France Backs Rio's 2016 Bid

Bezzi

Annecy's biggest 2018 problem is Annecy. Should have chosen Nice.

Nice should have done its homework. All sources indicate that Nice produced a poor file with a lack of detailed information in several key areas.

Also, the idea of a single Olympic village was ridiculous and showed little understanding of what is needed to stage an Olympics: could have been fixed of course, but did not help gaining votes within the CNOSF.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sarkozy actually stated that the French Olympic Committee will vote for Rio... and he said so, cause he got this information. It's simple... it isn't simple a matter of a presidente WISHING the delegates will vote so... he was actually told so!

Sarkozy actually stated that the French Olympic Committee will vote for Rio... and he said so, cause he got this information. It's simple... it isn't simple a matter of a presidente WISHING the delegates will vote so... he was actually told so!

:blink:

The French National Olympic Committee does not vote...

The 2 IOC Members in France (Killy and Drut) will vote but they certainly do not receive voting instructions from the French President (besides, secret ballot so noone will ever know who they vote for)

P.S. That was a joke Danny!

I lived in UK and learned to better digest sarcastic humor. I actually like it! :D

It is not very appreciated down here (Brazil) though... :(

I suggest that you make moderate use of it with Brazilians.

Or not... :P

I lived in UK and learned to better digest sarcastic humor. I actually like it! :D

It is not very appreciated down here (Brazil) though... :(

I suggest that you make moderate use of it with Brazilians.

Or not... :P

Fair enough - although I did state it was a joke!

It's interesting how humour differs in various parts of the world though!

Other interesting news from the Sarkozy visit to Brazil:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/wo...0,5843260.story

Stepping up an aggressive plan to fortify the defense of its valuable natural resources, Brazil said Monday that it had entered into a billion-dollar-plus agreement to buy 36 French fighter jets.

The deal was announced in a statement issued by Presidents Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva of Brazil and Nicolas Sarkozy of France, who together took part in Brazil's Independence Day ceremonies in Brasilia. The precise value of the aircraft sale was not released pending final agreement on the terms but observers estimate its value at more than $2 billon.

The French aircraft manufacturer Dassault beat out US manufacturer Boeing and the Swedish aircraft company Saab in the closely watched bidding for one of the larger defense plums in recent years.

Over the last two years Brazil has announced the discovery of huge offshore oil reserves called Pre-salt in ultra-deep waters of the Atlantic that could make it a major global exporter and, according to Lula, finance its ascension to first world status.

The nation also has immense natural resources -- including timber, gold and uranium -- in its Amazon region that reportedly are being exploited illegally by groups said to include the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, a leftist guerrilla group.

So--an announcement for a multi-billion dollar deal coincides with a Sarkozy's agreement to support Rio 2016 and discussions about access to oil resources?

This was in addition to Sarkozy's request for support for France 2018:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14949

President Sarkozy announced today in Brasília, during the celebration of the Brazilian Indepence Day, that France supports Rio de Janeiro's bid for the 2016 Olympic Games. He also asked Brazil to back France's proposal to host the 2018 winter games.

Is there any chance Sarkozy's support for Rio 2016 is based on the merits of the bid?

CHItown '16

Are you asking whether the President of France has read the Evaluation Report? :P I don't think foreign leaders from countries which aren't bidding will get involved in Olympic politics without good reason. No surprises here.

But, as we've said, whether he is able to control the French IOC members is a different question.

Is there any chance Sarkozy's support for Rio 2016 is based on the merits of the bid?

For regular people outside this forum, it only matter if the olympic opening ceremony will have samba, flamenco, oboes or some Beyoncé...

So--an announcement for a multi-billion dollar deal coincides with a Sarkozy's agreement to support Rio 2016 and discussions about access to oil resources?

CHItown '16

Well dah!! <_<

Of course there is quid pro quo. Quite frankly if the price to pay to finally sell the Rafale is to publicly support Rio's bid, then it's a good deal.

Come on, do you think that the US supporting PC ahead of Vancouver for 2010 had anything to do with the respective merits of the bids??

Well dah!! <_<

Of course there is quid pro quo. Quite frankly if the price to pay to finally sell the Rafale is to publicly support Rio's bid, then it's a good deal.

Come on, do you think that the US supporting PC ahead of Vancouver for 2010 had anything to do with the respective merits of the bids??

Alright.

If there was a deal with South Korea over PyeongChang, the US doesn't appear to have benefited much from it. Just reading GamesBids since the beginning of last year, there is still considerable praise about the PyeongChang bids so an objectively positive response isn't out of the question.

The most important South Korean concerns to the US--North Korea, trade, and military presence--encountered new difficulties as a result of the 2003 South Korean elections:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roh_Moo-hyun

Roh's election was notable for the arrival to power of a new generation in Korean politics, the so-called 386 Generation, (i.e. people in their thirties when the word was coined, who had attended university in the 1980s, and who were born in the 1960s).[7][8] This generation had been veterans of student protests against authoritarian rule, and advocated an assertively nationalist line towards the United States and Japan, and a conciliatory approach towards North Korea. They took up many positions on Roh's staff.[9]
Conflict would continue throughout his presidency, which was characterized by continual labor unrest,[11][12][13] personal feuds with the media, and diplomatic friction with the United States[14] and Japan. Many of Roh's seemingly reckless political campaigns, including a plan to move the capital, and a plan to form a coalition with the opposition, also fizzled.

Trade with South Korea increased from $61 billion in 2003 to about $73 billion in 2008 (an increase of about 12%).

