Questions Remain

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Displacement

The Evaluation Report stated that 300 families will be uprooted for the Olympic Village venue. It was said that they were in "illegal settlements." Will any of the other bid cities displace people? One of Beijing's main criticisms was that it tried to cover up its problems instead of trying to solve them. I think this is a big risk for Rio as well.

White Elephants

With all the money spent on white elephant stadiums for the World Cup, what makes you think the same wouldn't be done for Olympic venues?

Crime

Around the time that the evaluation report was released, a shoot-out on a highway near Rio's airport caused the road to be closed down, and people were hiding behind their cars. Yet, the IOC report just called these things "challenges." No other bidding city has such rampant crime. It should be a bigger concern, as the Olympics are more spread out than Carnival and even the Pan Ams.

Lower Country Support

The Evaluation report listed support in the city at 85%, but country support was at 69%. It just shows how people outside Brazil have their doubts as well.

Lost Capital Status

If Rio is so great, why was it removed as the capital of Brazil in 1960?

Why the rush?

Brazil should take some more time to prepare, and not try to host MASSIVE events just two years apart. Believe me, it will go much better if Rio hosts in 2028 or beyond. Wake up IOC, Rio is too risky! There will be more chances for them to host, just not now. How can a country who did not even make the shortlist for 2012 be considered "able" just four years later?

[/color]

Just to remind this topic's subject.

I do not intend to convince that sarcastic guy who looks like an old woman complaining about anything.

But to bring the discussion to the point is started.

Displacement

The Evaluation Report stated that 300 families will be uprooted for the Olympic Village venue. It was said that they were in "illegal settlements." Will any of the other bid cities displace people? One of Beijing's main criticisms was that it tried to cover up its problems instead of trying to solve them. I think this is a big risk for Rio as well.

As already said, those families will have to be removed from that area, for their own safety, with or without SOG in Rio. The question is: since they have buit their houses in illegal houses, Justice can determinate them to be remove at any time and give the land back to the owners.

White Elephants

With all the money spent on white elephant stadiums for the World Cup, what makes you think the same wouldn't be done for Olympic venues?

Rio won´t build new stadia. The three ones in the city are used by clubs and their teams: São Januário by Vasco da Gama, JH by Botafogo and Maracanã by Flamengo and in the most important matches. So no white elephants. About olympic venues, there programs to develop olympic sports amongst youth.

Crime

Around the time that the evaluation report was released, a shoot-out on a highway near Rio's airport caused the road to be closed down, and people were hiding behind their cars. Yet, the IOC report just called these things "challenges." No other bidding city has such rampant crime. It should be a bigger concern, as the Olympics are more spread out than Carnival and even the Pan Ams.

If your info about Rio were updated from time to time, you would see the rates crimes deceasing. There are coordinated actions between the police and federal forces, as well as Brazilian Intelligence Service to fight drugdealers.

Lower Country Support

The Evaluation report listed support in the city at 85%, but country support was at 69%. It just shows how people outside Brazil have their doubts as well.

Don't know how you can consider these numbers a low support. In fact you said more: you said lower. You want unanimity? In a democracy? Come on.

Lost Capital Status

If Rio is so great, why was it removed as the capital of Brazil in 1960?

Capital City was removed to the Planalto Central, at the centre of the country. This was a strategy of national development decided by Emperor Pedro I. Nothing against Rio, but a question of national security. Something like Washington DC.

Why the rush?

Brazil should take some more time to prepare, and not try to host MASSIVE events just two years apart. Believe me, it will go much better if Rio hosts in 2028 or beyond. Wake up IOC, Rio is too risky! There will be more chances for them to host, just not now. How can a country who did not even make the shortlist for 2012 be considered "able" just four years later?

WC in 2014 maybe rather a guarantee that Rio 2016 will succeed. Infrastructuring will be already very close to the IOC requirements. Don't forget that if Rio already has venues on the ground. That also shows how a serious bid can change things. The world has changed a little the last year, haven't you realized?[/color]

FALSE, jj. For 1908, Rome withdrew its hosting duty because of the eruption of Vesuvius. So THEY WITHDREW as well and that was London's first fallback tour.

So do you suppose anyone is still alive that voted for Rome in the 1890"s ? One thing is clear Dr Haveloge was around for Denver as he became a member in 1963 LOL. He can remind the IOC membership for just who dropped the games because the citizen rose up and voted the games to leave America for 1976. gee Baron you think a volcano exploding is not a good reason to shift the games else where ?

Of course hey it works the other way with the saving of the games as well but if Chicago's citizens have their backs against the wall they will toss the games back. Rio Tokyo of Madrid I can t see that happening because really the games are a source of national pride where the US it is just another Olympics .

Jim jones

White Elephants

Rio won´t build new stadia. The three ones in the city are used by clubs and their teams: São Januário by Vasco da Gama, JH by Botafogo and Maracanã by Flamengo and in the most important matches. So no white elephants. About olympic venues, there programs to develop olympic sports amongst youth.

