Is Michelle Obama Enough?

Soaring

Incidentally, a single day is not going to win or lose this healthcare fight. If Barack traveled to Copenhagen and Chicago won and then the bill was defeated it absolutely would have NOTHING to do with his brief trip across the pond.

I agree. And like his troops at home can't hold the fort while he's gone?

Maybe he's still weighing his options but having the CHicago team be ready in case he isn't.

Well, I've already emailed the White House. Maybe you guys can do your part.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. And like his troops at home can't hold the fort while he's gone?

Maybe he's still weighing his options but having the CHicago team be ready in case he isn't.

Well, I've already emailed the White House. Maybe you guys can do your part.

Well, I notice he's signedup as a new member here. I guess he's just waiting for us here to make up his mind for him.

I really don't know if Michelle Obama will be enough and I really don't think this question has a precise answer. For some IOC members it might work, for others it might not.

I would look at this question from the perspective of what is being replaced a man or an institution. In my opinion, a First Lady represents her husband but not her husband's administration.

If one judges that Obama's presence is important because it would enforce the support by the United States Federal Government for the Chicago 2016 bid, Michelle would not do it. It would take some cabinet member to pull this off. As mentioned here, Rahm Emmanuel or even Hillary Clinton might be good choices.

On the other hand, if the question is Obama's personal support, Michelle is entitled to represent him. She does not speak for the government, but she may speak for her husband.

If I was an IOC member, Michelle's presence would not work for me, for I would wonder if the Federal Government is behind, not the person who happens to be sitting on a chair to run it.

I really don't know if Michelle Obama will be enough and I really don't think this question has a precise answer. For some IOC members it might work, for others it might not.

I would look at this question from the perspective of what is being replaced a man or an institution. In my opinion, a First Lady represents her husband but not her husband's administration.

If one judges that Obama's presence is important because it would enforce the support by the United States Federal Government for the Chicago 2016 bid, Michelle would not do it. It would take some cabinet member to pull this off. As mentioned here, Rahm Emmanuel or even Hillary Clinton might be good choices.

On the other hand, if the question is Obama's personal support, Michelle is entitled to represent him. She does not speak for the government, but she may speak for her husband.

If I was an IOC member, Michelle's presence would not work for me, for I would wonder if the Federal Government is behind, not the person who happens to be sitting on a chair to run it.

Do you think Obama will NOT convery a message in his taped address? Or are the IOC members so self-centered that they think all world leaders must pay obeisance to them? Mud in their eye as we say.

Do you think Obama will NOT convery a message in his taped address? Or are the IOC members so self-centered that they think all world leaders must pay obeisance to them? Mud in their eye as we say.

If you assume that, then the whole discussion about head of states going to Copenhagen is useless. For this discussion to have a meaning we have to assume that it is important for them to be pfresent. In that case, I think my comment is valid.

If you assume that, then the whole discussion about head of states going to Copenhagen is useless. For this discussion to have a meaning we have to assume that it is important for them to be pfresent. In that case, I think my comment is valid.

well, yeah, but to counter your argument...after all, this is a discussion board, I also stated my case. After all, even Rogge himself said that it is NOT a requirement that heads of state attend. I am sure the IOC feels gratified and self-importrant if they do; but then it is also additional security headaches for them and the organizing committee.

So everything in life , including IOC matters, is a double-edged sword.

I watched video today of Michelle and Barack speaking about the bid at the White House, and Michelle fumbled over words, and didn't seem too energized, and Barack gave a very good speech.

The two really just do not compare.

I watched video today of Michelle and Barack speaking about the bid at the White House, and Michelle fumbled over words, and didn't seem too energized, and Barack gave a very good speech.

The two really just do not compare.

You shouldn't judge by that. #1 - She probably was not been briefed enough; she has homework to do.

#2 - She will most probably speak from a prepared text. The whole presentation will be scripted so that there will be a unity of message.

and then in the off-sessions, that's when it's all going to be extemporaneous.

There is no doubt that she will be more prepared in Copenhagen (even though she was reading from text), but there are only certain things that Barack can say, that will really mean something. I am now convinced now more than ever that if the president is not there (or at least Bill Clinton), Chicago will lose. Michelle won't carry the weight and credence that Barack Obama would.

