Le Tour de France

Indurain is probably the second best cyclist of all time

the Giro and Ventre(sp) are just as important in the cycling world

this tour has been pretty boring, the only good thing is the Hushovd most likely going to win the green jersey with his 15 point lead

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merckx is the greatest?, followed by Indurain?

Poor Lance Armstrong; he is about to wrap up his 7th  Tour de France in a row, and according to you guys, he is a Loser!~ :(

Again what would you rather win seven straight Tours of Italy or seven straight Tour de Frances?

Seven Olympic Gold Medals or seven gold medals in a world champioship?

the Giro is not some second class event, there are riders that make it out to be far more important than Le Tour, the Giro is just as demanding, just as long, and a lot more technical than Le Tour. Winning any of the grand tours and the world championships is of the highest honour in cycling and most riders wouldn't really care which one they won, just as long as win one.

Lance is no where near the prolific winner that Eddie Merckx was, not even close

Merckx has worn the yellow jersey 33 more times than lance and has 11 more stages wins, along with an overall winning percentage of just over 33%, something armstrong can never match

In his Tour de France debut in 1969, Merckx won the yellow jersey (overall leader), the green jersey (best sprinter) and the red polka-dotted jersey ("King of the Mountains" - best climber in the mountain stages). No other cyclist has achieved this trifecta in the Tour de France, and only Laurent Jalabert has been able to match this feat at the grand tours level, in the 1995 Vuelta a Espana. If the young riders' white jersey (for best rider in the Tour that is under 25 years of age) had existed at that time, Merckx would have won that as well, as he had only just turned 24.
Baron Eddy Merckx /'merks/ (born Edouard Louis Joseph Merckx on June 17, 1945 in Meensel-Kiezegem, Belgium) is considered by many to be the greatest cyclist of the 19th and 20th centuries. He is the five-time champion of the two most important races in professional cycling, the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia, is one of only four cyclists to have won all three of the Grand Tours (Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a España) in a career, and one of only two men to have won the Triple Crown of Cycling (the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, and the World Cycling Championships in the same year). In his 13 year professional career, Merckx raced 1582 times on the road and won 445 races (a batting average of .355. He won 35.5% of the races he entered.) [1], and is one of only three riders (all Belgian) to have won all five Classic cycle races at least once during his career. He also won the season-long Super Prestige Pernod International competition a record seven consecutive times.

just because you can win one bike race doesn't mean your the greatest

El Grucher(sp) is a perfect example, widely considered the best middle-distance runner in history, he didn't win the gold at the Olympics until 2004, just because he had never won the big event, doesn't mean he wasn't the greatest

i forget how it is, but someone on the Spurs has won the NBA championship 6 times, i think as many as Jordan, but does that make him the greatest basketball player there ever was, nope

being able to win one race, one thing a lot does not make you the greatest, greatest comes from complete domination of a sport, being able to win at all times no matter the conditions or field of play, begining able to do things no one else has ever done, or very few people.

Merckx has many records, first, and elite group titles to his name and is widely considered the most dominate person in the history of professional cycling, that is why he is the greatest

Your analogies are a bit flawed.

Tim Duncan of the Spurs only won the NBA Championship 3 times.

A great player; but he isn't a Michael Jordan.

El Guerrouj is the greatest middle distance runner in history after he won his first gold medal at 1500m in Athens.

Before that he was known as that great middle distance runner, who holds all these world records, but couldn't win the most important title, in the most important world stage the OLYMPICS.

Why do you think he appeared so relieved, when he won his first gold medal? The "monkey", was finally off his back.

Also alot of these athletics world records these days are paced by a "rabbit", to pull these runners to world records.

In an Olympic 1500m, there are no "rabbits" to help you; everyone in the race wants to win.

El Guerroul fell the victim many times in the Olympics of tacticle errors.

Not sure what you mean, that if it wasn't for Armstrong's cancer he would have never become the rider he became??

???

