Rio 2016 Unhappy With New Episode Of Law & Order

____

Rio 2016 unhappy with new episode of Law & Order, aired Thursday

...in which an IOC member who voted Tokyo is murdered by a man who is promised a big security contract by Rio 2016 if they win the vote. It apparantly turns out the Brazilian authorities paid him to kill the IOC member.

A badly translated blog article (this news hasn't hit the English speaking media yet)....

The Bid Committee Rio-2016 has retaliated to the attack from the United States. Organizers of Rio de Janeiro issued an application note which repudiate the episode of "Law & Order", aired on Thursday.

In the crime drama, a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) was murdered for having voted in Tokyo to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016.

Arrested, the murderer confessed that he committed the crime after striking a deal with the Brazilian authorities. After all, if the river was the host city chosen, the killer would be responsible for the security of the Games.

"For the episode of the series appears in the U.S. by USA Network and the AXN channel in Brazil, which used the name of the Brazilian candidacy to the Olympics, the 2016 Rio committee expresses its condemnation of the irresponsible and reckless use of the image of the Brazilian candidate, lying on the campaign to host the 2016 Olympic Games. The committee based its action in this dispute in ethics, integrity and full respect for their competitors, "he wrote in a note to Rio in 2016.

:blink:

Is this the 2016 race's "Panorama" moment? :lol:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very stupid, and they should have used fictional bids from cities that weren't in the running, but it's all meaningless froth in the grand scheme of things.

Although it would be funny (ridiculous) if this blew up into a bigger row; this race needs a bit of the farcical, it's all too nice at the moment! :lol:

That's actually quite funny in a twisted sort of way. :lol:

Although I can see conspiracy theories arising. However, Rio should be happy - these things usually benefit the 'victim'. Think back to 2205 when the French president Jacques Chirac was mocking London. Guess who won that bid?

This is targeted and planned.

Chicago needs to send an apology on behalf of NBC.

Just terrible!

What evidence do you have that Chicago 2016 is involved?

It's actually just a convenient timing issue - NBC are obviously releasing a show with Olympic overtones in anticipation to the decision in October. It's a bit like how on the lead up to September 11th there will be shows on terrorism etc.

If you feel slighted it should be at the producers of the show and not the Chicago 2016 bid team which did not produce the show and you have no evidence to even suggest they did.

The smartest thing for the Chicago 2016 bid committee to do would be "nothing." Ignore it. No comment.

And that goes for everyone in the Chicago bid group, and its citizens!

And, don't get drawn into any conversation about it.

The smartest thing for the Chicago 2016 bid committee to do would be "nothing." Ignore it. No comment.

And that goes for everyone in the Chicago bid group, and its citizens!

And, don't get drawn into any conversation about it.

Fully agreed.

Although privately, I would certainly give a "WTF were you thinking??" call to NBC.

This is targeted and planned.

Chicago needs to send an apology on behalf of NBC.

Why should Chicago? THey had nothing to do with it. If anybody is at fault, perhaps it is NBC. But then again, it's all part of "freedom of creative expression." So long as it isn't slanderous or libelous -- and LAW and ORDER does state in its fine print...that all characters and situations portrayed ARE fictitious...therefore NO ONE is really culpable.

It is all part of living in a free society.

If one should point a finger, then perhaps NBC should have nixed this episode...but then again, its subcontractor (I DON'T really watch that show) -- whichever it might be--would cry that they are being censored for a fictional situation...so what can NBC do?

I mean that's like...DON'T even say "sh*t" about any of the cities. GET REAL!!

(I'd love to see this episode. Just went to nbc.com 'cuz u can usually rewatch episodes on there ...I do on CBS...but NBC must've taken that episode down.)

Actually, I would love to see the episode. I suppose the Brazillians here will probably "kao pei kao bu" about it for a long time. It is a local slang for ranting and complaining. :lol:

Now Brazilians speak some extra-terrestrial language???

It's amazing how many prejuducial people are here in this forum...

Now Brazilians speak some extra-terrestrial language???

It's amazing how many prejuducial people are here in this forum...

A quick Google search on "kao pei kao bu" says that it's a Singapore phrase:

http://www.singlishdictionary.com/singlish_K.htm

meaning grumble or complain (it's the first entry). And is probably recognized by a Singapore person and by other Asian people and by people who speak other languages as clearly earthbound.

Just remember--although you can hear the crowd in the stadium, your can see your country's flag in the plaza and the flame above, you're entering orange cones in the Olympic park, you're at the head of the pack, and news announcers are calling your name in dozens of languages, your national anthem's not playing yet. This is the equivalent of complaining about a flash camera or a lane marker from Mile 23.

The police procedural shows (Law and Order is one of the oldest still on the air) very frequently "rip their stories from the headlines" to stay relevant with their audiences. Often it's politicians but also disasters and other major events that get fictionalized--often long before any of the disasters' victims are ready and while the implied politicians are running in important races or trying to move important issues. The story lines are implausible and often ridiculous but that's the intent of the show. I haven't paid attention to this show or its story lines in years and it's quite possible that this is the only time many have thought of the show in years. Yet this is a message and discussion for the last 28 days of the competition? Really?