I am sorry, I don't mean to sound pessimistic, I am just trying to be realistic.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aqsYutkLgwzk

Michelle Obama Plans Dramatic Pitch for Olympics, Jarrett Says

By John McCormick

Sept. 17 (Bloomberg) -- A top White House adviser said first lady Michelle Obama is planning to make a dramatic presentation when she offers the closing argument for the bid by her hometown of Chicago to win the 2016 Summer Olympics.

“There won’t be a dry eye in the room,” said Valerie Jarrett, who plans to travel with the first lady to Copenhagen for the Oct. 2 International Olympic Committee vote.

“I’m sure that it will touch the hearts of each of the IOC members,” Jarrett, a senior adviser to President Barack Obama, said today in an interview.

Jarrett declined to say what the first lady will tell the IOC. The stakes are high because winning the games would be an economic boost nationally, as well as for Chicago, she said.

“It will be a huge economic engine for Chicago, but it will have a ripple effect throughout the country,” Jarrett said, adding that U.S. corporations have voiced support for Chicago’s bid.

Michelle Obama is leading the U.S. delegation to Copenhagen, where the IOC will choose among Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo.

Getting the games would mean billions of dollars in construction, tourism, sponsorships and advertising, as well as national prestige. Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has pledged his city will take financial responsibility for the undertaking, now budgeted at $4.8 billion.

McDonald’s Corp., based in Oak Brook, Illinois, is one of the many Chicago-area companies following the bid. The fast- food company is one of nine global Olympic sponsors with exclusive marketing rights.

Appeal for African Support

In the closing days of the campaign, the U.S. is making an appeal to IOC members from African nations.

Jarrett, for example, was scheduled to attend reception this evening in Washington for African ambassadors organized by U.S. Representative Bobby Rush, a Democrat who represents a swath of Chicago’s South Side.

“This isn’t just the president and the first lady,” said Jarrett, 52, who grew up in Chicago and is a longtime friend of the Obamas. “Our entire congressional delegation is behind this as well.”

Jarrett stressed Chicago’s diversity and said more than 100 languages are spoken throughout the city because of its many ethnic neighborhoods.

“It’s a city where no matter what your race, your religion, your nationality, your ethnicity, you can come to Chicago, work hard and follow your dreams,” she said. “That’s kind of the embodiment of the Olympic spirit.”

White House Topic

With so many fellow Chicagoans in top White House jobs, including Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and senior adviser David Axelrod, Jarrett said the bid is a constant topic. “We talk about it every single morning together as we meet,” she said.

Although the president isn’t planning to attend the Copenhagen session, Jarrett said he is still working the phones.

“Every vote counts and so he’ll be reaching out to everyone and trying to make it clear to everyone how Chicago is absolutely the best possible place to host the Olympics,” she said.

Jarrett said Michelle Obama will meet in Copenhagen with IOC members, especially ones known to have questions about the U.S. bid. “Our hope would be to be able to spend as much time individually with IOC members who perhaps are on the fence and convince them,” she said.

Like the president, Michelle Obama, 45, keeps a rigorous fitness routine, exercising six or seven days a week. Still, she is less of a sports junkie than he.

“She’s not a Sports Channel fanatic,” Jarrett said. “But she certainly enjoys a good sporting event.”

IOC president Jacques Rogge said in a conference call from Lausanne, Switzerland with journalists today that a Sept. 9 vote by the Chicago City Council in support of a full financial guarantee helped the U.S. bid.

“We’re totally satisfied of the signature by Mayor Daley,” he said. “There is no issue on that.”

/\ That sounds like the next best thing. And that's all we see on the surface. I am sure there are more forces working behind the scene (like us ex-part Cariocas who LUV CHICAGO!!). PLUS, we don't know what surprises will be sprung in the last minute!! It's all a matter of timing these days.

Besides, once Madrid and Tokyo are ejected, what good were their heads of state for the last round??

President Obama is dispatching an advance team to Copenhagen to pave the way for a possible personal appearance before the Olympic committee next month.

The decision doesn't necessarily mean Obama will be able to make an in-person appeal for his adopted hometown of Chicago, which is bidding to to host the Olympics in 2016, a senior advisor to the president said this afternoon.

But the president wants to make sure he has the option to go, in case he can get away from the health care discussions to make the trip.

Before any presidential trip, the White House advance teams need time to size up the security situation and make arrangements for accommodations -- even for travel the president doesn't end up undertaking. The advance team will travel Monday.

more: http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics..._eyed_adva.html

Archived