This Is My Dream Come True

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear 'Baron':

World Soccer Cup 1970 Mexico, Olympic Games of 1968 in Mexico City

World Soccer Cup 1974 West Germany, Olympic Games of 1972 Munich

World Soccer Cup 19994 USA, Olympic Games of 1996 Atlanta...

If Rio wins you will be welcome...

Andre, we've been thru all that before. Look at old posts.

For the nth time, the comparison is no longer valid.

Andre, we've been thru all that before. Look at old posts.

For the nth time, the comparison is no longer valid.

Ok, this is not a comparision, but shows that is possible (and sometime desirable) a city host the WC and the Olympcs, all the structure of transportation, hotel sector (like the a new line of fundingfrom BNDES, which may reach US$160 million), that is necessary for the WC can be used by the Olympics games too...

Ok, this is not a comparision, but shows that is possible (and sometime desirable) a city host the WC and the Olympcs, all the structure of transportation, hotel sector (like the a new line of fundingfrom BNDES, which may reach US$160 million), that is necessary for the WC can be used by the Olympics games too...

Well, look at the Evaluation Report. The IOC is leery of it.

Dear 'Baron':

World Soccer Cup 19994 USA, Olympic Games of 1996 Atlanta...

Once again, this comparison is not justfied and inaccurate. First, the world cup was much smaller back then, 16 in '70 & '74 and 24 in '94 compared to 32 in 2014. The same applies to the Olympics. Also, Atlanta didn't host any matches in 1994, thus it is inaccurate to compare that.

In the other two cases of Mexico & West Germany, both competitions only involved 5 and 9 stadias repectively compared to 12 in Brazil. Bearing in mind that all stadias in Brazil need to be built or upgraded, does Brazil have the money to that in addition to the building the infrastructure for Rio 2016 ?

So please, quit being myopic in your arguements.

It's not totally myopic. It's a fair enough point - as are the concerns about the WC as well. Obviously, the 2014-2016 double is an issue. But I think it has positives as well as negatives.

Sure it's different times, but in it's favour, to me, is the fact that the WC 2014 in Brazil is already a signed and sealed hosting, it will happen, and it will happen first (rather than as an encore, as in the past Mexico and W Germany examples). It ensures so much of what's gonna be needed for Rio 2016 has to already be ready by that date 2 years earlier.

Marketing and sponsorships seem to be the big concerns mentioned in the whole issue. Like the IOC Report, I probably believe that issue is manageable, as long as a Rio OCOG accepts they can't do it all by themselves and accept help and advice on the way.

The other old issue about the WC, too, was that quote from some un-named IOC member that they "want to Olympics to be the main course, not the dessert" (or however it went. Honestly, I think we're already seeing the possibility of Rio hosting the games attracting a lot more attention and interest than when Brazil was being awarded the 2014 WC (which was pretty much a non-event, I seem to recall). I think if anything, that sort of interest already building shows that if anyone should be pissed of, it should be FIFA for having awarded a hosting that could now end-up being seen as a test event, rather than the end-highlight. Still, the Brazilian crowd support and enthusiasm are sure to ensure 2014 will be a memorable event, whatever happens two years later

Dear 'Baron':

World Soccer Cup 1994 USA, Olympic Games of 1996 Atlanta...

It is important to remember this fact, because some people here have amnesia.

It is important to remember this fact, because some people here have amnesia.

...no, people just don't look at surface level comparisons. Keep in mind, the only time the IOC made a decision to pick a country where they knew the WC would be played two years prior was in the U.S. Mexico and Germany were chosen by FIFA after the IOC voted.

Atlanta hosted no matches, and most U.S. cities, transport and accommodation were already in place and sponsorships and the market were not that difficult. Keep in mind, the IOC has had some difficulty with sponsorships (so it is in the forefront of their thinking).

I don't believe this is a big issue for Rio, but it is an issue nonetheless, and to ignore that is not being realistic.

Let's we see.

The final match of the World Cup of 2014, probably will be in Rio, in Maracanã stadium (also used for 2016)

http://www.brasildacopadomundo.com.br/wp-c...ovomaracana.jpg

the Midia Center for 2014 will be also in Rio, in Barra da Tijuca district:

http://www.brasildacopadomundo.com.br/wp-c...demidia2014.jpg

New lines and stations for the subway and Urban trains, area also UNDER CONTRUCTION NOW for the 2014 WC.

http://riodejaneiro.spaceblog.com.br/image/1243824618.jpg/

The international airport , also have ampliations:

http://riodejaneiro.spaceblog.com.br/image/1244076573.jpg/

The hotels:

Rio have 23,ooo rooms in condictions wished by the FIFA, every year gains 1.000 rooms. But the investments of the sector for 2014 represents others 7,500 rooms for 2.014...

Those costs are all for 2014 WC and can be used by 2016 too, those ARE NOT DOUBLE COSTS but one cost for TWO events!

