World's Fair

Now, it is a competition for the smaller Expo 2012. The first city to put its bid forward was Yeosu, Korea. As of June 28th., Tangier, Morocco, joins the Korean one to fight for the honor. Its theme is this: "Routes of the World, Cultures Connecting. For a More United World."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll support Tangier... Asia has had Aichi 2005 and will have Shanghai 2010...

Wich are the candidates for 2015?

This threads been brought back to life.

I honestly never heard of those two cities in my life.

It don't surprise me... B)

Tangier (Tánger in Spanish) was a Spanish colony in the North of Africa, near Ceuta and Melilla.

It don't surprise me... B)

Tangier (Tánger in Spanish) was a Spanish colony in the North of Africa, near Ceuta and Melilla.

en realidad solo fue ocupada militarmente por España desde 1940 a 1945 aprovechando la Segunda Guerra Mundial. De 1912 a 1940 y de 1945 a 1956 fué una ciudad libre bajo control internacional.

es un lugar horripilante (con perdón) y una Expo allí sera inviable y desastrosa...

This threads been brought back to life.

I honestly never heard of those two cities in my life.

do you know de Tangier´s Club in Los Angeles???? :)

seriously,Tangier is a city of Morocco (North Africa),is a gay turistic destination and a city without any possibility to host a Expo...

en realidad solo fue ocupada militarmente por España desde 1940 a 1945 aprovechando la Segunda Guerra Mundial. De 1912 a 1940 y de 1945 a 1956 fué una ciudad libre bajo control internacional.

es un lugar horripilante (con perdón) y una Expo allí sera inviable y desastrosa...

do you know de Tangier´s Club in Los Angeles???? :)

seriously,Tangier is a city of Morocco (North Africa),is a gay turistic destination and a city without any possibility to host a Expo...

Pues creo que Carmen Ordóñez siempre se iba allí de vacaciones porque decía que era su ciudad favorita o algo así :D Es que no estoy seguro de si era ésta u otra ciudad marroquí palaciega

Pues creo que Carmen Ordóñez siempre se iba allí de vacaciones porque decía que era su ciudad favorita o algo así :D Es que no estoy seguro de si era ésta u otra ciudad marroquí palaciega

era Marrakech,que es más bonita :)

• 3 months later...

This is news to me. According to Urso, of ExpoMuseum.com, there seems to be news about having San Fran bid for Expo 2020. Also, there is talk about Edmonton (Canada) and Salamanca (Spain) wanting to bid for a World's Fair for either 2017 or 2018. Like, Spain AGAIN? :o

As for the last possible bid for the World's Fair for 2012/2013, Sydney (Australia) is rumored to be thinking about it.

According to the BIE website, it is now official. It is a two-horse race between a new nation, Turkey (with Izmir), versus a six-time so far veteran, Italy (with Milan), for the honor of hosting Expo 2015.

it-lgflag.gif

tu-lgflag.gif

• 2 weeks later...

One week to go, before interested cities must hand in their papers to bid for Expo 2012 or 2013. So far, these cities are in the running:

- Yeosu, Korea

- Tangier, Morocco

- Wroclaw, Poland

One week to go, before interested cities must hand in their papers to bid for Expo 2012 or 2013. So far, these cities are in the running:

- Yeosu, Korea

- Tangier, Morocco

- Wroclaw, Poland

Don't forget Sydney's also expressed interest in it, though I haven't heard anything new on that lately.

This is news to me. According to Urso, of ExpoMuseum.com, there seems to be news about having San Fran bid for Expo 2020. Also, there is talk about Edmonton (Canada) and Salamanca (Spain) wanting to bid for a World's Fair for either 2017 or 2018. Like, Spain AGAIN? :o

Yes, Salamanca will present a bid for Expo 2018. Is this an International Expo (like Zaragoza 2008) or an Universal Expo (like Sevilla 92)?

I think that Spain won't get another Expo in a long time, in 2018 after Expo Zaragoza 2008 would be too soon.

Yes, Salamanca will present a bid for Expo 2018. Is this an International Expo (like Zaragoza 2008) or an Universal Expo (like Sevilla 92)?

I think that Spain won't get another Expo in a long time, in 2018 after Expo Zaragoza 2008 would be too soon.

"The Salamanca 2018" project is an international expo (like Zaragoza 2008) about science,culture,education and technology with the excuse of the 8th centenary of the university of Salamanca...

is impossible another expo in Spain in a lot of years...

- Yeosu, Korea

- Tangier, Morocco

- Wroclaw, Poland

Well, the other deadline here has come and gone. It seems that these 3 cities will fight it out against each other for the honor of hosting Expo 2012 or 2013.

Well, Poland or Morocco will be a new nation to host a World's Fair, if either of them does get the Expo 2012/2013 bid. Only Korea is the veteran nation here, with the hosting of Expo 1993 at Daejeon (Taejon) in its past BIE history. Again, like about the same 98 delegates that will vote between Izmir or Milan for Expo 2015, they will decide this World's Fair host city, too.

Don't forget Sydney's also expressed interest in it, though I haven't heard anything new on that lately.

Well, I finally got an update. It seems Sydney has decided against bidding for 2012 _ it was gonna miss the deadline anyway _ and is likely to mount a bid for a full Expo in 2020.

Pffffft! Expo Schmexpo!

Well, I finally got an update. It seems Sydney has decided against bidding for 2012 _ it was gonna miss the deadline anyway _ and is likely to mount a bid for a full Expo in 2020.

Pffffft! Expo Schmexpo!

I don't know about that, but since Australia is one of the top tourist destination nations in the world, I would not be surprised if Sydney does put a bid forward for 2020. I knew of Brisbane 1988, but I didn't know that Melbourne hosted one way back in 1880. :o

I don't know about that, but since Australia is one of the top tourist destination nations in the world, I would not be surprised if Sydney does put a bid forward for 2020. I knew of Brisbane 1988, but I didn't know that Melbourne hosted one way back in 1880. :o

The 2020 plan is just an idea that has been mentioned at the moment _ it certainly hasn't proceeded to any official application stage.

There's an interesting Olympic connection to Melbourne's 1880 Exposition.

One of the key buildings for that fair was the Royal Exhibition Building, a beautiful old grand Victorian structure in Carlton Gardens (now heritage listed).

During the 1956 games it was used as the venue for Olympic weightlifting, basketball, boxing, fencing and pentathlon.

Exhibition1.jpg

One week ago, the BIE has reported that Shanghai has opened a site called the "World Expo Mansion." In it, the place has a big-scale model of what the Expo site for the 2010 event would look like.

Link: Official Website Of Expo 2010 In Shanghai, China (English Version)

Archived