World's Fair

The next one is Nagoya 2005.

No, the next one is in Aichi (Japan) in 2005 and then an International Expo in Zaragoza (Spain) in 2008

Aichi is the name of the prefecture in Japan. The Nagoya AREA is the host site. And, yes, Zaragoza is the next official Expo, but Phoenix may try something here.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunatly, with Disney World/Disneyland, Six Flags and a host of other amusement parks, I think trying to host another World's Fair in the U.S. is foolish and hope San Francisco isn't serious about '15.

NYC '64-'65 was the last successful one.  Spokane '74, Knoxville '82 and New Orleans '84 were all not well attended.  There was a move to have one in Chicago in 1993 to celebrate the centennial of the 1893 Columbian Exposition, but that went by the wayside when it became apparent that Knoxville and New Orleans did not do very well.

Unfortunatly, with Disney World/Disneyland, Six Flags and a host of other amusement parks, I think trying to host another World's Fair in the U.S. is foolish and hope San Francisco isn't serious about '15.

NYC '64-'65 was the last successful one.  Spokane '74, Knoxville '82 and New Orleans '84 were all not well attended.  There was a move to have one in Chicago in 1993 to celebrate the centennial of the 1893 Columbian Exposition, but that went by the wayside when it became apparent that Knoxville and New Orleans did not do very well.

Unfortunately, the BIE did not recognize the '64-'65 New York Fair. As for the Spokane 1974, I think it was the smallest Expo ever with only NINE main national pavilions. Not this 100+ that seems to be a norm nowadays.

As for San Fran's supposed 2015 bid, that could be difficult. First of all, the USA withdrew its membership to the BIE. Therefore, if the city does bid, it must wait longer than other contenders whose countries are members and have first cracks at wooing the BIE members. Also, this Phoenix 2008 "upstart" could make things worse for San Fran, if it does go ahead because it is not sanctioned by the BIE.

Unfortunately, the BIE did not recognize the '64-'65 New York Fair. As for the Spokane 1974, I think it was the smallest Expo ever with only NINE main national pavilions. Not this 100+ that seems to be a norm nowadays.

I'm not familiar with the BIE.  Which of the US/Canadian Fairs were recognized?  There have been so many . . .

I'm not familiar with the BIE.  Which of the US/Canadian Fairs were recognized?  There have been so many . . .

Come to this website of the BIE:

Official BIE Website

As for official Expos on American soil, there were 11 of them in total from Philadelphia 1876 to New Orleans 1984. Here's the list:

1876: Philadelphia

1893 and 1933: Chicago

1904: St. Louis

1915: San Francisco

1939: New York City

1962: Seattle

1968: San Antonio

1974: Spokane

1982: Knoxville

1984: New Orleans

For Canada, there were only 2 of them and both of them were recognized anyway.

You guys forget, there were 2 aborted "World's Fairs" planned for 1976, the US Bicentennial year.  Philadelphia was to have the main one - but couldn't get certification or funds or something like that.  And then Miami insisted on having one, too -- but their focus was like "The Fair of the Americas" -- meaning only the New World.  Both schemes fell through.

And then of course, there was also the failed Denver Winter Olympic bid.

All in all, a poor way to have celebrated the U.S. Bicentennial.  Even the big Liberty blow-out took place in 1986.   :sniffle:

In any case, I don't know how popular the World's Fair is nowadays. With the USA withdrew its membership to the BIE, I don't know if this year's World Fair will be the last one it will participate in officially.

I found a list:

