World's Fair

The organisators estimated a much higher attendance - at the beginning the number of visitors was very very low - the attendance enhanced after the organisation started a huge publicity campaign (with Peter Ustinov and Verona Feldbusch (a German celebrity with the reputation to be very stupid)).

The people in Hannover expected a much higher number of visitors of foreign countries.

The number and the size of the EXPO-buildings doesn´t fit with the demand anymore.

I see. If that's the case, then this year's Expo could be in trouble as well. I haven't even heard much from what the Nagoya-area Expo has to offer so far, apart from the Internet. Also, it will be interesting on whether they will use the Osaka 1970 tactics to this one as well.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the secret of success of World Fairs is that the people are surprised what it is shown on such Fairs. No matter if it is about new technology as well as cultures of foreign countries.

The problem is that the people have the possibility to travel to foreign countries today and the people are accustomed to technological progress - nobody is astonished anymore to see an illuminated bulb or a maglev train etc. etc.

Furthermore there are anywhere theme parks where the people were abducted out of their normal life into something different.

I think the good times for World Fairs is gone...

I think the secret of success of World Fairs is that the people are surprised what it is shown on such Fairs. No matter if it is about new technology as well as cultures of foreign countries.

The problem is that the people have the possibility to travel to foreign countries today and the people are accustomed to technological progress - nobody is astonished anymore to see an illuminated bulb or a maglev train etc. etc.

Furthermore there are anywhere theme parks where the people were abducted out of their normal life into something different.

I think the good times for World Fairs is gone...

And, maybe, is why the USA withdrew its BIE membership.

• 2 weeks later...
The Expo 98 in Lisbon was a big success, 12 million (I Think) in country with 10 million, besides the attendance, the expo converted an area that resembled a nuclear waste dump into onde of the more thriving areas of Lisbon, the Expo area nowadadays is onde of the more exciting areas to visit in Lisbon. In that caractheristic Expo 98 was a lot more successful than Expo 92 in Seville.
The Expo 98 in Lisbon was a big success, 12 million (I Think) in country with 10 million, besides the attendance, the expo converted an area that resembled a nuclear waste dump into onde of the more thriving areas of Lisbon, the Expo area nowadadays is onde of the more exciting areas to visit in Lisbon. In that caractheristic Expo 98 was a lot more successful than Expo 92 in Seville.

Welcome to the forums, Golan.

Well, if you say so about Expo 1998 in Lisbon in that capacity, then Montreal 1967 is in the same league in a big way.

good luck Aichi! :)

Canada should bid for Expo 2017, the 150th anniversary of our nation, maybe in Ottawa or Calgary, celebrating the birthday of our nation. Montreal 1967 was the 100th anniversary and it was the most successful Expo to date.

Now that the Expo is underway, may it do well as best as it can. I'm sure that Shanghai officials will be observing it carefully.

For Canada, I'm not sure if there is any taste to host one again. Mr.x, 2015 is the big one, but 2017 is a good idea, too. Don't forget, 2017 is not only those reasons for Canada: the present Canadian flag will be 50 on that year, too.

AS a note to how times for Expos have changed, I was reading an article today saying that organisers expect this year's Expo to get only about a quarter of the visitor numbers that Osaka 1970 did _ and they would be happy to get that!
AS a note to how times for Expos have changed, I was reading an article today saying that organisers expect this year's Expo to get only about a quarter of the visitor numbers that Osaka 1970 did _ and they would be happy to get that!

I don't know what tactics the Japanese did with Osaka 1970 then, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if Shanghai 2010 will use some of that.

• 1 month later...
It seems that Moscow has a stand to promote the idea of getting the 2012 Olympic Games there at their Expo 2005 pavilion in Japan.

I don't know what tactics the Japanese did with Osaka 1970 then, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if Shanghai 2010 will use some of that.

The Japanese, as a nation, love going to Expo's and Disneylands.  And which is why Tokyo Disneyland is extremely successful.  I think the Japanese, if they're not out visiting Hawaii or Europe, are making their 3 or 4 annual pilgrimages to Tokyo Disneyland.

The Japanese, as a nation, love going to Expo's and Disneylands.  And which is why Tokyo Disneyland is extremely successful.  I think the Japanese, if they're not out visiting Hawaii or Europe, are making their 3 or 4 annual pilgrimages to Tokyo Disneyland.

That will be interesting to note in the future, with HK's Disneyland and Shanghai 2010 coming up. Never mind the current relations between China and Japan at this time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Got myself a CBC documentary DVD about Expo 1967. It's great to have it.  :blush:

No doubt that Toronto will be Canada's candidate city for 2015. I don't know why cities like Edmonton are even entertaining the idea of bidding since the Mayor of Toronto wrote to all the Mayor's of Canada's largest cities last fall asking for their support.

All major cities including the City of Edmonton wrote back supporting Toronto's application.

Louroz

No doubt that Toronto will be Canada's candidate city for 2015. I don't know why cities like Edmonton are even entertaining the idea of bidding since the Mayor of Toronto wrote to all the Mayor's of Canada's largest cities last fall asking for their support.

All major cities including the City of Edmonton wrote back supporting Toronto's application.

Louroz

Welcome back. Anyway, I doubt Edmonton will get the chance to bid for it.

I has also heard that San Francisco was thinking in bidding for the 2015 Expo... Tarragona, in Spain is also thinking in bid, but with Zaragoza 2008 and Sevilla 1992 will be very difficult. :)
I has also heard that San Francisco was thinking in bidding for the 2015 Expo... Tarragona, in Spain is also thinking in bid, but with Zaragoza 2008 and Sevilla 1992 will be very difficult. :)

It would be difficult for San Fran, too. It is because of two things. One, the USA withdrew its BIE membership. Second, Phoenix may try a stunt of hosting a non-BIE event to eclipse the one in Zaragoza on the same year. And, yes, it will be difficult to have an Expo in the same country that soon.

Phoenix won't be able to eclipse the one in Zaragoza: Zaragoza is one thousand times better!! Go down Phoenix 2008!!! :glare:  :P  :;):

Phoenix won't be able to eclipse the one in Zaragoza: Zaragoza is one thousand times better!! Go down Phoenix 2008!!! :glare:  :P  :;):

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides, with their BIE membership gone, it would be more difficult for the USA to host one in the future. Also, I think this year's World's Fair will be the last one for the USA to have a pavilion.

Archived