Why Chicago Needs To Win

Augie4040

Not willing to be a boring sun of a b**** for picking on every little detail, but you do not necessarily need to cross the equator to get to Brazil (when on a flight from the USA), since around one seventh of the country's area lies within the north hemisphere. Parts of the northern Brazilian states of Amazona, Pará, Roraima and Amapá are actually over the equator line.

True, but in this case (& you seem like a smart guy), you should've known that we were referring to Chicago & Rio. Plus, there are really no flights to speak of between the U.S. & that 1/7 of northern Brazil that lies in the Northern Hemisphere, since you know, if we're gonna nit-pick here. ;)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, but in this case (& you seem like a smart guy), you should've known that we were referring to Chicago & Rio. Plus, there are really no flights to speak of between the U.S. & that 1/7 of northern Brazil that lies in the Northern Hemisphere, since you know, if we're gonna nit-pick here. ;)

Oh yes, of course! ;-) Now I see your point. I just read over it, thinking very technically. But, although being already in Brazil when you cross the northern border, you will actually set feet on the country (in this situation) when you are in Rio, which of course, is below the equator (or over if we turn the globe upside down - or downside up if you live in another world ... I could go on and on and on lol) ;)

I really don't think Chicago, or the USA, "needs" an Olympics. We've already hosted the summer games 4 times, more than any other country, twice in the last 25 years. Although I do love my country, the USA is always in the Olympic spotlight anyway as we have the best athletes, the most, and win the most medals. It was only in Beijing that we finally had a formidable rival on those grounds since the Soviet Union broke up. I say it's good to give the spotlight to another country as the host.

Although, I wouldn't be opposed to the USA hosting in the 20's. Chicago would be a nice choice, but I think I would prefer San Fransisco b/c of its rich Asian and Latino culture as well as having the most perfect summer weather ever! Boston or Philadelphia would be good too, and I do believe both cities are conducting fesibility studies.

I really don't think Chicago, or the USA, "needs" an Olympics. We've already hosted the summer games 4 times, more than any other country, twice in the last 25 years. Although I do love my country, the USA is always in the Olympic spotlight anyway as we have the best athletes, the most, and win the most medals. It was only in Beijing that we finally had a formidable rival on those grounds since the Soviet Union broke up. I say it's good to give the spotlight to another country as the host.

Although, I wouldn't be opposed to the USA hosting in the 20's. Chicago would be a nice choice, but I think I would prefer San Fransisco b/c of its rich Asian and Latino culture as well as having the most perfect summer weather ever! Boston or Philadelphia would be good too, and I do believe both cities are conducting fesibility studies.

FINALLY an American has spoken without a selfish and obsessive perspective!

I wholeheartedly agree that the U.S. does not NEED the Olympics. We are not DUE. The IOC does not OWE us anything. I am embarrassed by those who suggest otherwise.

I still support Chicago. I believe Chicago is by far the best potential U.S. host. It is a stunningly beautiful city, rich in cultural diversity and art, with thriving business and a vibrant sporting tradition. Most importantly, much of the world has yet to discover what a remarkable city Chicago really is. It is, without question, the ideal U.S. candidate.

For those of us familiar with the troubles of the state of California and the bureaucratic quagmire that is San Francisco, a possible S.F. bid is simply untenable for the foreseeable future. Regarding Games in NYC, the city is the ultimate urban metropolis and I fear the Games would be lost in it. Plus, NYC's identity is already so strongly defined that it is difficult to imagine much of an Olympic legacy.

It is my sincere hope that the United States has the opportunity to honor and celebrate the rest of the world by welcoming them to Chicago in 2016.

We are due one. It is the turn of the Americas....except for that pesky little city south of the border.

If you say the pesky little city south of the border are not in the due, so, it AMERICA'S TURN not AMERICAS' TURN...

Athensfan...

I hope the honor and the celebration should be given to other country...

USA had the honor so many times lately...

I can understand people wanting the games to be spread around, but in any given race, if any city from any continent can bid, we have to respect whoever wins. We shouldn't just dismiss the USA because they have hosted before.

I personally do not think the USA hosting more than any other nation should count against them - if the IOC picks their bid then fair play to them! As has been discussed, the USA has hosted the games multiple times because it (a) wants to (B) is able to and © subsequently gets chosen to do so!

John Kass

Chicago Tribune

September 17, 2009

E-mail Print Share Text Size Some think President Barack Obama was playing Zorro on the White House lawn Wednesday, fencing with an Olympic foil, with Mayor Richard Daley looking on.

Others figured the president was Han Solo to the mayoral Yoda, foreshadowing a climactic scene to come in Copenhagen, Obama swooping in on Air Force One as if it were the Millennium (Park) Falcon, heroically rescuing the tiny-legged, verbally challenged sage.

But please, let's not get bogged down in confusing mythic symbolism.

The message from President Obama was real clear politics:

Chicago's president of the United States wants Chicago's political boss happy and hosting the 2016 Olympic Games.