The US and Canada traded about $391 billion in 2003. In 2008, trade rose to about $600 billion (a 50% increase). The dominant Canadian party, the Conservative Party, known by some as Canada's Republican Party, won the 2004 election and, according to some reports, even caused a temporary stumble in the US Democratic Presidential Primary (the opponent of the Republic Party holding the U.S. Presidency in 2003):

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/us/politics/04nafta.html

According to the writer of the memorandum, Joseph De Mora, a Canadian political and economic affairs consular officer, Professor Goolsbee assured them that Mr. Obama’s protectionist stand on the trail was “more reflective of political maneuvering than policy.”

It also said the professor had assured the Canadians that Mr. Obama’s language “should be viewed as more about political positioning than a clear articulation of policy plans.”

Nevertheless, the controversy, which drew fierce attacks from Mrs. Clinton and Senator John McCain, the likely Republican nominee, put Mr. Obama’s campaign on the defensive at a crucial moment. He and Mrs. Clinton are locked in a tight battle for the Ohio primary on Tuesday.

It's possible that the US decided that supporting a Canadian bid wouldn't result in any net benefit and that supporting PyeongChang could mitigate the anti-Americanism displayed by the 2003 election but I would doubt these considerations were a significant factor.

CHItown '16

I'll send the trophy to you in the post.

What is the address of your Favela?

Well, I live in Sao Paulo

Paulistas here, just a joke... or not...

So there are no favelas in São Paulo?

Joke accepted! :P

Don't worry Dannyel...

Oakydoky, as a good scotsman, is probably too drunk to make any sense with his words... :lol:

See? Sarcarsm and stereotypes serving humor...

PS: We know São Paulo also HAS favelas... ;)

Wow Sarkozy's egomania knows no bounds. I suspect what he's saying isn't surprising, but I don't think for a minute that Lula and Nico's tête-à-tête had anything to do with it. But if Rio gets it expect Sarko to take credit within 24 hours....

Nice should have done its homework. All sources indicate that Nice produced a poor file with a lack of detailed information in several key areas.

Also, the idea of a single Olympic village was ridiculous and showed little understanding of what is needed to stage an Olympics: could have been fixed of course, but did not help gaining votes within the CNOSF.

I currently live in Cannes, which is basically the same thing as living Nice (20 mins apart), since they are in the same department. Nice 2018 had problems with support and, probably, would have a tough time putting up a sound proposal.

Ski resorts are around 1h away from Nice and the largest of them, Isola 2000, is very unatractive. And, frankly, who would think of winter sports when it comes to the most prestigious summer destination in the Mediterranean?

Annecy is a very beautiful and organized alpine city. The ski resorts around it are closer and get more frequent snow falls. It would fit a much better host for the WOG.

CHItown '16

Do you know anything about politicians? Of course they are not basing support on the bid. There are much more to it. Brazil and France have been stregthening their relationship for quite some time. This year is the year of France in Brazil as a couple of years ago it was the year of Brazil in France. They are just rubbing each other backs and giving somthing to the public.

So there are no favelas in São Paulo?

Joke accepted! :P

Don't worry Dannyel...

Oakydoky, as a good scotsman, is probably too drunk to make any sense with his words... :lol:

See? Sarcarsm and stereotypes serving humor...

PS: We know São Paulo also HAS favelas... ;)

Lol :lol:

Glad to see one Brazilian poster can joke!

P.S. Dannyelbrazil - take note!

Do you know anything about politicians? Of course they are not basing support on the bid. There are much more to it. Brazil and France have been stregthening their relationship for quite some time. This year is the year of France in Brazil as a couple of years ago it was the year of Brazil in France. They are just rubbing each other backs and giving somthing to the public.

Politicians announcing agreements is one thing. As our President says, politics isn't bean bag.

Politicians directing the votes and decisions of an independent body is another.

Particularly an independent body that has created an intricate and balanced process to define a fair means to provide information to make a decision.

If this competition hinged on the size of contracts with IOC member countries, the whole process from Evaluation Committee Report to the presentations in Lausanne to the discussions with individual IOC members to the venue tours to the bid books and the Candidate City/Applicant City proposals is much less meaningful. Better to just tally up the totals of targeted contracts, present the list to IOC members, and have them vote for the city committing the highest total to the member's country.

Unless, of course, it's more important to discuss the storyline of a fictional TV show episode that was not even mentioned in this forum until 4 months after its initial broadcast.

As far as I'm concerned, if you write or talk like a George W. Bush Republican, I'll respond to you like you're a George W. Bush Republican.

CHItown '16

I can joke,.. But, it's worldwidely known, that it's not easy to understand British jokes...

It's a unique humour...

Well, stop being so quick to jump on people and call them prejudice. It's possible things can get lost in translation.

Anyway, you called me prejudice when I explicitly stated what I said about France supporting Rio was a joke - that's my point!

Well, stop being so quick to jump on people and call them prejudice. It's possible things can get lost in translation.

Anyway, you called me prejudice when I explicitly stated what I said about France supporting Rio was a joke - that's my point!

You told... aff... ok

perfect oakydoky...

tired of arguing with you...

Go ahead!

Truely unique. They gave us Monty Python.

You told... aff... ok

perfect oakydoky...

tired of arguing with you...

Go ahead!

Danny, I wasn't ever arguing with you but if you viewed your dialogue with me in those terms then that is really sad!

I only ever thought you were out of line in your 'prejudice' naming statements but I have nothing against you!

Até logo

Archived