roltel !

memorabilia & Roltel

Look I know Im new to this and you guys are seasoned veterans, and sure maybe you have posted about this in the past but talking about it is new to me and this thread has gotten a lot of attention. And I want to start fresh threads, not resurrect ones from 3 years ago(the honolulu thread) just to comment on it

Be constructive or dont say anything.

if your gonna respond to this do it by email and lets leave this thread to just the main topic.

Deal?

Archived