"Chicago is ready, the American people are ready," said the president, with about two weeks until the International Olympic Committee meets in Copenhagen to decide whether Chicago gets the Olympic payoff. "We want these Games."

But a recent Tribune poll showed mixed feelings. People might not be crazy about the Games, but Daley sure is. He reaches for the Olympics the way a drowning man reaches for a floating chunk of wood.

And if Daley doesn't get the Olympics -- if the IOC chooses Rio, Tokyo or Madrid -- don't be surprised if this becomes the mayor's last term.

Because, after a 20-year spending spree, the money is finally gone. Daley is now so desperate for cash that he allowed parking meter rates to be increased, knowing there would be a public backlash.

Now he needs that Olympic gold, to pass it out among the hungry interests and maintain control. His Olympic push is not about sport. It's never been about sport. The Olympic theme song and wondering who might carry the torch down Michigan Avenue has been part of the children's fairy tale.

But grown-ups know that the Chicago Olympics are about keeping Daley in power. Period. It began four years ago, just as big business and labor and the guys behind the guys started wondering if Daley was weakening. A boss thought to be weak is a boss in danger. So just getting to this point has been a masterful political stroke on the part of the mayor.

In August 2004, Daley was busy ridiculing the idea of a Chicago Olympics.

"The Olympics is a construction industry," he told the Rotary Club. "They wanted $2 million from me just to make a proposal! They want to build everything new."

Back then, he was in trouble. The Hired Truck scandal was widening. Daley's administration was also under siege by another federal investigation into the wholesale abuse of political patronage through the mayor's office. Taxpayers subsidized Daley's political troops who were working the precincts and controlling elections.

In December 2004, Daley loyalist and water department boss Donald Tomczak was charged with bribery. Tomczak's illegal patronage army of hundreds of workers helped elect then-U.S. Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Tomczak) to office. Emanuel is now Obama's chief of staff.

In May 2005, the feds raided the mayor's offices with search warrants. On July 18, 2005, Daley patronage chief Robert Sorich and others were charged with fraud. Daley would soon be sitting down with federal prosecutors, giving his own deposition on corruption matters.

But one week after Sorich and others were charged in the July 18 indictments, the mayor formally changed his tune and started backing the Olympics for Chicago.

"It would be done with private money," said the mayor. "This is a big-ticket item that ... we should look at very carefully."

In the weeks leading up to that announcement, Daley privately began offering a choice to establishment Chicago:

Get on the Olympic bus with the mayor or get left behind. No CEO could afford to be left behind. They jumped on, as did the rest of the power players.

That was Daley's brilliance. The 2016 Olympics became the mortar keeping his brick house from collapsing. If he wins the Olympics, he'll stay boss for years.

Even the president, who once vowed to transcend the cynical politics of the past, jumped on board. Why not? The guys running the Obama White House come direct from Daley's City Hall.

On Wednesday, as the president joked around with swords, First Lady Michelle Obama offered a reality check. She'll accompany Daley to the Oct. 2 IOC meeting in Copenhagen.

Don't be shocked if the president makes a "surprise" appearance and wins the day.

"You should have seen the president in there fencing, it was pathetic," Mrs. Obama laughed. "But he passed the baton really well."

Actually, Daley passed the baton. And now it can't be dropped.

It is handed from Chicago's boss to his presidential anchorman, in the most important political relay of Daley's life.

Athensfan...

I hope the honor and the celebration should be given to other country...

USA had the honor so many times lately...

Danny, of course you are entitled to your opinion. However, the fact that the U.S. has hosted before is not, by itself, a good enough reason to argue that the IOC should not choose Chicago. The IOC needs additional reasons to bypass Chicago's bid.

The IOC needs additional reasons to bypass Chicago's bid.

:huh:

The IOC does not need reasons to bypass Chicago's (or Rio's, Madrid's or Tokyo's) bid because selecting a city does not mean by-passing the other three.

What is this fundamental misconception that the IOC somehow owes the Games to a city?

Each of the four bids can win on their own merit (depending the importance each IOC member gives to various criteria) and the ultimate victory of one of the four shouldn't be seen as a snub of the other three.

I can understand people wanting the games to be spread around, but in any given race, if any city from any continent can bid, we have to respect whoever wins. We shouldn't just dismiss the USA because they have hosted before.

I personally do not think the USA hosting more than any other nation should count against them - if the IOC picks their bid then fair play to them! As has been discussed, the USA has hosted the games multiple times because it (a) wants to (B) is able to and © subsequently gets chosen to do so!

Have You ever read the past results section of the Games Bid .com ? THe US has hosted the games Multiple Times in some cases because the Games Themselves were left Abandoned by Europe, Asia and all other countries in the World . The US has not developed any appreciation from the IOC on that big fact even today . You have a Honorary Dutch IOC member who would like to take the small Share of both Top sponsor money and Tv Rights for the American Market that the Usoc is afforded . He seems to think doling out from IOC headquarters is better or State funding is what the USOC should be dependent on like Australia and the UK.