Why the rush?

Brazil should take some more time to prepare, and not try to host MASSIVE events just two years apart. Believe me, it will go much better if Rio hosts in 2028 or beyond. Wake up IOC, Rio is too risky! There will be more chances for them to host, just not now. How can a country who did not even make the shortlist for 2012 be considered "able" just four years later?[/color]

WC in 2014 maybe rather a guarantee that Rio 2016 will succeed. Infrastructuring will be already very close to the IOC requirements. Don't forget that if Rio already has venues on the ground. That also shows how a serious bid can change things. The world has changed a little the last year, haven't you realized?[/color]

'About olympic venues, there programs to develop olympic sports amongst youth', thats probably the model answer the IOC is looking for. I find it very hard to believe that Rio won't have whitre elephants after the games, that goes the same for the other three cities. Even successful games like Sydney and Beijing couldn't stop their venues from becoming white elephants what makes Rio so special ?

"Don't forget that if Rio already has venues on the ground. " - You obviously haven't been doing any research. Madrid has even more venues in place than Rio.

Madrid - 17 Ready, 6 in need of upgrading - 10 yet to be built (includes already planned venues)

Rio - 10 Ready, 8 in need of upgrading - 15 yet to be built

Tokyo - 15 Ready, 1 in need of upgrading, 16 yet to be built

Chicago 15 Ready, 16 yet to be built

Even Chicago and Tokyo aren't far behind compared to Rio. Not to mention that Chicago and Tokyo have more ready venues than Rio 15 each as opposed to Rio's 10. Thus, your arguement isn't strong.

PS, please read the evaluation report before you start commenting and making yourself look like an idiot.

'About olympic venues, there programs to develop olympic sports amongst youth', thats probably the model answer the IOC is looking for. I find it very hard to believe that Rio won't have whitre elephants after the games, that goes the same for the other three cities. Even successful games like Sydney and Beijing couldn't stop their venues from becoming white elephants what makes Rio so special ?

"Don't forget that if Rio already has venues on the ground. " - You obviously haven't been doing any research. Madrid has even more venues in place than Rio.

Madrid - 17 Ready, 6 in need of upgrading - 10 yet to be built (includes already planned venues)

Rio - 10 Ready, 8 in need of upgrading - 15 yet to be built

Tokyo - 15 Ready, 1 in need of upgrading, 16 yet to be built

Chicago 15 Ready, 16 yet to be built

Even Chicago and Tokyo aren't far behind compared to Rio. Not to mention that Chicago and Tokyo have more ready venues than Rio 15 each as opposed to Rio's 10. Thus, your arguement isn't strong.

PS, please read the evaluation report before you start commenting and making yourself look like an idiot.

Please, read my post again. The you tell me if you can find any mention to other bidding city. I never made comparison amongst them.I was replying to a post - the first post in this thread - that brings in it prejudice and no correct data about Rio.

Please, read my post again. The you tell me if you can find any mention to other bidding city. I never made comparison amongst them.I was replying to a post - the first post in this thread - that brings in it prejudice and no correct data about Rio.

Well then, what were you trying to say ? The fact that Rio has venues on the ground gives them at advantage ? Your last sentence "The world has changed a little the last year, haven't you realized?" seems as if you were trying to say that Rio has an advantage because with venues in place, little building is needed which is totally not true.

Why the rush?

[/color]WC in 2014 maybe rather a guarantee that Rio 2016 will succeed. Infrastructuring will be already very close to the IOC requirements. Don't forget that if Rio already has venues on the ground. That also shows how a serious bid can change things. The world has changed a little the last year, haven't you realized?[/color]

What I said about changes was linked to the crisis that affected countries all around the World. This, somehow, has brought changes in the international scenario. This doesn't mean that countries like the USA, Japan, and Spain are worse places to live nor that they are less important. But the perception that the differences between rich countries and coutries like Brazil, China, Russia, for example, have changed. They are more important now than they were before. Brazil, although being not the richest one, came out of the crisis before the others, is a democracy and a safe harbour to foreing investitors. I mean, before the crisis, there was a different perception about Brazil. After the crisis, this perception changed.

But, following your thought, yes, having some venues on the ground is a good thing to Rio. Or do you think this fact goes against the city?

This time you are the one who seems to read carefuly Rio Bid Book and the EC report. About infrastructuring, Rio is far away, the one planning to invest more. However, these investments will benefit the city for generations to come. If you make comparisson between what is planned to build venues for the games and investments which will benefit the city as a whole, you'll see my point.

This time, you are the one who needs to read carefully Rio Bid Book and the EC report. About infrastructuring, Rio is far away, the one planning to invest more. However, these investments will benefit the city for generations to come. If you make comparison between what is planned to build venues for the games and investments which will benefit the city as a whole, you'll see my point.

Archived