I guess cancer chemotherapy is performance enhancing? :laugh:

Care to dicuss the pathophysiology of testicular cancer and the mechanism of action of chemotherapeutic drugs on cyclist's bodies? ???

Your analogies are a bit flawed.

Tim Duncan of the Spurs only won the NBA Championship 3 times.

A great player; but he isn't a Michael Jordan.

El Guerrouj is the greatest middle distance runner in history after he won his first gold medal at 1500m in Athens.

Before that he was known as that great middle distance runner, who holds all these world records, but couldn't win the most important title, in the most important world stage the OLYMPICS.

Why do you think he appeared so relieved, when he won his first gold medal? The "monkey", was finally off his back.

Also alot of these athletics world records these days are paced by a "rabbit", to pull these runners to world records.

In an Olympic 1500m, there are no "rabbits" to help you; everyone in the race wants to win.

El Guerroul fell the victim many times in the Olympics of tacticle errors.

Not sure what you mean, that if it wasn't for Armstrong's cancer he would have never become the rider he became??

???

I guess cancer chemotherapy is performance enhancing? :laugh:

Care to dicuss the pathophysiology of testicular cancer and the mechanism of action of chemotherapeutic drugs on cyclist's bodies? ???

one: i wasn't talking about Tim Duncan, i was talking about someone else, even i know who Tim Duncan is

two: El Guerrouj even before the Olympic win was the considered the best middle distance runner

three: cancer can change your body and physce, cancer caused Armstrong to lose a bit of weight, changed is body shape to go from a fast paced one day classic rider to a mountainous rider that can win longer multiple day races, before cancer Armstrong was pretty much a sprinter, (won stage 3 and stage 18, before cancer, both flat sprint stages) after, with the changes to his body, he became a climber. its one of those really strange things.

i say an interview with Armstrong and he said that if it wasn't for cancer he would have never won Le Tour de France, that is probably the amazing thing about he, he took this thing that almost took his life and turned it around into become the greatest Tour de France rider in history

Armstrong has won, no the most impressive victory, well nothing can match 2001 or 2003, but overall this tour was rather blah, very little excitement and a lot of egos taken up all the room

hopefully next year with no clear favourite the race can be a little more exciting.

Ivan Basso

Andreas Kloden

Jan Ullrich

Alexandre Vinokourov

Cadel Evans

Yaroslav Popovych

should be interesting

i say an interview with Armstrong and he said that if it wasn't for cancer he would have never won Le Tour de France, that is probably the amazing thing about he, he took this thing that almost took his life and turned it around into become the greatest Tour de France rider in history

Armstrong has won, no the most impressive victory, well nothing can match 2001 or 2003, but overall this tour was rather blah, very little excitement and a lot of egos taken up all the room

hopefully next year with no clear favourite the race can be a little more exciting.

Ivan Basso

Andreas Kloden

Jan Ullrich

Alexandre Vinokourov

Cadel Evans

Yaroslav Popovych

should be interesting

Sorry, but having metastic testicular cancer to the lung and brain, which in the majority of cases is a death sentence, motivated Lance to become the best he could be after a near escape from death.

Please don't talk about what cancer can do for you; you do not know anything about cancer.

I have a medical degree from an American medical school and specialize in Oncology.

Your statements to put it bluntly are purely stupid!

Can you even tell me which is the drug of choice to treat Gonnorhea? :P

Ivan Basso

Andreas Kloden

Jan Ullrich

Alexandre Vinokourov

Cadel Evans

Yaroslav Popovych

should be interesting

Amen to that.

the Giro is not some second class event, there are riders that make it out to be far more important than Le Tour, the Giro is just as demanding, just as long, and a lot more technical than Le Tour. Winning any of the grand tours and the world championships is of the highest honour in cycling and most riders wouldn't really care which one they won, just as long as win one.