The big point is The US has offered and failed as many times as Europe has hosted. What is the Problem here ? too Far from Monaco for the IAAF ? too Far fro Lausanne for Sepp Blatter ? Is Uefa given a floor of an high value office building in any of the European Cities by a Donald Trump Type from Europpe ? Donald Trump Affords that to Concacaf in His Trump tower in Manhattan .

I think the games do have to be spread around but not at the Americans Expense . What indeed does Europe bring to the table that compares to The Us or Asia in regards to Sponsorship when the games go to a Beijing . Atlanta or even perhaps Rio? The Dutch have many Fortune 500 companies and they have equal IOc members to the US yet those Dutch Companies are not involved in Tops sponsorship.

A Philips is just as good as a Samsung or Panasonic . There is Little Reasoning that a United EU should host both in 2004 and 2012 let alone possibly 2016 . 12 years between games for europe would seem reasonable considering that you have places that are able never having hosted .

Jim Jones

A Philips is just as good as a Samsung or Panasonic .

They did go up to a high level once. Thing is, Phillips products are NOT sexy; God knows the Dutch are NOT sexy people. It's like in the PC world, Apple is sexy but Toshiba, Dell, HP etc., are clunky and nerdy.

Besides, I think Samsung and Panasonic pay enough to make sure that Phillips doesn't sneak into their category somehow.

Have You ever read the past results section of the Games Bid .com ? THe US has hosted the games Multiple Times in some cases because the Games Themselves were left Abandoned by Europe, Asia and all other countries in the World . The US has not developed any appreciation from the IOC on that big fact even today .

Jim Jones

I NEVER SAID THE U.S WON MORE BIDS THAN OTHER NATIONS BUT RATHER THAT THEY HAVE HOSTED MORE OLYMPIC GAMES!!!!!

Please actually read people's words before you decide to rant at them!

:huh:

The IOC does not need reasons to bypass Chicago's (or Rio's, Madrid's or Tokyo's) bid because selecting a city does not mean by-passing the other three.

What is this fundamental misconception that the IOC somehow owes the Games to a city?

Each of the four bids can win on their own merit (depending the importance each IOC member gives to various criteria) and the ultimate victory of one of the four shouldn't be seen as a snub of the other three.

Please, I have never suggested the IOC OWES Chicago or anybody anything. To the contrary.

Yes, somebody wins, but three somebodies lose. They get passed over. It is naive to think that the IOC only votes "for" and not "against."

Please do not twist my words.

"If Rio doesn't win it will surely get 2020 or 2024. Cape Town, Rio, and Mumbai, will be on the short list well into the 2030s."

Are you an IOC member or something? Where do you get your ideas from?

I have never seen so much prejudice and nonsense in a single topic.

You've written a lot of rubbish and I still don't see why Chicago NEEDS to win 2016? Your topic is what I consider real ODD.

Besides... I am tired of seeing the games at the very same countries. Give it to the world... they are UNIVERSAL !!!!

"If Rio doesn't win it will surely get 2020 or 2024. Cape Town, Rio, and Mumbai, will be on the short list well into the 2030s."

You've written a lot of rubbish and I still don't see why Chicago NEEDS to win 2016? Your topic is what I consider real ODD.

Besides... I am tired of seeing the games at the very same countries. Give it to the world... they are UNIVERSAL !!!!

Ahem.

Part of forum etiquette is that you should at least read through the thread before going back and quoting the first message of the thread (especially if the thread is already 12 pages long across two separate headings). It was Augie's point of view, he admitted that he's new here, and most of respondents were somewhat or mostly in disagreement with the premise of the thread. Most people also agreed that neither Chicago or any other city needed or deserved to win.

Also, it's a bit of a stretch to say

when you just joined an hour ago

caraRIOca

Group: Members

It is not helpful to your bid to respond to every thread in the forum with a snarky one line response, by the way - we don't need to read a bunch of Copy/Paste lines from the latest "30 Reasons to Support Rio 2016 (English Version)"

CHItown '16

caraRIOca,

We've already discussed it a lot...

Please, read the entire threads before starting things that was overdiscussed here...

Welcome

Danny, of course you are entitled to your opinion. However, the fact that the U.S. has hosted before is not, by itself, a good enough reason to argue that the IOC should not choose Chicago. The IOC needs additional reasons to bypass Chicago's bid.

I really think that the problem is not USA has hosted before... USA has hosted many times... I'm not here saying Spain has hosted before... But C'mon

1992 Barcelona

1996 Atlanta

2000 Sydney

2008 Beijing

2012 London

2016 Madrid

or

1996 Atlanta

2000 Sydney

2008 Beijing

2012 London

2016 Chicago

I know that LA 84 and Atlanta 96 was earlier than Atlanta-Chicago...

But I don't like the idea that USA should host the games after only 3 or 4 olympics...

1992 Barcelona

1996 Atlanta

2000 Sydney

2004 Athens

2008 Beijing

2012 London

2016 Madrid

or

1996 Atlanta

2000 Sydney

2004 Athens

2008 Beijing

2012 London

2016 Chicago

Sorry, mistakes are committed by human, I'm one.

Archived