Each Bid's Greatest Weakness And Greatest Strength

Soaring

RULE - YOU CAN ONLY NAME ONE WEAKNESS AND ONE STRENGTH FOR EACH BID

What is each bid's greatest weakness and greatest strength in your opinion? What will be their "driving message" for the final presentation that is meant to diminish that weakness and capitalize on that strength?

Remember, only list the greatest weakness and greatest strength.

Candidate Greatest Weakness Greatest Strenght

Chicago 2016 No Blank Cheque for the Games It is the US with the greatest commercial potential for the IOC

Rio 2016 Fear of a frontier nation staging Realistic Budget compared with the other three, there will be little in the way of cost overrun stories for the IOC to try to slep off

Tokyo 2016 Bad timing of the bid coming on the

heals of Beijing 2008

Trying to become the city to become

Elected to host on three occasions A relatively stable economy and great infrastructure

Madrid 2016 The Worst Timing asking the IOC Venue wise and transportation wise Madrid has much of what is

to do what has not been done since needed now if they could get wise and get some wisdom as Athens and

1948-1952 stage back to back games Beijing both did after defeats not making back to back bids. Wisdom would say

on the same continent being Europe you realize there is a rotation system and is undeclared

It could be done if it was a special case

like an orphaned bid cycle but probably

only in America

Jim jones

Chicago

Strength: Compact, city-centric bid

Weakness: The lateness with which its problems have been rectified - is the postponing of the Olympic network and the decision to allow the Olympic contract to be signed too little too late in smoothing over relations with the IOC?

Rio

Strength: A sexy city which offers the opportunity to host the games amongst beautiful scenery in a continent which is new to the Games.

Weakness: Can they get the unsexy stuff like transport and accommodation right and will IOC members be willing to take that leap of faith?

Madrid

Strength: Safe bid with much already built

Weakness: Two words - "London 2012"

Tokyo:

Strength: Interesting venue plan which, if shown off well in shiny renders, will pander to the IOC's egotistical, bigger-is-better instincts.

Weakness: Is the enthusiasm there - both from the Japanese, and from the IOC and the world (especially after gorging ourselves on Beijing's feast)

Chicago

Strength: Compact, city-centric bid

Weakness: The lateness with which its problems have been rectified - is the postponing of the Olympic network and the decision to allow the Olympic contract to be signed too little too late in smoothing over relations with the IOC?

Rio

Strength: A sexy city which offers the opportunity to host the games amongst beautiful scenery in a continent which is new to the Games.

Weakness: Can they get the unsexy stuff like transport and accommodation right and will IOC members be willing to take that leap of faith?

Madrid

Strength: Safe bid with much already built

Weakness: Two words - "London 2012"

Tokyo:

Strength: Interesting venue plan which, if shown off well in shiny renders, will pander to the IOC's egotistical, bigger-is-better instincts.

Weakness: Is the enthusiasm there - both from the Japanese, and from the IOC and the world (especially after gorging ourselves on Beijing's feast)

Another one for Chicago: Obama isn't going

Another one for Chicago: Obama isn't going

It has yet to be announced whether he is or is not going. Keep your pants on. We know for a fact that Michelle Obama is going.

WASHINGTON--President Obama just phoned Mayor Daley to tell him he may not be able to travel to Copenhagen next month to help make the final pitch for Chicago to win the 2016 Olympic summer games because of his pending fight to pass health care legislation. First Lady Michelle Obama will lead the U.S. delegation, the Sun-Times has learned.

I'm told the President told the mayor he is very committed, he will continue to press the case and Michelle Obama will lead the U.S. Olympic Committee delegation's bid for the Chicago 2016 games. Obama can't, at this moment, commit to going because he cannot say where the health care issue will be in the first week of October.

Chicago 2016 No Blank Cheque for the Games

That is false. A couple days ago the City of Chicago voted and has agreed to provide a full blanket guarantee for any and all cost over runs. Sure it's not the national government, but money is money no matter the source.

It has yet to be announced whether he is or is not going. Keep your pants on. We know for a fact that Michelle Obama is going.

LOL You guys are always pissing off everybody else... specially Rio... when I say Obama not showing is a weakness for Chicago, you tell me to keep my pants on....

