Football EC 2008 Switzerland/Austria

arwebb

The venues were ok, in general. Some of them were not completely finished but that was not really a problem.

Have a look at the stadium in Braga. I now exactly what I´m talking about

euro2004_braga.jpg

I'm not sure what your trying to say about the Braga stadium. It was always supposed to have stands on only two sides with the rocks being the two ends. The whole stadium site was blown out of a mountain.

About the EU comment, we're talking about Portugal here. One of those Mediterranean countries (I'm not going to name others because Mikel might get pissed :;):) which rely completely on "gifts" from Brussels for building big things, especially if they have no use for it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I wanted to say was, Portugal was well organized, but it was not the top organisation as people say. Before the tournament started there were a lot of problems with personal, finance etc.

But this happens with all major events in all countries, zenica, especally those with a free and critical press.

Take the Olympics. In the years leading up to 2000, you could have been forgiven that the Sydney Games were being organised by, as kendegra so memorably coined it, a bunch of retarded monkeys on crack. There were ticketing problems, questions over finances, continual changing of the OC leader etc. And it ended up producing one of the best games ever. And Athens? So many people actually thought Athens 2004 was not going to happen. And they ended up delighting the world.

Being criticised and solving problems in the organising stage of an event is inevitable.

About the EU comment, we're talking about Portugal here. One of those Mediterranean countries (I'm not going to name others because Mikel might get pissed :;):) which rely completely on "gifts" from Brussels for building big things, especially if they have no use for it.

Are you referring to the new Terminal 4 in Barajas? :rolleyes: Barajas need this new terminal. The airport will receive in 2006 more than 70 million passengers. How many airports in Europe will receive this number of passengers? :angry:

• 1 month later...
Because they clearly believe that the people they need can be found closer to home. Consult previous organisers, but why employ them if you don't have to?

Exactly _ in most countries it would be a scandal if they brought in someone from another country to control everything for an event they are hosting.

security systems for this event will cost only in Switzerland 107 million Euro, planned was 7 million. The same costs will hit Austria. This is a bad surprise for Martin Kallen and his staff. They should have calculated the costs with a better knowledge and not only on speculations.

What matters is having a secure tournament, not how much that costs.

The other thing is at least they seem to be learning from mistakes. For goodness' sake, surely you would prefer that to the alternative.

Stop bloody whinging and let them get on with their job of organising what I am sure will be a great tournament.

These people who are responsible for the budget of those tournaments should be more careful with the money of the tax payers and should not estimate the costs (as seen before in Athens or Torino etc). So the costs explode and the tax payers are the idiots to pay the bill

Surely there has to be some estimating of costs, though, even if it was some way out.

I'm just wondering what you've got against the organisers of this tournament.

These people who are responsible for the budget of those tournaments should be more careful with the money of the tax payers and should not estimate the costs (as seen before in Athens or Torino etc). So the costs explode and the tax payers are the idiots to pay the bill

Oh right _ organisers of any tournament should not estimate costs beforehand? I suppose you're idea then is that any big tournament is just given a blank cheque, so whatever the cost is nobhody can say they were underestimated.

• 2 weeks later...
No, we're not talking about peanuts. But the question is what would you prefer? Would you rather they estimated and then had to adjust or just gave free rein for whatever the authorities wanted to be spent? I'm certainly not sure what you want from them. Some clarification would be welcome.

A more serious calculation would be preferred. A few million difference are ok but 100 million? There are a lot of non professional people there.

Starting in September the qualification matches begin. We are waiting for a lot of dramatic and good matches.

It´s clear that there are big differences in the estimation of the costs as there are sitting a lot of people that have not very much experience in doing the job. That´s why we need a lot of experienced people there.

arwebb,do you want to top the posts of guardian etc because you are commenting every single post from me?

Martin Kallen needs really experienced people for his team and not the kind he actually has. But it might be the trend of today to hire people with only few knowledge, because they are easier to manipulate and to handle.

What I want is for you to stop preaching at all the world and his wife and leave the organising committee to get on with the job of organising what I am sure will be a great tournament. But then, hell will probably freeze over first.

The fact that you can dismiss the entire team as "simple" just says so much about you. They don't do it how you want them to, so you resort to insults. That just shows up exactly how pathetic you really are!

• 2 weeks later...
the OC has hired a new manager from Swiss railway. That´s my comment to the "competence and experience" of the people in big sport events. It´s always the same story

Considering the Swiss railways reputation for excellence and efficiency, and the ned to deal with both Government and the public, I'd say that's probably a good choice.

Archived