Is Michelle Obama Enough?

Soaring

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is such a difficult problem.

I wish Obama were going to Copenhagen. There is no one else with the same sincerity, charisma and gravitas. I do think Chicago needs an extra push right now and I believe Obama's presence is the only thing that can give it to them.

Healthcare reform needs to be priority number one, but I do believe some IOC members will take Obama's absence as an evidence that the U.S. thinks it is somehow superior to the rest of the world and doesn't need to play by the same rules. Of course, in reality, there are no rules regarding heads of state attending IOC sessions. Rogge is right when he says Obama's presence or absence should not affect the voting one way or another. Unfortunately, the key word there is "should."

The most important thing for the USOC to do is to establish warm, trustworthy relationships and to communicate graciously and humbly. The international community needs to be convinced that the U.S. doesn't just want to play top dog and trumpet the red, white and blue. We want to welcome the world, to foster peace and unity. Really, the goal of a Chicago Olympics should be to BLESS the world. This message must be communicated in a tender and heartfelt manner. This is the key.

Personally, I believe that Obama himself is the best person to convey such a message honestly and persuasively.

If Chicago loses the race, we will all wonder to ourselves "what if?"

That's right. Only Tony Blair can work wonders.

If London was bidding for 2016 against Rio de Janeiro, only 13 years after the United Kingdom's previous Games, then no - Tony Blair would not have been able to work his "wonders".

But London was still bidding for 2012 against Paris "the favorite" (not to mention, 3 other world capitals), which last hosted in 1924 & had the failed previous bids of 1992 & 2008. It's all relative.

Paris, by the time of the Singapore presentations, was no longer the overwhelming favourite that some people here tend to think. Both Paris and London were equally matched in the Evaluation Committee's findings and were the only two described as "of a very high standard".

It was the amount of time that Blair committed to the bid in the days prior to the vote compared to Chirac, the compelling nature of the presentation compared to Paris' rather slow, information heavy first-half/artistic but irrelevant second-half presentation, and finally the fact that Paris presented first and London second to last and was fresher in the minds of IOC members that won the campaign for 2012.

It wasn't just here, but the pundits as well viewed Paris as the favorite. When Paris lost, it was even joked about here in the media because they were seen as the bid to beat.

So again, that means Blair turned on his charm. So I don't see why Barrack couldn't do the same. So one can't judge or surmise to something that hasn't even happened yet; being the question "would Obama be enough". Because I (along with many other people obviously) think that he could do the job & perhaps pitch it home for the team.

It wasn't just here, but the pundits as well viewed Paris as the favorite. When Paris lost, it was even joked about here in the media because they were seen as the bid to beat.

So again, that means Blair turned on his charm. So I don't see why Barrack couldn't do the same. So one can't judge or surmise to something that hasn't even happened yet; being the question "would Obama be enough". Because I (along with many other people obviously) think that he could do the job & perhaps pitch it home for the team.

As I said; Paris was the favourite, but by the time of the Singapore presentations it was not an overwhelming favourite as London had had the momentum for some time since Seb Coe took control of the bid.

Blair certainly did "turn on his charm", however, there were other factors that came into play which I also mentioned above.

Barrack Obama is an extremely popular figure (especially here in Europe!), however, the push for the Games to be held in Rio in 2016 is also extremely strong.

We are not here to debate on the 2012 race, but....

Paris, by the time of the Singapore presentations, was no longer the overwhelming favourite that some people here tend to think.

RIGHT, thanks to the last minute lobbying from Blair & some France's mistake (Chirac speeches, Non aggreement on the European Consitution, Michel Barnier not anymore a minister...)

Both Paris and London were equally matched in the Evaluation Committee's findings and were the only two described as "of a very high standard".

WRONG, both very high standard, but when you into the detail of that report you see that technicaly the Paris bid was better than the London one !

It was the amount of time that Blair committed to the bid in the days prior to the vote compared to Chirac, the compelling nature of the presentation compared to Paris' rather slow, information heavy first-half/artistic but irrelevant second-half presentation, and finally the fact that Paris presented first and London second to last and was fresher in the minds of IOC members that won the campaign for 2012.

RIGHT, as already said Blair Job was exellent... And I agree that the Paris final presentation was totally away from the IOC members waits... No "olympic spirit" in the paris presentation... too technical !

Just to conclude and link this to our 2016 subject, as I already said at the beginning of this thread, just to be present on the day on the final presentation is not enough.... heads of states, celebrities have to be present since the beginning of the week in Copenhagen and do some good lobbying. The London 2012, Blairs & Coe jobs in 2005 in Singapore are a excellent reference !!!

Actually I think Michelle can be a very dangerous presence to other bids if she goes to Denmark. Don't forget she's also part of Obamamania but has her own charisma. And people love when the first lady take the lead.

Can you imagine Carla Bruni lobbying to Annecy 2018?

PS: Michelle is dangerous. I don't trust her at all. She's got HELL in the middle of her name... MICHELLE! Creepy.

What is exactly is "enough?"

Michelle Obama going to Copenhagen will be a definite boost for the bid even if she's not in the Cabinet. What could be more fitting to present someone who actually grew up in the same area where the Olympics will be than Michelle's personal history? Rahm may be good but he doesn't carry as much "celebrity status" as Michelle's. It's true that he's from Chicago but he's more influential in the behind the scenes work of the US Congress rather than the IOC Congress.