Well, I don't think your health care system will be approved till then... so... I'm pretty sure I'll be able to take my pants off...

Just my opinion...some may appear to contradict each other, but sometimes that's how strengths and weaknesses work.

S=Strength; W=Weakness; M=Message I'm hearing...

Chicago

S - a deep pool of corporate sponsors

W - government backing is never a sure thing in the USA

M - "We are a compact bid in the heart of America"

Madrid

S - experience in networking with the IOC

W - bad timing with London four years earlier

M - "Timing be damned, we want the Games"

Rio de Janeiro

S - a sexy new frontier

W - social and potential sponsor challenges (WC14)

M - "South America is ready and eager to host"

Tokyo

S - Japanese organizational efficiency

W - lowest public support

M - "We have the resources and the organization skills to pull off virtually trouble-free Games"

Chicago:

Strongest) Being a city in the US.

We all know the importance of this country in the history of the OGs.

But not only that, the US are the single most influential nation on the planet and we can see it in so many different levels. I wouldn’t say it’s a cultural dominance but it’s definitely a cultural predominance. And that plays in their favour without any doubt.

Weakest) Comparative lack of legacy.

Chicago already offers its citizens good infra-structure as well as sports and cultural opportunities. Voters do not perceive Chicago as benefiting as much from the games, in the sense that the games would be good for them (obviously) but that they do not need it. And I believe (not an expert) IOC members appreciate portraying Olympiads as a positive event for local areas, with transformations, making a difference, and all that. Which might not be totally wrong if you compare the memorability of Barcelona and Atlanta, for instance.

Tokyo:

Strongest) Competence.

Japanese (also Germans) are admired for being very reliable so there is no doubt Tokyo would organize amazing games. They already have cutting-edge technologies which could definitely contribute to providing better, greener games.

Weakest) Bad bidding.

A little bit contradictory to what I’ve just said but I think they did not manage to captivate voters at all. No one seems very excited about their bid, not even local people. (Plus, the inexistent venues were such a primitive mistake.)

Rio de Janeiro:

Strongest) Commercial affaris.

Many multinational companies will see growing (but already somewhat advanced) Brazilian democratic market as a great business opportunity in many areas, from infrastructure to services and tourism. Besides, its golden time zone (not far from Europe, close to North America) and vibrant culture implies a great value added regarding sponsorship and advertising. I doubt FIFA’14 will affect commercial interests for the simple fact that Brazil is both very diverse and very far from the main spotlight.

Weakest) Risk perception.

Rio is still associated to the "South America’s turn" campaign and not seen as very technical.

Supporting their bid might sound like voting sympathy over capability.

I must say the emotional card was well played at some point because it gives an interesting motivation, creates a favourable environment but at this mo

... but at this moment

it feeds the uncertainty "are they competitive regardless of 'continental rotation'? ".

Madrid:

Strongest) Organic planning.

They seem to have made the most of their positive situation as a metropolitan area. The plans fit very smoothly in their context, many of the venues already exist. In other words, effortless from the other bids perspective.

Weakest) Barcelona 92.

Not even London 2012, as two European hosts would not be so surprising.

But Barcelona is too fresh in most people’s memories (even in a positive way).

I would say Spain is being very bold if you think about their importance to the world as a country. I cannot see Madrid happening so soon, they should focus on hosting more championships since they have good infrastructure. I actually think Portugal/Spain could be a very good option for FIFA’18.

====

Very clever discussion. Thanks, Soaring_Higher!

Chicago

Strength: already known as a great world city; many IOC members might feel compelled to rectify this

Weakness: sense of "it's our turn" meant the bid book had flaws that weren't entirely superficial

Tokyo

Strength: known to get the job done

Weakness: too soon after Beijing and many will want to give the 2018 OWG to Pyeonchang (deservedly)

Madrid

Strength: solid, if unremarkable plan

Weakness: London 2012 and Sochi 2014 make a European OSG unlikely

Rio

Strength: they've done their homework and presented a well-round bid that appeals to IOC values

Weakness: risk concerns

Message: we are a major free market world democracy from a continent that's never hosted an OGs...and we've proven we're ready

And I think sending Michelle Obama will go doewn as one of the biggest misreads of culture in bidding history (she's nobody in political terms)

Archived