France Backs Rio's 2016 Bid

Bezzi

BRASILIA (AFP) - French President Nicolas Sarkozy said Monday his country backed the bid by Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics against competition from Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo.

"France supports Rio's candidacy for 2016. All our votes are yours, and we hope it happens," he told a joint news conference with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva in Brasilia, where he was attending Brazil's Independence Day celebrations.

"It would be great for Brazil and Latin America," said Sarkozy.

Sarkozy then joked to his counterpart: "And in the event that it won't compete with Brazil's ski resorts, we hope we'll get your support for Annecy for the 2018 Winter Games."

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will announce the winning city on October 2, in Copenhagen.

Lula, who has helped Rio surge to be frontrunner alongside Chicago, is to attend.

In an interview with AFP last week, the Brazilian leader said he had made a deal with Spain's King Juan Carlos for mutual support in the IOC's voting rounds.

"We made a deal: if Brazil isn't in the second round, it can support Spain; but if Spain isn't in, it votes for Brazil. It's an honest game," he said.

Our president is engaged to bring the games to Brazil. He will be in Conpenhagen to bring more votes!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our president is engaged to bring the games to Brazil. He will be in Conpenhagen to bring more votes!

I heard Sarkozy only supports Rio because he was promised by the Brazilian federation a sexy lap dance from one of Rio's hottest 'hoes' next time he visits.

Anyway, good luck to Brasil in their vote fixing! :D

I heard Sarkozy only supports Rio because he was promised by the Brazilian federation a sexy lap dance from one of Rio's hottest 'hoes' next time he visits.

C'mon - London had the same deal with Madrid. And they all do it - it's quid pro quo - do a favour now and we'll repay it down the track.

Hmmm...does Sarkozy speak for the French IOC members? :blink:

Hmmm...does Sarkozy speak for the French IOC members? :blink:

Exactly, as well. The IOC always like to portray themselves as IOC Members "IN" particular counties, rather than France's (or whoever's) delegate in the IOC. You never know, they might actualky get stroppy being told by the government who to vote for.

Gosh man... prejudice, prejudice, prejudice.... and offence, of course.... when we read something like this, and get to know what some tv shows are desperatly doing, we can realize that Chicago is really desperate.... It's really disrespectful of you to say that Sarkozy would gete a lap dance from one hoe... you have explicity implied that Brazilian women are hoes... you suck men...

Let's see what happens setember 2nd... then we talk again.

It can definately influence the voters, most of us here agree Rio seems to be the front runner at this point. So Sarkozy is taking the advantage and gaining support, stregthening a future French bid, which is likely to go to the Northern Hemisphere after a Rio victory.

You are becoming a stronger contender for the most silly here...

Gosh man... prejudice, prejudice, prejudice.... and offence, of course.... when we read something like this, and get to know what some tv shows are desperatly doing, we can realize that Chicago is really desperate.... It's really disrespectful of you to say that Sarkozy would gete a lap dance from one hoe... you have explicity implied that Brazilian women are hoes... you suck men...

Sense of humour bypass

Can't say that some IOC members aren't controlled by their NOC or government. But just because Sarkozy says they should vote for Rio does not mean they will.

President Sarkozy is just talking for himself and its government not for the French NOC or the French IOC members. May be, this "agreement" will involve the support of the French ambassadors allaround the world to give the good parole !

May be, Guy Drut, could follow Sarkozy. Drut is a politician close to former President Jacques Chirac, & close to UMP the Sarkozy political movement. Drut was inside the Evaluation Commission, so may be he would support Rio...

Jean-Claude Killy is totally independant... well involved in the IOC... No real idea for which city he could vote....

And by the way, the French NOC has no control on its IOC members....

French members will vote Tokyo or Madrid....OR to boost Annecy 2018, will vote Rio or Chicago(chee-kar-go...as nawal says it)

On what are you basing your affirmation ???

Maybe French IOC members doesn't vote for Rio, but we need to recognize that Sarkozy statement can boost the "presidential race"...

Now it's

Obama for Chicago

Lula + Sarkozy for Rio...

You are becoming a stronger contender for the most silly here...

Danny,

You really need to learn to take a joke mate!

As I have pointed out, I made that comment in relation to the article that was posted in order to lighten the mood a bit and have a little banter! Instead of having a laugh you have chosen to get all high and mighty about it.

Danny, I am officially nominating you for the person with the worst sense of humour! :D

Not what I said at all. Please actually read my comment before 'interpreting' it to suit your own little rant.

I made a jokey comment in relation to an article posted about the French supporting Rio. That is all. It was done to lighten the mood. I wasn't actually referring to the NBC thing.

Further, I never said all Brazilian women are 'hoes'. Please find me the exact quote where I said all Brazilian women are hoes. Mate, try getting a sense of humour!

Prejudice? Get lost mate. It was clearly a joke whose effect has been lost on you. Don't label everyone who makes a comment about Rio as 'prejudice' as that just makes you look silly.

Is no-one allowed to make jokes or is the Rio Gestapo going to get all pissy whenever someone does?

Danny,

You really need to learn to take a joke mate!

As I have pointed out, I made that comment in relation to the article that was posted in order to lighten the mood a bit and have a little banter! Instead of having a laugh you have chosen to get all high and mighty about it.

Danny, I am officially nominating you for the person with the worst sense of humour! :D

I hope to win the trophy... LOL

(Ops... I've just lost my nomination)

Archived