World's Fair

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a website for this too?
I think the only sites are Expomuseum (here) and BIE (here).
The next one is Nagoya 2005. Previous hosts that i'm aware of are; Chicago 1893, St. Louis '04, San Francisco '39, New York '64, Montreal '67, Osaka '70, Vancouver '86, Brisbane '88, Seville '92.

I think there will be a big one around 2010 in Shanghai (CHN).

I still can't remember the difference between a Universal Expo (Sevilla'92) and an International Expo (Lisbon'98). Does anyone know?   :oh:

A "universal" Expo uses a general theme that could be accepted by nations and international organizations alike that participates in the event. An "international" Expo uses a more specific theme that is smaller in size than the universal Expo.

With the larger of the two, the universal one takes 8 years to prepare, after the bid is won. As for the international version, it takes about half as much time to prepare.

Of course, the BIE has redone the way Expos are awarded and held. Before, in the 20th. century, almost every year had an Expo in one form or another. More so, even at years at most unlikely locations.

I could go on, but this is what I know from what I hear and see.

The next one is Nagoya 2005. Previous hosts that i'm aware of are; Chicago 1893, St. Louis '04, San Francisco '39, New York '64, Montreal '67, Osaka '70, Vancouver '86, Brisbane '88, Seville '92.

the first one was in London in 1851, i know san fransisco hosted in '15 and knoxville, tn hosted in '82

A "universal" Expo uses a general theme that could be accepted by nations and international organizations alike that participates in the event. An "international" Expo uses a more specific theme that is smaller in size than the universal Expo.

With the larger of the two, the universal one takes 8 years to prepare, after the bid is won. As for the international version, it takes about half as much time to prepare.

Of course, the BIE has redone the way Expos are awarded and held. Before, in the 20th. century, almost every year had an Expo in one form or another. More so, even at years at most unlikely locations.

I could go on, but this is what I know from what I hear and see.

Thanks for the info, Guardian.

Does it make sense to keep organizing World Expos nowadays? I mean, the last Expos haven't been very successful in economical terms (Lisbon and Hannover). :hmm:

Well, that's a difficult question to answer in simple terms. In China's case, as an example about Shanghai 2010, it will be a novelty for the BIE and the Chinese people to have such an event for the first time there. If I read the BIE website correctly, if the Greek bid for 2008 is successful, the same thing could apply here as well.

However, it could be the opposite as well. With the advancement of the Internet and access to transport to many places around the world, the World's Fair could end up dying in the long run. Never mind that there are other international events that cities and nations would rather go for than just a World's Fair.

As for next year's Expo in Japan, 125 countries and 8 international organizations are going to participate so far. I think this is less than the participation rate for Hannover 2000.

However Hannover made a huge loss and visitor numbers were catestrophic considering the size of the installations and the money spent.  Hannover more than any other (Vancouver and Brisbane made huge profits - as did Lisbon) expo may be causing some cities to hold back.

Hold back, huh? Here's what I know about potential cities for the 2015 World's Fair so far:

San Francisco, USA

Torino, Italy

Istanbul, Turkey

Moscow, Russia

There could be more cities that want to join in the fray. However, 2007 is the year of the awarding of this Expo.

I read somewhere that Bilbao will bid for the 2012 Expo (Dunno if it's an international or a Universal one).

As for 2015, the Spanish city of Tarragona seems interested in bidding:

4. PROPOSICIONS DE L’ALCALDIA

4.1. Valoració dels estatuts de l’Associació Promotora de la Candidatura Expo Tarragona 2015.

I don't know if this candidature is official yet.

So 3 Spanish cities are interested in hosting an Expo: Zaragoza for 2008 (official), Bilbao for 2012 and Tarragona for 2015. Cool.

This document is from February 2004, and it talks about Tarragona's bid: Link.

Initial estimated cost of 10 million € and 30 million visitors expected.

:cool:

This bid could pose a problem, if Zaragoza manages to win to host the 2008 Expo. This could apply to Torino as well with Trieste.

