World's Fair

City team keen on Expo 2015 bid

By ROB GRANATSTEIN, CITY HALL BUREAU

Toronto's bid team has seen the competition for the Expo 2015 world's fair..

..Only two other cities are expressing interest in the 2015 fair -- Izmir in Turkey and Moscow.

also Turin and San Francisco showned interest in 2015 bidding

where did you hear about SF wanting to bid for the 2015 Expo?  

I think that's more feasible and winnable than an Olympic bid.  It'll probably be Treasure Island, Hunter's Point or the Oakland trainyards.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, if the USA does actually pursue a bid for a World's Fair, despite its new status now, which one should it really try to get? A smaller Expo for 2012/2013 for the likes of Las Vegas or the bigger Expo 2015 with San Fran?

With the USA without a BIE membership I think they can only get an international exposition for 2012 (NYC) or 2013 (Las Vegas)... :oops:

Turkey will bid with Izmir for the Expo 2015! Istanbul is out of race!

Turkey is preparing to become a candidate to host World Expo, a cultural exhibition, in the year 2015. Within this framework, the city of Izmir has formally applied to host the World Expo 2015. The World Expo, a cultural and thematic exhibition, is held every five years. World Expo 2005 will be held in Japan and World Expo 2010 will be held in China. A meeting was held on May 31 under the auspices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to discuss the preliminary work to be undertaken to help Izmir organize the World Expo 2015. Izmir Chamber of Trade (IZTO) Chairman Ekrem Demirtaş has stated meanwhile that the IZTO has made plans to make Izmir a world city in 15 years. “We support Izmir's application to host World Expo 2015. We think Izmir is able to successfully organize the exhibition in 2015,” Demirtaş said. Meanwhile, Izmir Trade Stock Exchange Chief Executive Tuğrul Yemişçi has said that a theme symbolizing all the civilizations in Anatolia could be used for World Expo 2015. The first World Expo took place in London in 1851.

Link

Turkey will bid with Izmir for the Expo 2015! Istanbul is out of race!

Turkey is preparing to become a candidate to host World Expo, a cultural exhibition, in the year 2015. Within this framework, the city of Izmir has formally applied to host the World Expo 2015. The World Expo, a cultural and thematic exhibition, is held every five years. World Expo 2005 will be held in Japan and World Expo 2010 will be held in China. A meeting was held on May 31 under the auspices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to discuss the preliminary work to be undertaken to help Izmir organize the World Expo 2015. Izmir Chamber of Trade (IZTO) Chairman Ekrem Demirtaş has stated meanwhile that the IZTO has made plans to make Izmir a world city in 15 years. “We support Izmir's application to host World Expo 2015. We think Izmir is able to successfully organize the exhibition in 2015,” Demirtaş said. Meanwhile, Izmir Trade Stock Exchange Chief Executive Tuğrul Yemişçi has said that a theme symbolizing all the civilizations in Anatolia could be used for World Expo 2015. The first World Expo took place in London in 1851.

Link

IZMIR!!!! :shocked:  Then Turkey has lost... GO MOSCOW 2015!!! :idea:

With the USA without a BIE membership I think they can only get an international exposition for 2012 (NYC) or 2013 (Las Vegas)... :oops:

Even this could get threatened. Not because of no BIE membership but because of one particular US city wants to "gets its plans going."

I have no idea why any city in the U.S. would want one of these things anymore.  The last few fairs we had were total financial failures.

Izmir... why not? Izmir is better than Istanbul!

Some pics of Izmir: Many pics of Izmir

I don't like it.... Istanbul for me is one of the ten jewels of the Human Heritage. The other ones are, in this order: Cairo, Beijing, Paris, Madrid, Moscow, NYC, Rio de Janeiro, San Francisco and Mumbai. :rolleyes:

I have no idea why any city in the U.S. would want one of these things anymore.  The last few fairs we had were total financial failures.

Well, those last Expos in the USA were just a few years apart from each other. Never mind that the 1980s was very topsy-turvy in world affairs then from the political to the economic fronts. Most of all, who knows when the Americas area will finally get a World's Fair, after Vancouver 1986. To me, that is a long while.

• 2 months later...
Well, it is about 2 years from now to determine the host city for Expo 2015. What is surprising to me so far is that San Fran may get a rival US city to get the nod for the Expo 2015 bidding rights. It is no other than Las Vegas.

Well, it is about 2 years from now to determine the host city for Expo 2015. What is surprising to me so far is that San Fran may get a rival US city to get the nod for the Expo 2015 bidding rights. It is no other than Las Vegas.

In Expomuseum says also that Atlanta is trying to host it... :oo:

It seems that San Francisco and Toronto are the ones with more efforces made to get the Expo.

In Expomuseum says also that Atlanta is trying to host it... :oo:

It seems that San Francisco and Toronto are the ones with more efforces made to get the Expo.

He must of updated the 2015 page of his website just today or yesterday. But, I don't know about the American bids to be honest. Yes, they can bid for one, but with the USA withdrawing their BIE membership, getting one will be difficult.

As some people have mentioned over time here about Expos, it makes one wonder if they are even worth getting nowadays.

As some people have mentioned over time here about Expos, it makes one wonder if they are even worth getting nowadays.

The Aichi 2005 Expo was visited by a huge quantity of people :oops:

Respect to an American bid for 2015, I think Moscow or Toronto could be better

It was respectable, but Shanghai 2010 should blow away all attendance records.

It was respectable, but Shanghai 2010 should blow away all attendance records.

Wich city do your prefer for 2015?

I prefer Moscow, although Toronto could also be great. And for an American future Expo: what about Las Vegas 2013? :oops:

Being Canadian biased here, I would like Toronto to get it. Of course, we still do not know which cities will actually want to go for it because all potential bids are just proposing ones for now. Unless it is clear-cut and settled, I cannot really say which one I would really go for.

• 4 weeks later...
Mikel, this should be good for Spain's record for hosting World's Fairs. On January 12th., the BIE membership gave Zaragoza the "final recognition" for the city to host the 2008 Expo. This means, I think, that a cancellation of the event is not likely to happen. Not like the last "small Expo" that got cancelled.

Mikel, this should be good for Spain's record for hosting World's Fairs. On January 12th., the BIE membership gave Zaragoza the "final recognition" for the city to host the 2008 Expo. This means, I think, that a cancellation of the event is not likely to happen. Not like the last "small Expo" that got cancelled.

They've revealed the mascot in late 2005. The construction of the venues is in process. Zaragoza will change for 2008. The Vicepresident of the Government, María Teresa Fernández de la Vega, was in Zaragoza in November for inaugurate the constructions.

• 4 months later...

First, we had Izmir, Turkey, the first candidate city to bid for the big Expo 2015. Now, Yeosu, South Korea, which lost to nearby Shanghai to becoming the host city of Expo 2010, is the first candidate city to bid for the smaller Expo 2012. The Korean city's Expo bid theme: The Living Ocean and Coast: Diversity of Resources and Sustainable Activities.

I wonder: will this bid interfere in any way with PyeongChang's bid for the 2014 Winter Olympics?

Anyway, the deadline to hand in Expo 2012 bids is November 22, 2006. The deadline to hand in the big Expo 2015 bids is November 6, 2006.

Archived