Those costs are all for 2014 WC and can be used by 2016 too, those ARE NOT DOUBLE COSTS but one cost for TWO events!

Many here thinks all day in things like "double costs", "Does Brazil have money to both", "poverty, favelas, social"...

to say "Rio can't"...

PS: You forgot subway lines... Maybe Rio needs to build one subway system for each events... :lol:

Many here thinks all day in things like "double costs", "Does Brazil have money to both", "poverty, favelas, social"...

to say "Rio can't"...

PS: You forgot subway lines... Maybe Rio needs to build one subway system for each events... :lol:

Yes, all of those people thinks like a person from 1940's...Brazil, Carmen Miranda, Pele, Buenos Aires...They don't know about the economy with Us$ 2 TRILLIONS (PPP) sized and foreign reserves of US$ 210 billions, only a brazilian state like São Paulo have a GDP of US$ 500 BILLIONS, the same of the Argentinian; Rio's GDP is around US$ 200 BILLIONS the size of the Israeli one.

Brazil is the 4 th biggest creditor of US debt, with 5% of all the american debt.

The problem can't be money; if it's sayed priorities, OK it's a valid argument, but lack of money, no!

Yes, all of those people thinks like a person from 1940's...Brazil, Carmen Miranda, Pele, Buenos Aires...They don't know about the economy with Us$ 2 TRILLIONS (PPP) sized and foreign reserves of US$ 210 billions, only a brazilian state like São Paulo have a GDP of US$ 500 BILLIONS, the same of the Argentinian; Rio's GDP is around US$ 200 BILLIONS the size of the Israeli one.

Brazil is the 4 th biggest creditor of US debt, with 5% of all the american debt.

The problem can't be money; if it's sayed priorities, OK it's a valid argument, but lack of money, no!

That's it... many here seem to think like a person from the 40's.... specially the stupid ones like this Baron, the Phil' boy who thinks he comes from a rich country.

I largely agree. If Rio 2016 wins the day the Brazilians will ensure that all the Rio venues for the 2014 World Cup are finished first and to the highest standard. It's win-win.

Let's we see.

The final match of the World Cup of 2014, probably will be in Rio, in Maracanã stadium (also used for 2016)

http://www.brasildacopadomundo.com.br/wp-c...ovomaracana.jpg

the Midia Center for 2014 will be also in Rio, in Barra da Tijuca district:

http://www.brasildacopadomundo.com.br/wp-c...demidia2014.jpg

New lines and stations for the subway and Urban trains, area also UNDER CONTRUCTION NOW for the 2014 WC.

http://riodejaneiro.spaceblog.com.br/image/1243824618.jpg/

The international airport , also have ampliations:

http://riodejaneiro.spaceblog.com.br/image/1244076573.jpg/

The hotels:

Rio have 23,ooo rooms in condictions wished by the FIFA, every year gains 1.000 rooms. But the investments of the sector for 2014 represents others 7,500 rooms for 2.014...

Yes, but $14 billion spent on the Olympics is still $14 billion not spent on somewhere/something else which may have higher priorities. Producing statistics like how big your GDP is or how much the US owes money to Brazil won't really matter much. I mean, look at how Chicago residents have asked tough questions regarding finance. The questions have also forced the Chicago Committee to craft a responsible and sensible financial plan--and to think that these same residents live in the country with the highest GDP in the world. For statistics sake, the Chicago metropolitan area (not including the state of Illinois' GDP) is even comparable to another country's GDP of $500 billion. At the end of the day, we know our country's rich (GDP-wise), but money spent here is still money not spent somewhere else.

Yes, but $14 billion spent on the Olympics is still $14 billion not spent on somewhere/something else which may have higher priorities. Producing statistics like how big your GDP is or how much the US owes money to Brazil won't really matter much. I mean, look at how Chicago residents have asked tough questions regarding finance. The questions have also forced the Chicago Committee to craft a responsible and sensible financial plan--and to think that these same residents live in the country with the highest GDP in the world. For statistics sake, the Chicago metropolitan area (not including the state of Illinois' GDP) is even comparable to another country's GDP of $500 billion. At the end of the day, we know our country's rich (GDP-wise), but money spent here is still money not spent somewhere else.

Correct, so we can agree in a point, it's a question of priorities, not the lack of money at all, so is a political question not a economical question, and, like any democratic country, who decides is the people, and in Rio the people decided to host the games.

The same is valid to Chicago, the people is who have to define their own priorities...

Correct, so we can agree in a point, it's a question of priorities, not the lack of money at all, so is a political question not a economical question, and, like any democratic country, who decides is the people, and in Rio the people decided to host the games.

The same is valid to Chicago, the people is who have to define their own priorities...

But, there are people here discussing Rio de Janeiro's budget living 8,000 miles far from Brazil...