At least, it looks like it will be a European onslaught against one American candidate so far. Also, it will be hard-pressed to have an Asian Expo of this magnitude 3 times in a row, with the Nagoya area and Shanghai having Expos already.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that Toronto MAY jump into the Expo bidding fray again. See these articles/forum site:

City Testing Expo Waters (Ashton Sees World's Fair Opportunity)

Meet Me In Toronto, Tonto

"Expo, Or, The Tale Of Two Mayors"

i have never seen a worlds fari i have no idea what they are about can someon enlighten my

the world's fair or what is known as a  "Expo" is a world cultural and technological fair. there are as many as a hundred pavillons or even more, many representing many nations from across the world. these pavillons are in beautiful fair grounds, which are huge and usually contain things like monorails and stuff like that. the last world's fair was in 2000 in Germany. there are three sizes of the fairs, unviversal (the biggest and most extravagant), international (medium size), and continental (smallest)...world's fair usually come with Olympic sized infrastructure improvements and usually change a city a lot.....but they don't give as much impact as they do decades ago. they're not as noticed in the world as they were....they used to be equivalent to the Olympic Games. These fairs last for months and months. More about the pavillions, they're huge and many are temporary instead of permanent.

Expo 2000 in Hannover, which was a total failure:

exp003.jpg

exp004.jpg

exp011.jpg

exp008.jpg

thanks a lot Mr. X, i think they are stupid a waste of money and unnessecary

Expo's aren't a waste of money, they do bring benefits to a city but not as much as before. most pavillons are cheap and temporary, few are permanent.

here's an example: take a look at what Vancouver got by hosting the 1986 World's Fair - we had predicted 10 million people would visit the 4-month fair...it was double and the benefits have been astronomical. there were only 4 permanent buildings: Canada Place (now a convention centre, 5-star hotel, IMAX theatre, major tourist attraction and cruise ship terminal, and Vancouver's landmark building with its white sails, costed nearly half a billion...formerly the Canadian Pavillon), Science World (the giant glass golf ball, formerly Expo Centre now a science museum and major tourist attraction), Plaza of Nations (convention/exhibition space and outdoor plaza), and BC Place Stadium (2010 Olympic stadium, formerly the ceremonies stadium for Expo). the fair was in downtown along the inner harbour...Expo gave Vancouver much much much better bus service and started the rapid transit rail craze in the region with a billion dollar SkyTrain line, started a North Shore-downtown harbour ferry system, and a highway was built in the interior of the province. Since 1986, the indirect economic spinoffs of the fair is probably well above half a trillion dollars - seriously, it is....without Expo, Vancouver wouldn't be a beautiful city it is today...much of the land near and in downtown still would not have been developed and Expo gave the BC economy a huge jumpstart. new industries have been created because of expo. Vancouver would not be where it is now without Expo...we hosted one of the best world's fairs ever and is in the top ten list even though the type of fair we hosted isn't qualifed to be in the list.

Another example would be Montreal's Expo decades ago in the 60s....it didn't just change the city or the province, it changed the country. Back then, Expo's were a huge thing in the world and the world was so suprised to see what Canada offered. Montreal's Expo today is still the world's best ever.

sorry to be a bit too long, but i just wanted to give you a better idea of the past, present and Expos in general. :)

The only thing I've heard about the World's Fair is about Expo '92 in Seville when Chile sended a giant iceberg from the Northern Ice Camps in my country. Finally, they sold to UAE or another arab country to use like drinking-water... (Do you know Chile is the biggest reserve of drinking-water in the world?)

I've never heard about Hannover in 2000...

The only thing I've heard about the World's Fair is about Expo '92 in Seville when Chile sended a giant iceberg from the Northern Ice Camps in my country. Finally, they sold to UAE or another arab country to use like drinking-water... (Do you know Chile is the biggest reserve of drinking-water in the world?)

I've never heard about Hannover in 2000...

Hannover started the new BIE rule regarding the "universal" or the largest of the Expos it sanctions. It is to be held every 5 years. Hence, we have Japan in 2005 and Shanghai in 2010. 2015 is the next largest one to be awarded and it will be given in 2007. So far, it is a contest between possible European cities and ones from nations of the Americas.

By the way, mr.x, what was the size of Expo 1986 in comparison to Expo 2000 in Hannover, Germany?

i don't know about Hannover but Vancouver's was 300 acres, a universal fair...but small for this type of fair and not to mention cheap.

also, much of the Expo lands is now towering glass condos and parks and the south side of False Creek, also formerly Expo lands, is slated for the 2010 athletes village - a utopia with wildlife - which is gonna be the world's most sustainable communtiy.

• 6 months later...
The next one is Nagoya 2005.

No, the next one is in Aichi (Japan) in 2005 and then an International Expo in Zaragoza (Spain) in 2008

Archived