You claim that Paris or London neither had opposition groups. I didn't know they had 100% public support in 2005. Sure, No Games Chicago was loud--louder than any other opposition groups during this race, but where were they at the the community meetings? Nowhere! Actually, some of these opposition members were not even from Chicago or Chicago residents.

Foot dragging of the mayor? You're probably witnessing a democratic and responsible process. It's better to start asking questions now and strenthen our position financially, plan for a transparent and accountable process rather than waste time and ask the same questions after winning the bid. We know at least what we're getting into and not get blinded by the Olympic euphoria, because at the end of the day, it's us who will be paying for it, not you.

By the way, if Chicago or the US is not taking it seriously then what's the point for us to be paying for all this work and wasting our time?

Well really Dino with the bare History of the Olympic Movement why does America indeed waste its collective Breathe ? 33 separate Bids from America for either winter or summer olympics have failed while 30 Winter and Summer Games have been Hosted in Europe. Then you have the US winners via bid election 1 Summer 3 Winter . This is With America Hosting orphaned bid years on three occasions. Dino the US is taken with destine by the IOC membership it would seem.

Los Angeles Loses to Montreal and Moscow for the 1976 games and then loses against Moscow as the only other opponent for the 1980 games ?

Yet LA is the City that Saved the Games Twice !!!! As too foot Dragging by the Mayor the Mayor probably has to look over his shoulder in regards to what keeps Bernie Eccelstone from running Wild with Demands for Formula one in America. If you mentioned that a Government in America was going to subsidize a Formula one race like they do for China, Malaysia, Canada and Australia you would have huge political problems with a Ballot Issue in the Next election. This is what happened with Denver 1976 and Los Angeles 1984 when both host states citizens voted no for Public Funding .

The EU IOC membership want a blank cheque to your City, State and National treasuries while the EU made no efforts to save the Winter Games of 1980 or the Summer Games of 1984. Hell let the American's do it after all LA is dump enough to bid 9 times without success before 1984. Only Montreal and Lake Placid rank with places to stage Winter or Summer Games while being rejected nearly as many times as LA. Don't be surprised if Chicago goes down to a close defeat .

Michelle Obama is about the extent of the effort America should put into this because the President certainly can't afford to have egg on his face with health care reform a top priority. I think they know

Already to be honest. The Heart Strings of NYC post 911 did not turn the trick for 2012.

Jim jones

I've been thinking for a while, a Clinton is what's needed (I like Baron's Three Chicago-Babes option very much actually). But Bill I reckon could also be a definite plus - and he'd have more time to stay a few days to schmooze - something which even if Barack DID go, he wouldn't be able to spend enough time to do a la Blair.

Frankly Roltel I think Bill is a larger asset in light of the North Korean rescue of the American Journalists. Like him or hate him Bill Clinton was a winner and certainly has a pragmatic politicians way about him . The Other Plus was he was the President that last opened a Summer Games in America for better or worst according to the people who would moan about Atlanta 96.

Jim jones

As I said; Paris was the favourite, but by the time of the Singapore presentations it was not an overwhelming favourite as London had had the momentum for some time since Seb Coe took control of the bid.

Blair certainly did "turn on his charm", however, there were other factors that came into play which I also mentioned above.

Barrack Obama is an extremely popular figure (especially here in Europe!), however, the push for the Games to be held in Rio in 2016 is also extremely strong.

But here is the Effect of Tony Blair's Charm . The last couple of years of London 2012 has been a road littered with the Cost Overrun Media Worldwide that has had a few potential European City candidates put the thoughts of bidding to bed . Does the IOC membership really want to be lead into a sucker punch thrown by a state leader again ? Chicago with a very optimistic Estimate looks like London 2012 in 2005 except with no Federal government Funding Guarantees unlike the other three candidate cities. Cost over runs occur with Chicago 2016 and the possibility of a Denver 1974 is very much there.

Jim jones

The following article reveals very interesting information about the importance of Obama's presence. According to Dick Pound and "anonymous IOC members", Obama's presence is vital to a Chicago victory. The article acknowledges that this is in direct conflict with Rogge's statement. Apparently Daley was urging Obama to stump for Chicago in Copenhagen just days after his election. Most interesting of all, the bid committee is still rehearsing TWO versions of the final presentation -- one including Obama and one without him. It would seem there is still a faint glimmer of hope ...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/17...S-oly13.article

Yes, but I would be surprised if Billy traveled to Copenhagen. He did not go to Singapore for 2012 (even though he is a NY state resident, but maybe Hillary didn't want him to overshadow her).

He's restless. He needs to be heard and seen so that he can get more speaking engagements and sell his books. Copenhagen will be a perfect schmoozing opportunity for him.

He's restless. He needs to be heard and seen so that he can get more speaking engagements and sell his books. Copenhagen will be a perfect schmoozing opportunity for him.

I agree. The IOC session is the type of thing where he can play to his strengtths, charming and schmoozing and showing his winning charisma.

If they send Bill Clinton, the problem now for Chicago is how to present Bill and Michelle w/in their alloted 45 minutes. But they will probably find a way.

I think Bill + Michelle + Oprah and some sports star (Jackie Joyner-Kersee on their bid team) should compensate for Numero Uno's absence. At least there will be 3 A+ Names going around vs. one (Barack).

Again, they'll probably announce this only for sure if BO is NOT going. So it's a last-minute surprise.

Archived