1851 LONDON – Great Britain

1855 PARIS - France

1862 LONDON - Great Britain

1867 PARIS - France

1873 VIENNA - Austria

1876 PHILADELPHIA - USA

1878 PARIS - France

1880 MELBOURNE - Australia

1888 BARCELONA - Spain

1889 PARIS - France

1893 CHICAGO - USA

1897 BRUSSELS - Belgium

1900 PARIS - France

1904 SAINT LOUIS - USA

1905 LIEGE - Belgium

1906 MILAN - Italia

1910 BRUSSELS - Belgium

1913 GHENT - Belgium

1915 SAN FRANCISCO - USA

1929 BARCELONA - Spain

1933 CHICAGO - USA

1935 BRUSSELS – Belgium

1936 Stockholm - Sweden

1937 PARIS – France

1938 HELSINKI – Finland

1939 LIEGE - Belgium

1939 NEW YORK – USA

1947 PARIS - France

1949 STOCKHOLM – Sweden

1949 PORT-AU-PRINCE – Haiti

1949 LYON - France

1951 LILLE – France

1953 JERUSALEM – Israel

1953 ROME – Italia

1954 NAPLES – Italia

1955 TURIN – Italia

1955 HELSINGBORG - Sweden

1956 BEIT DAGON - Israel

1957 BERLIN - Germany

1958 BRUSSELS – Belgium

1961 TURIN - Italia

1962 SEATTLE – USA

1965 MUNICH - Germany

1967 MONTREAL – Canada

1968 SAN ANTONIO - USA

1970 OSAKA – Japan

1971 Budapest – Hungry

1974 SPOKANE - USA

1975 OKINAWA – Japan

1981 PLOVDIV – Bulgaria

1982 KNOXVILLE – USA

1984 NEW Orléans – USA

1985 Tsukuba – Japan

1985 plovdiv – Bulgaria

1986 VANCOUVER – Canada

1988 BRISBANE – Australia

1991 PLOVDIV - Bulgaria

1992 GENOA - Italia

1992 SEVILLE - Spain

1993 TAEJON - Korea

1998 LISBON - Portugal

2000 HANNOVER – Germany

FUTURE INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITIONS

2005 AICHI – Japan

2008 ZARAGOZA - Spain

2010 SHANGHAI – China

So thats: USA 11, France 9, Belgium 7, Italy 6, Spain, Sweden and Japan 4, Germany and Bulgaria 3, GB, Canada, Israel, Korea and Australia 2, Austria, Finland, Haiti, Hungary, Portugal and China 1

COUPLE MORE POINTS:

Does the Crystal Palace Exhibition in London have anything to do with World Fair/Expo?

Interesting to see Expo being a springboard to both the Munich and Montreal Olympics, shows how important they were as a world event. I think China's 2010 Expo will be awesome!

Does the Crystal Palace Exhibition in London have anything to do with World Fair/Expo?

Interesting to see Expo being a springboard to both the Munich and Montreal Olympics, shows how important they were as a world event. I think China's 2010 Expo will be awesome!

#1 - Yes.  However, where it sits today was not the original location for the 1851 Exposition.  After it was built on the 1851 Expo site, it was dismantled and then rebuilt in its present site.  

#2 - Well, not just Munich and Montreal.  Remember that the 1900 (Paris) and 1904 (St. Louis) Olympic Games were sidelights of the World Expositions in those cities.  Also, you forget that in 1984 - 80 years after St. Louis, the US again became the next country to host a SUmmer Olympics and World Exposition in the same calendar year, albeit in different cities.  

I'm wondering though if it were the other way around -- if world expo's were an offshoot of the Olympic Games?

If Toronto fails at getting the 2015 Universal Expo then I think Halifax should toss in a bid for the 2017 International Expo.  That year is the 100th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion and the 150th year of Canadian Confederation.  But instead of countries, they could invite cities and the theme would be cities that have faced massive destruction but who's determination and ambition helped them rise out of the flames of ruin into success and new life - places like San Francisco, Atlanta, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Lower Manhattan, Dresden, Warsaw, Sarajevo and others.

If Toronto fails at getting the 2015 Universal Expo then I think Halifax should toss in a bid for the 2017 International Expo.  That year is the 100th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion and the 150th year of Canadian Confederation.  But instead of countries, they could invite cities and the theme would be cities that have faced massive destruction but who's determination and ambition helped them rise out of the flames of ruin into success and new life - places like San Francisco, Atlanta, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Lower Manhattan, Dresden, Warsaw, Sarajevo and others.

that would be an awesome concept. a Halifax Expo would be awesome.....let Toronto host the Commonwealths or the Olympics instead.

Why did the US withdraw from the BIE?

Is there a list of all Expos anywhere?

I'm not sure why it did so. Perhaps the USA thinks the Expo is not worth the money it used to be.

If Toronto ever does bid.

Possible bids for 2015:

-San Fransisco, USA

-Toronto or Ontario, Canada

-Turin, Italy

-Istanbul or Izmir, Turkey

Only 2 more years before the host city decision.

I suppose after the disaster of Hannover 2000 that Germany won´t bid anymore, but it will take part:

The German Pavillion (Aichi)

CAF, why was it really a disaster?

The organisators estimated a much higher attendance - at the beginning the number of visitors was very very low - the attendance enhanced after the organisation started a huge publicity campaign (with Peter Ustinov and Verona Feldbusch (a German celebrity with the reputation to be very stupid)).

The people in Hannover expected a much higher number of visitors of foreign countries.

The number and the size of the EXPO-buildings doesn´t fit with the demand anymore.

Archived