Football EC 2008 Switzerland/Austria

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you dislike Scotland that much?

I would cheer on all Home Nations (and others), first England, then Wales and Northern Ireland (family connections), and then Greece (because I've been told to) and Ireland (other connections), then Scotland.

That would be the order of rank if they played each other, but I would cheer them all on.

It's not so much a case of disliking Scotland or Wales, it's just a bit of fun and teasing.

I mean when England lost to Portugal in 2004, a lot of Scots had a smirk on their face the next day. It's the same for us as well- knowing that they will have to get past France and Italy (nearly impossible) has put a smirk on our faces. In contrast we have the daunting task of facing FYR macedonia.....

When it comes down to it, there most definetly is solidarity between the home nations and we do want each other to do well.

There's no major hatred between the nations,  I mean nobody in scotland was laughing on July 7th when London's transport system was attacked. Similarly, no-one in England was glad when a plane was blown up over lockerbie in 1988.

I would just be careful poking fun now... because if it backfired...

Do you mean England losing to Northern ireland in the world cup qualifiers?

Hopefully the lesson was learnt and it was a much needed kick up the backside for the England team.

They went on to beat Argentina though, so hopefully the problem has been rectified.

It was not the intention to build this stadium as it now is. They had not enough money to complete the construction. Without help of government and UEFA they would have had real problems. There  were no real problems but only because of big support by UEFA. UEFA is the 3rd event after Olympics and Football WorldCup so the organisation should be of the same rank.

But what did they deliver? How about I tell you? They delivered high quality venues for a high quality tournament. Look at the two stadia in Lisbon - outstanding venues worthy of any major city in the world. Who cares about ultimate intentions? I care about ultimate delivery and you cannot claim they failed on that score.

I don´t want to critisize the tournament. It was a perfect tournament with perfect stadiums. But Portugal did it only with big help from EU and UEFA. The statement regarding the problems came from Martin Kallen, CEO of the organisation committee of the tournament. A person who should know what he is talking about.

Archived