This guy is not your model:

john-mccain-tongue-barack-obama.jpg

yet it seems like Sarah Palin's joined Rio 2016 since the EC report came out (some of what I read here even reminds me of the 2008 campaign).

It's extremely unlikely that the production company even asked the USOC or Chicago 2016 for anything besides legal guidance on using the Olympics in a creative work (they are trademarked properties and a phone call saves time in a court) but, otherwise, they work on their own.

CHItown '16

An episode from the American television series “Law and Order: Criminal Intent” has triggered outrage from the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic bid.

The show depicts an attempt by a firm with financial interests in Rio's bid to buy a vote from a member of the Olympic Committee of Belgium. When the member agrees, she ends up murdered in New York.

Globoesporte.com in Brazil says a Rio 2016 statement condemned the “irresponsible and reckless use of the image of the Brazilian candidate, who is on the campaign to host the games."

The episode entitled “The Glory that Was” originally aired on the USA Network and NBC in the United States on June 14 without much criticism. However, when it aired in Brazil on Thursday on AXN Network, many took notice. NBC owns the rights to broadcast the Olympic Games in United States.

Rio’s Mayor Eduardo Paes called the show “ridiculous and pathetic” when he spoke to O Globo. He told the newspaper that it could even damage IOC members whose work is completely transparent in relation to the election – and he said it may hinder the U.S. application (for the 2016 Olympics) and strengthen Rio’s campaign. Chicago is also bidding for the 2016 Games.

Law and Order – CI is in its eighth season after becoming a spin-off of the popular Law and Order franchise. The show stars renowned actor Jeff Goldblum and Julianne Nicholson whose characters team up to solve the crime.

The USA Network Website synopsis of the episode describes “the dark politics behind the Olympic Site Selection Committee” and how the show’s murder victim “was the vote he needed on the Olympic Site Selection Committee that would throw the Olympics to Rio.”

The IOC has worked hard over the past decade to clean up its image after the highly publicized vote buying scandal in 1998. The site selection process has been re-engineered and the IOC assures that bribery is a thing of the past. Although the Law and Order show is fictional, it could awaken bitter memories at a crucial and sensitive time of the 2016 Olympic bid.

The depiction of the corrupt IOC member as a member of the Belgian Olympic Committee could add to the sensitivity of the issue; the current President of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge, was also the President of the Belgian Olympic Committee.

GamesBids

This is just bizarre. And to make the corrupt IOCer Belgian! LOL! I don't know whether burst out in laughter or shake my head.

I'm sure there's no secret motivation, but it is sad because the writers obviously think the Brazilians fit the description of being corrupt when all bids have been very ethical during this race compared to 2012 and 2008. And that they've managed to not create a mock situation instead is beyond belief. It's just more stereotyping of South American leaders in the usual fashion whether intentional or not.

This is just bizarre. And to make the corrupt IOCer Belgian! LOL! I don't know whether burst out in laughter or shake my head.

Those Belgians!! Was just looking at some Jacques Brel stuff; and then I thought of the Singing Nun - Soeur Sourire (I think that's the spelling); she was also Belgian!! Is it any wonder they tamed or NEVER tamed the Congo?? :blink:

If Brazilians cannot tell the difference between a fictional TV episode and real life, can they tell the difference between an Olympics, Carnaval and the World Cup? :blink: I think not!!

Those Belgians!! Was just looking at some Jacques Brel stuff; and then I thought of the Singing Nun - Soeur Sourire (I think that's the spelling); she was also Belgian!! Is it any wonder they tamed or NEVER tamed the Congo?? :blink:

If Brazilians cannot tell the difference between a fictional TV episode and real life, can they tell the difference between an Olympics, Carnaval and the World Cup? :blink: I think not!!

Baron, don't play the child here...

We know difference between fictional and real world...

"Brazilians killings people because olympics" are obviously fictional... Nobody made a mess with this...

The real fact is NBC was non-sense making a fictional based in corruption inside IOC...

Repeat: It's at least, non-sense...

Maybe if a Brazilian TV series had done this with the Chicago bid, Rio's bid would be very criticized.

There are many cities in the world for making the episode fictional. In other words, they could have talked about every city on Earth except Rio, Tokyo and Madrid (I don't think they'd have been so stupid to talk about Chicago...). Why did they need to choose Rio de Janeiro?

However, I think that if Rio knows how to make the most of this, the NBC will have strengthen Rio's bid.

If any TV for any other country made an episode against Chicago bid, probably Americans would make a big buzz...

But if it's an American TV, that's ok...

It would not be the same.

I like USA very much, but sometimes they are more "equal" than the other...

If any TV for any other country made an episode against Chicago bid, probably Americans would make a big buzz...

But if it's an American TV, that's ok...

It would not be the same.

I like USA very much, but sometimes they are more "equal" than the other...

I totally agree ;)

Archived