Lance is no where near the prolific winner that Eddie Merckx was, not even close

Merckx has worn the yellow jersey 33 more times than lance and has 11 more stages wins, along with an overall winning percentage of just over 33%, something armstrong can never match

In his Tour de France debut in 1969, Merckx won the yellow jersey (overall leader), the green jersey (best sprinter) and the red polka-dotted jersey ("King of the Mountains" - best climber in the mountain stages). No other cyclist has achieved this trifecta in the Tour de France, and only Laurent Jalabert has been able to match this feat at the grand tours level, in the 1995 Vuelta a Espana. If the young riders' white jersey (for best rider in the Tour that is under 25 years of age) had existed at that time, Merckx would have won that as well, as he had only just turned 24.
Baron Eddy Merckx /'merks/ (born Edouard Louis Joseph Merckx on June 17, 1945 in Meensel-Kiezegem, Belgium) is considered by many to be the greatest cyclist of the 19th and 20th centuries. He is the five-time champion of the two most important races in professional cycling, the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia, is one of only four cyclists to have won all three of the Grand Tours (Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a España) in a career, and one of only two men to have won the Triple Crown of Cycling (the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, and the World Cycling Championships in the same year). In his 13 year professional career, Merckx raced 1582 times on the road and won 445 races (a batting average of .355. He won 35.5% of the races he entered.) [1], and is one of only three riders (all Belgian) to have won all five Classic cycle races at least once during his career. He also won the season-long Super Prestige Pernod International competition a record seven consecutive times.

just because you can win one bike race doesn't mean your the greatest

El Grucher(sp) is a perfect example, widely considered the best middle-distance runner in history, he didn't win the gold at the Olympics until 2004, just because he had never won the big event, doesn't mean he wasn't the greatest

i forget how it is, but someone on the Spurs has won the NBA championship 6 times, i think as many as Jordan, but does that make him the greatest basketball player there ever was, nope

being able to win one race, one thing a lot does not make you the greatest, greatest comes from complete domination of a sport, being able to win at all times no matter the conditions or field of play, begining able to do things no one else has ever done, or very few people.

Merckx has many records, first, and elite group titles to his name and is widely considered the most dominate person in the history of professional cycling, that is why he is the greatest

no one in the board stated that the Giro is a second class race, but do you think winners of the Giro are remembered as well at the Tour de France winners? Wake up... and smell the flowers. The Tour de France is the most prestigious cycling tournament and Lance winning his 7th straight Tour De France makes him one of the greatest if not the greatest cyclist and legend as well. I rest my case.

Armstrong is one of the greatest cyclist there ever was, no argument, he's just not the greatest

Please don't talk about what cancer can do for you; you do not know anything about cancer.

HA, piss of you little slim, i know nothing of cancer, considering my mother, my grandmother, my aunt, and my uncle have all had cancer, i highly doubt that

Armstrong is one of the greatest cyclist there ever was, no argument, he's just not the greatest

HA, piss of you little slim, i know nothing of cancer, considering my mother, my grandmother, my aunt, and my uncle have all had cancer, i highly doubt that

Still do not know anything about what causes cancer and how it is treated.

To claim that Armstrong's cancer somehow altered his body to give him his abilities, is just plain Fuking Stupid!! :D

Seems that there is a genetic predisposition in your family for cancer.

Or was it a lung cancer from smoking or a hepatoma from alcoholism?

Watch out but it sounds like you are the type that will get a melanoma, Kaposi's Sarcoma or pancreatic cancer.

Lets see if you can servive any of these( 2 year survival rate is less than 10%) and it alters your body, so you can go on and win the 2008 Tour de France. :laugh:

Ha, 'Faster, you claim Merckx won this, won that over Lance, but who's the greater rider on a stationary bike in a gym - Lance or Eddie?  Lance holds the record!  Bet you didn't know that!!  And for those of who do the stationary bike at the gym -- that matters and is the whole Grail.  

Big deal, 5 Giro di Italias!!  Could he play a virtual reality Tour De Andorra?  Probably not.  

So Lance is the greater cyclist!   :wwww:

(OK, seriously now.  There is a Merckx racer this year.  Is he related to your hero, Faster? )

Archived