France Supports Rio 2016

President Sarkozy announced today in Brasília, during the celebration of the Brazilian Indepence Day, that France supports Rio de Janeiro's bid for the 2016 Olympic Games. He also asked Brazil to back France's proposal to host the 2018 winter games.

Except France DIDN'T back it. :lol:

Again, you CAN'T see the differences in these races where those matter.

Go to the back of the class, Danny.

You americans have something against France that I really didn't get yet...

Well, USA was a loser last round too... So Chicago.......................

Actually it was worse for the USA Danny the US held with tradition for 2012 not even getting to the final round of voting and did a bit better then most only going to the second round out of four rounds.

The Last two round for 2012 was a choice of three European capital cities . Paris, Madrid and London.

So for Chicago what will it be ? They will go to the last round vs Rio with Madrid out in round one and Tokyo out in round Two .

Jim jones

Actually it was worse for the USA Danny the US held with tradition for 2012 not even getting to the final round of voting and did a bit better then most only going to the second round out of four rounds.

The Last two round for 2012 was a choice of three European capital cities . Paris, Madrid and London.

So for Chicago what will it be ? They will go to the last round vs Rio with Madrid out in round one and Tokyo out in round Two .

Jim jones

You guys can call me crazy...

But I still think Rio can win in FIRST round...

Call me crazy, I know it's very very very very hard to happen, but it's my opinion!!!

Calling Patsy Kline...

Crazy, crazy for feelin' blue

LOL...

I've told here before... This is not the Olympic Idol...

and I'm a bad singer... (Maybe I'm one of those "bad singers" in Rio promotional video) LOL 2

Everything is possible. I don't know whether President Sarcozy is just trying to look friendly to Brazil in a very important moment of Brazil-France commercial relation or being honest in his words. If the second possibility is the correct one, it remains the doubt: will French voters be influenced by Sarcozy. Another question, what kind of support outside its boundaries France can give Brazil? Any influence in Europe or Africa?

I think supporting Rio is good for any possible European bidding country, but Spain. Having the games outside Europe in 2016 is vital for any future European bid. Paris included. If the games happen in a frontier country in 2016 - and this is the case if Rio is chosen - and this frontier being the South American Continent - then that will be easier to have them back in Europe by 2020/2024.

Inside Europe, Rio de Janeiro's fate is linked to Madrid's. If Madrid succeeds, Rio fails, and vice-versa.

Everything is possible. I don't know whether President Sarcozy is just trying to look friendly to Brazil in a very important moment of Brazil-France commercial relation or being honest in his words. If the second possibility is the correct one, it remains the doubt: will French voters be influenced by Sarcozy. Another question, what kind of support outside its boundaries France can give Brazil? Any influence in Europe or Africa?

I think supporting Rio is good for any possible European bidding country, but Spain. Having the games outside Europe in 2016 is vital for any future European bid. Paris included. If the games happen in a frontier country in 2016 - and this is the case if Rio is chosen - and this frontier being the South American Continent - then that will be easier to have them back in Europe by 2020/2024.

Inside Europe, Rio de Janeiro's fate is linked to Madrid's. If Madrid succeeds, Rio fails, and vice-versa.

Let's face it, it is not Europe's turn. If it was, you would see a bunch of major European cities on the race, Paris included. Just analysing geopolitics, I think Rio will have a strong support from European NOC leaders. Africa may be split since there is the dual effect of postponing a South African Olympics, despite strengthening new frontiers. Asia is a big question mark for me, while Latam countries might be divided, with the majority supporting Rio.

But the IOC is a pretty diverse group with people from different backgrounds and defending different interests, so it is tough to predict without doing an analysis on each voter.

You guys can call me crazy...

But I still think Rio can win in FIRST round...

Call me crazy, I know it's very very very very hard to happen, but it's my opinion!!!

That IS crazy. The first round might be the closest rounds in my opinion.

Let's face it, it is not Europe's turn. If it was, you would see a bunch of major European cities on the race, Paris included. Just analysing geopolitics, I think Rio will have a strong support from European NOC leaders. Africa may be split since there is the dual effect of postponing a South African Olympics, despite strengthening new frontiers. Asia is a big question mark for me, while Latam countries might be divided, with the majority supporting Rio.

But the IOC is a pretty diverse group with people from different backgrounds and defending different interests, so it is tough to predict without doing an analysis on each voter.

Perfect!!!

Actually, Soaring, a lot of the overconfidence Rio is showing at this stage is pretty much where Paris was 4 years ago...so I would go along with what ever the Cariocas psot, think and feel. History repeats itself most times anyway.

No, Baron, based in everything here I'm SURE Rio will lose...

Don't call me overconfident in a Rio victory, please!

Aluz,

I agree, it's not Europe turn. If it happens Madrid to be chosen, that will be the whole proccess the greatest surprise. I focused my concer much more on Sarcozy - and France, of course - influence on Europe voters. Question is what they can do to support Rio? I agree - in fact I also said this - Sapin will not have support form European countries.

Surely vote-trading ("we'll vote vote for you if you vote for us") would lose bids votes from IOC members of the rival countries in the opposite respective bid campaigns?

So if France votes Brazil, so that Brazil votes France... surely that would lose Brazil the votes from members in Germany, Korea, Switzerland etc and France the votes from member in USA, Japan and Spain, no?

That IS crazy. The first round might be the closest rounds in my opinion.

Let me be crazy... Be crazy is funny...

Baron is funny...

I can be crazy...

Drems are made to be dreamed... So respect my dreams...

LOL

(I know it's almost impossible... almost... LOL)

Archived