But, there are people here discussing Rio de Janeiro's budget living 8,000 miles far from Brazil...

Danny,

Budgets are objective pieces of information so people do not have to live in Brazil to discuss it. Just living in a country does not make a person an authority on it. Does a person have to live in Hollywood to discuss the movies that come out of it?

Danny,

Budgets are objective pieces of information so people do not have to live in Brazil to discuss it. Just living in a country does not make a person an authority on it. Does a person have to live in Hollywood to discuss the movies that come out of it?

Oakydoky,

The budget of Rio de Janeiro is decided by carioca... You can criticize us if we prefer to spend money in SOG than fix social issues (we, Brazilians don't believe in simply give money to people), but at the end, it's our money, we spend it with what we want...

Thinking your way, why should not Spain uses their money to solve their big unemployment rates??? I don't care... It's Spain's problem.

And if Madrid wins I'm sure Olympic Games can recude those rates

But as I said, I don't care about Spanish money...

Gosh... did you guys read the evaluation report????? I mean, it's really exaustive that the SAME stuff is being said everywhere around here... it really sounds tremendously ignorant from you.... AS THE IOC HAS STATED, Rio can benefit a lot from the investments made for the OLYMPIC games..... not only in terms of infra-structure but also regarding social legacy. It's there... you just have to read. Besides... only 30% of the investmes will be made exclusively if Rio wins the right of hosting in 2016... the other 70% are investiments that are already being made and will be made in the next years.... so this "THEY ARE SO POOR AND MISERABLE THEY SHOULD BE INVESTING IN OTHER THINGS" card isn't actually true. Try to pick another one.

Danny,

No, but it doesn't matter to you. Only to Brazilian citizens..

OH I forgot!!!! They are helping us because down here we don't know how to deal with budgets!!! How could I forget? We have to thank you guys so much for giving us your great expertise in the matter........ thanks, thanks!!! I forgot we don't have the right of deciding by our own because the rich countries should do it for us... like IMF has tried to do all over the last decade and the beggining of this... dear, just have to tell you that Brazil doesn't owe A THING for the IMF or any other country or institution anymore... we can deal properly with our own subjects and don't need your ignorant adivices.... the IOC also recognizes that... that's why they have stated the possible legacy that the games should leave for Rio. As I said, try to pick another card.

Oakydoky,

The budget of Rio de Janeiro is decided by carioca... You can criticize us if we prefer to spend money in SOG than fix social issues (we, Brazilians don't believe in simply give money to people), but at the end, it's our money, we spend it with what we want...

Thinking your way, why should not Spain uses their money to solve their big unemployment rates??? I don't care... It's Spain's problem.

And if Madrid wins I'm sure Olympic Games can recude those rates

But as I said, I don't care about Spanish money...

Danny,

You said people who do not live in Brazil should not comment on Rio. I pointed out how that is stupid. An international sporting event is for all the world and so attracts critiques from everyone.

I didn't even mention anything to do with social issues or the like. I merely questioned why you said people who do not live in Brazil should not talk about Rio.

No, but it doesn't matter to you. Only to Brazilian citizens..

OH I forgot!!!! They are helping us because down here we don't know how to deal with budgets!!! How could I forget? We have to thank you guys so much for giving us your great expertise in the matter........ thanks, thanks!!! I forgot we don't have the right of deciding by our own because the rich countries should do it for us... like IMF has tried to do all over the last decade and the beggining of this... dear, just have to tell you that Brazil doesn't owe A THING for the IMF or any other country or institution anymore... we can deal properly with our own subjects and don't need your ignorant adivices.... the IOC also recognizes that... that's why they have stated the possible legacy that the games should leave for Rio. As I said, try to pick another card.

Why are you being so angry?

Remember, this is a public forum for all to comment on. If you don't like people talking about Rio then stick to talkin about the city in your own living room as opposed to on a forum like this.

Anyway, you have ignorantly dismissed my point. Dannelbrazil said people who do not live in Brazil should not talk about it - I replied that people are free to talk about Rio since they are discussing objective issues likes Budgets etc and so being a Brazilian native does not give someone an advantage in discussions of that nature.

Again, I never attacked Brazil so go and rant to someone else mate and stop getting so angry at people making valid points. I never told anyone how to do anything or mentioned anything to do with Rio in my post above so why did you just rant like that Thorb? Please keep your responses proportionate to what I am saying and don't just go into auto pilot rant mode at anyone who posts.

You said people who do not live in Brazil should not comment on Rio.

No I didn't...

You can criticize us if we prefer to spend money in SOG than fix social issues (we, Brazilians don't believe in simply give money to people), but at the end, it's our money, we spend it with what we want...

You can criticize everything you want...

At the end, the money will be spent in what cariocas want... If we doesn't have SOG, probably Rio will earn less money, so we will spend it in much smaller things...

Archived