Football EC 2008 Switzerland/Austria

arwebb

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The whole Euro 2008 is a non-event until 2008.

The draw for a European championship is not a major event, that's true, certainly not compared to the world cup for example.

But the actual tournament is a big deal for Europeans, and the qualifying games to get to Euro 2008 will be massively watched with packed-out stadia. When I was in Australia in winter of 2004 (summer in the northern hemisphere), Euro 2004 was being advertised and screened.

Here in the UK, the European Championships get huge attention, as as i've mentioned on other thread we have all the shenanigans with people decorating their houses and cars with flags, taking time off work to watch England matches, and giant screens being erected.

European Championships get far more attention than the commonwealth games, that's for sure. Euro 2008 will generate more interest, excitement and enthuasium in the UK, compared to Melbourne 2006.

The draw for a European championship is not a major event, that's true, certainly not compared to the world cup for example.

But the actual tournament is a big deal for Europeans, and the qualifying games to get to Euro 2008 will be massively watched with packed-out stadia. When I was in Australia in winter of 2004 (summer in the northern hemisphere), Euro 2004 was being advertised and screened.

Here in the UK, the European Championships get huge attention, as as i've mentioned on other thread we have all the shenanigans with people decorating their houses and cars with flags, taking time off work to watch England matches, and giant screens being erected.

European Championships get far more attention than the commonwealth games, that's for sure. Euro 2008 will generate more interest, excitement and enthuasium in the UK, compared to Melbourne 2006.

The draw is in a few hours, right?

The draw is in a few hours, right?

yes the draw start at noon (in Europe).  That's  at 6am EST

Euro 2008 qualifying draw  

Group A

Portugal

Poland

Serbia & Mont

Belgium

Finland

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Kazakhstan

Group B

France

Italy

Ukraine

SCOTLAND

Lithuania

Georgia

Faroe Islands

Group C

Greece

Turkey

Norway

Bosnia

Hungary

Moldova

Malta

Group D

Czech Republic

Germany

Slovakia

REP OF IRELAND

WALES

Cyprus

San Marino

Group E

ENGLAND

Croatia

Russia

Israel

Estonia

Macedonia

Andorra

Group F

Sweden

Spain

Denmark

Latvia

Iceland

NORTHERN IRELAND

Liechtenstein

Group G

Holland

Romania

Bulgaria

Slovenia

Albania

Belarus

Luxembourg

50 teams will fight for in total 14 places (only the first two of every group will be in the final + Switzerland and Austria) during September 06 and November 07. In December there will be the draw for the final round. We will see a lot of really hard fights.

I think it looks like a worldcup, without Brazil and Argentina.

Group B is the real hammer. But also the so called favorites should be very very carefull

What do u think about Group F? Do u think Spain will pass with Sweden to the next round?

Spain´s group is relatively easy but they have to be more concentrated as for WorldCup (i.e. at home against Bosnia 1:1 in 97.min. Bosnia had 3 players less at the end).

If they take it too easy this will happen again. I think their problem  is: they have excellent club teams but too many foreign players

Spain´s group is relatively easy but they have to be more concentrated as for WorldCup (i.e. at home against Bosnia 1:1 in 97.min. Bosnia had 3 players less at the end).

If they take it too easy this will happen again. I think their problem  is: they have excellent club teams but too many foreign players

Yeah, Spain thought our qualifiying group for Germany was so easy and we was very relaxed... The Spanish Football League is one of the best in the world and the players of this league are very good (e.g. Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Eto'o, Raúl, Bekcham, Robinho, Roberto Carlos...) but this players aren't Spanish... this is our problem...

Maybe, but Spain should still have enough to finish in the first two. I think the battle will be between Sweden and Denmark for the other place.

Spain will take the qualifying rounds more seriously than for the Euro 2004 and 2006 WC. Our big rival will be Sweden.

England's group is not easy at all.

You don't really believe that do you? No group would be easy, true, but I don't think we could have done much better.

Also, they've changed the rules for Euro qualifications. The top two automatically qualify now (it used to be first and then second went into the play-offs). That means all we have to do if finish ahead of one of Croatia or Russia. If we don't manage that then Allardyce/Curbishly/Hiddink/Pearce/Scholari (delete as appropriate) shouldn't have been given the England job in the first place.

England's group is not easy at all.

You don't really believe that do you? No group would be easy, true, but I don't think we could have done much better.

I agree, lets be honest this is an excellent draw for England, every England football fan saw this draw and felt happy for 2 reasons- firstly because England's group is easy and secondly because scxotland's group is so hard. France and italy will finish off Scotland no problem.

Do you dislike Scotland that much?

I would cheer on all Home Nations (and others), first England, then Wales and Northern Ireland (family connections), and then Greece (because I've been told to) and Ireland (other connections), then Scotland.

That would be the order of rank if they played each other, but I would cheer them all on.

Archived