What Are The "game Changers"?

I am curious to know what members think the 'game changers' - those things that can make or break the final weeks of the race leading to Copenhagen - will be. Is it all backroom dealings that will change IOC votes or are there highly public things that can derail or stimulate a bid at this point in time? Just curious what other members think.

I can imagine that a very good presentation of the bid could convinced undecided IOC members to vote for a city

For me personally it is very important that a city is aware that they don't "own" the games but offer the stage of an international event to which people from all over the world come - like Sydney - Sydney offered the perfect mixture - Sydney welcomed everybody with open arms and offered the world the city as a kind of stage - and the whole world was watching - the Aussies didn't strain the Olympic Games with overrated national pride like in Beijing and to a minor extent in Athens - the Aussies wanted to have fun together with their guests...

I can imagine that a very good presentation of the bid could convinced undecided IOC members to vote for a city

For me personally it is very important that a city is aware that they don't "own" the games but offer the stage of an international event to which people from all over the world come - like Sydney - Sydney offered the perfect mixture - Sydney welcome everybody with open arms and offered the world the city as a kind of stage - and the whole world was watching - the Aussies didn't strained the Olympic Games with overrated national pride like in Beijing and to a minor extent in Athens - the Aussies wanted to have fun together with their guests...

A good presentation is essential at this moment. But each city has to stress its presentation on the weak points. And the way things have been treated untill now, Rio is the only city that can appeal to sentimental motivation while showing how will face its challenges. If another city came to use the same sentimental argument, that would sound fake.

lets wait and see, Raphael - you shouldn't deny that the other biding cities have a real sentimental motivation...

I even would say such deny would be extremely counterproductive..

I think you did not actually read what I wrote "And the way things have been treated untill now..."

Well, as has been mentioned, the presentations ARE important. They can sure sway a tight vote. I don't think there's a perfect formula to them - it depends on the mood and the issues on the actual day - but the presentations will have to "touch" the waverers.

Apart from that, I'd imagine there must be roving groups of Americans, Brazilians, Japanese and Spaniards stalking the globe trying to get the frantic last-minute lobbying done. (Actually, is that still allowed - to visit individual members). Anywa, if so, they've probably been in touch with all members by now and are trying to focus now on the doubtfuls and uncertains. It'll be interesting to see if a few big names start making goodwill swings through Africa, Asia etc. Pele or Havelange for Rio, maybe Bill Clinton or Michael Jordan for Chicago, invites from the Samaranch's for Madrid. Not sure who overly influential Tokyo could dredge up.

I suppose Chicago want to make a big splash if or when it's decided Obama will go to Copenhagen. I don't think he's a campaign clincher for this, but NOT going would make an impression for sure.

And watch out for last-minute gaffes and unwise comments, which are probably more likely as the big day gets closer and the campaigns and their supporters start to play a bit more hardball and try to make veiled - or unveiled - criticisms of the others. Or comment on cuisines!

UNTIL NOW (a period of time that ends right now)

Rio made the best presentations (IOC told that, not me), IF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rio keeps the VERY-HIGH-QUALITY presentations, RIO MAYBE/CAN/SHOULD/WOULD/MAYBE II (and all conditional in English language...) have some advantage in the final battle

A game changer at this point? Financing failure. A terrorist attack. A political coup. An economic meltdown. A natural disaster. All things that could happen. But not likely.

At this point, it is just up to the lobbying, presentations, the avoidance of gaffes...and making sure you've shaken the right hands and said the right things in Copenhagen.

Archived